Disney Magazine Ceases Publication

prberk

SewIn2Disney said:
EXTREMLY well written!
I liked how you addressed the fact that some sections contined facts that could not be found on the internet (ask dave.....my favorite!) and the last paragraph about the subscription base...very true.
I hope you don't mind if I use your letter as a springboard for writing my own letter. Thank you for inspiration.

Thanks very much! Yes, you most certainly MAY borrow from my letter for your own. In fact, I hope a WHOLE LOT OF US write real letters to the powers that be. They are much more powerful, I think, than petitions or even calls or e-mail, because they take more dedication to do. But, either way...

IF YOU CARE ABOUT THIS MAGAZINE, PLEASE COMMUNCATE RIGHT NOW TO THE POWERS THAT BE. That is the only chance that I believe we have to save this wonderful magazine.

Paul

prberk

Aaka said:
Here's more back up that Disney Magazine is ceasing publication:

And here is a press release from The E-ffordable Magazine Co that goes over how letters will shortly be sent to the people who subscribe to Disney Magazine through them. The letters will offer a refund or a transfer to a different magazine.
http://i-newswire.com/pr15898.html

The E-ffordable Magazine Company (TEMCo)'s press release said the following:

i-Newswire, 2005-04-20 - "We've been flooded with calls from customers about the decision. Although most of the calls are from parents who have children who are worried that they will no longer be receiving Disney Magazine, some customers were concerned about the fact they've already paid for the magazine. And, we've reassured them, and we can reassure the rest of our customers, that they will get what they paid for-guaranteed."

Upon being notified by the publisher about the decision to cease publication of the magazine, TEMCo ( The E-ffordable Magazine Co ) executives immediately held an emergency meeting. "Yeah. Imagine that. It's tax time, and our biggest worry is Disney Magazine ceasing publication. It's a very important magazine for us. In fact, it's our biggest children's title. We were very concerned about the whole thing," says Jennifer Waley, Director of Circulation at TEMCo.

But, an hour and a half later, executives emerged from the meeting with a solution to their problem-and much less stressed than when they had entered.

"In about a week, our Disney Magazine subscribers will have received a letter explaining the situation to them. We are giving them the option to receive a complete refund, or to accept another magazine in Disney Magazine's place. The magazine that we are substituting is another Disney title named Disney Adventures. It's quite similar to Disney Magazine and we feel as though our customers will be happy with the magazine.

First: It is interesting that this was that company's biggest "children's" title (perhaps already including Disney Adventures, but unsure). They appear to be a discount magazine service (like Publisher's Clearinghouse).

Second: How in the world that they think that Disney Adventures (aimed straight at kids, and made up of activities) was "quite similar" to The Disney Magazine (an adult reading level but with features about the company that inquisitive kids would like) is crazy to me.

Sigh.

dstackel

So Disappointed

This is such disappointing news. To all those people that could not get to Disney Parks maybe as much as they like, this magazine was somewhat of a comfort. A way of keeping up with what was new in the parks and such. I personally am pretty upset to hear of its cancellation. I think it is just a big mistake, but then again, what do I know about the magazine industry haha... I am just sad

Gucci65

Aaka said:
Mickey is on the cover of the Spring 2005 edition. You can see a picture of it here http://disney.go.com/disneymagazine/

Notice that there is no subscription info on the page.

But I have to say, if the sales people are still misleading people over the phone and via e-mail at this point, that's pretty bad. If their vice-presidents are now being straight forward with the press, the sales reps should have been given new instructions to tell the real story to the consumers that contact them and not the fake answer of "Just a rumor, everything's alright" until the Summer issue comes out.

Thank you!! I wanted to make sure that I got mine and could not remember.

I'm with the rest of you, this is bad news. I looked forward to my magazine - helped me cope with not being able to visit the world as often as I would like.

Bravesfn1

End of Disney Magazine

To be honest, it really doesn't bother me that Disney Magazine is ending publication. I always thought the magazine was pretty bad anyways. I would maybe pick it up an browse through it on trips to the bookstore, nothing really ever jumped out at me to be that interesting. Plus. with the internet and sites such as WDW Magic, the information in the magazine was already old news by the time it hit news stands. I find the internet to be a much better resource that makes the Disney Magazine unnecessary.

tigger248

MKCustodial said:
As many have said, only Ask Dave and the inside info on theme parks and such were bits that really can't be found on the web.

There is a weekly email newsletter called the Disney Insider that I receive. It has an Ask Dave section. It's only one question and answer, but still its Ask Dave. I think I signed up for it when I registered at disney.com

WDWScottieBoy

I know I'll be taking my refund for my subscription that runs out in 2008. :(

And how on earth can they say that Disney Adventures is comparable. It doesn't have an article at the back about Walt or someone special in the company. It doesn't go into detail about the parks, the company, etc.

What it does do, is give cartoons, updates on tennie boppers and things that are geared more towards children. I didn't know that the Disney Magazine was really a children's magazine since everyone I know that gets it is an adult or older teen.

I'll be really sad to see it go and I wish it wouldn't have to. So much for the only magazine that I ever read. :cry:

it398

the disney magazine website has removed the payment options and e-mail option links. all they have left is an advert for the current issue.
this is such a bummer as it took me ages to work out how to get it shipped to england and i've only had about 5 issues.

Dayma

Although I liked the magazine it always left me wanting more. With the internet the news was old and the history articles were too short.

disneyplanet

well got my last Disney magazine

it is real, no, they are gone...

what a choice.....

adventure (comic book ala 2000 disney, like mick[size=-1]elodeon[/size])
family fun (kinda like beter homes disney style)

why not refund as a choice...

xfkirsten

At least y'all get a choice... as a Premium Passholder, they automatically gave me Family Fun. I'd much rather have the Disney Adventures any day - I could care less about Family Fun. :(

DCA Fan

xfkirsten said:
At least y'all get a choice... as a Premium Passholder, they automatically gave me Family Fun. I'd much rather have the Disney Adventures any day - I could care less about Family Fun. :(
Agreed. I really found Disney Magazine informative and fun, but meh....I could blame Eisner for this as well, but I think I'm over that.

Woody13

DCA Fan said:
Agreed. I really found Disney Magazine informative and fun, but meh....I could blame Eisner for this as well, but I think I'm over that.
I'm starting to miss the Eisner rants. However, I'm sure I can look forward to many Iger rants in the future.

disneyplanet said:
it is real, no, they are gone...

what a choice.....

adventure (comic book ala 2000 disney, like mick[size=-1]elodeon[/size])
family fun (kinda like beter homes disney style)

why not refund as a choice...
you can get a refund. If you read the card it says that if you don't want either magazine to call the customer service line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom