Disney looking at using Nintendo DS systems as an interactive guide map?

goofntink

I found out about it the other day too about it being tested this week coming up and told my wife.I bought her a new DS Lite for Christmas,and she is really excited to try it out,we think it is going to be neat.

TheBeatles

I love my DS and I love Disney. Perfect.

I always wanted to see Nintendo do an exhibit inside Innoventions. It would be neat if they made custom games/activities exclusive to WDW.

tonganprince

awwwwwwww :brick:

Now I am wishing I didn't get my daughter the pink one for christmas! If this happens, I will not want to walk around with a pink DS.

bassman

sounds like a cool idea.

but wouldnt the water rides kind of mess up the DS's just a bit,water n electric dont go.
they would have to make it water proof or have someone who collects and looks after them whilst u ride.

DisneyMusician2

This is really a very cool concept. The idea of the dual screen is probably what makes this device better to use than a standard smartphone. The combinateion of touch and standard would provide greater flexibility for guest options and expandibility in the future.

It is also the most popular device for a younger crowd and less expensive for people to maintain on a month-to-month basis.

WDWFREAK53

Wait, so it won't work with the DS's that people have bought and own? That's just dumb.

Yes, get in another line to rent something that you need to carry to let you know how long lines are. It's one thing if it's something that you already have (cell phone, pda, etc.) but to have to rent additional equipment without having the ability to use your own is kinda redundant.

For instance...you're already carrying a cell phone. It would be the same as having the technology on a cell phone that you needed to rent from Disney. So now...you have two cellphones.

Hopefully this is just a trial run as a constant.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Remember, it's currently in a trial period, so nothing is totally guest ready yet, or ready to be deployed on a mass scale.

Ausdaddy

I can see this moving into the iPhone/iPod Touch very easily.

Think about it...Steve Jobs...and Disney. They're already one and the same.

Disney already has an exclusive iPhone website (basically their "mobile" site but prettier and uses the touch function much better).

I too think that the DS is just a stepping stone. It's a system that has pretty much locked the market with the kids. Most kids on vacation bring it along with them. Bam, there you go. A lot of people that have their units on them that are from the same manufacturer, the same hardware, the same technology.

While there is a great relationship there, I wouldn't expect iPhone development this early. It makes sense to develop for a device like the DS that has sold roughly 20 million in the U.S. alone (over 60 million worldwide). The iPhone is around 1.4 million or in that neighborhood. Kind of a waste to put resources into that small of an installed base. I do hope they open this up to all DS devices. I think they are merely renting them because it would be hard to test it otherwise.

Figment1986

So it won't be a bring your own, it's like renting Pal Mickey... LAME!!!

probably just for the test... they might be selling cartages later on if this test works, This also makes it work so they can control the test and not have it stress tested before they test it out with select individuals to see if the idea is worth implementing resort wide and then eventually at the other resorts too.

this sounds like a great replacement for the Pal Mickey concept they never continued on with.

WDWFREAK53

While there is a great relationship there, I wouldn't expect iPhone development this early. It makes sense to develop for a device like the DS that has sold roughly 20 million in the U.S. alone (over 60 million worldwide). The iPhone is around 1.4 million or in that neighborhood. Kind of a waste to put resources into that small of an installed base. I do hope they open this up to all DS devices. I think they are merely renting them because it would be hard to test it otherwise.

Mass marketing. People young and old visit WDW. Put the ability to rent one in people's hands for a trial period...it'll create buzz...VOILA. People really enjoying the technology of the "touch" and saying, "I NEED ONE OF THESE!"

I don't see this happening tomorrow...but with the Apple/Disney relationship and Apple becoming more mainstream and trendy...this may happen down the line.

Ausdaddy

Mass marketing. People young and old visit WDW. Put the ability to rent one in people's hands for a trial period...it'll create buzz...VOILA. People really enjoying the technology of the "touch" and saying, "I NEED ONE OF THESE!"

I don't see this happening tomorrow...but with the Apple/Disney relationship and Apple becoming more mainstream and trendy...this may happen down the line.

You never know. Anything can happen.

SewIn2Disney

My bf and I will be there from the 15-18th and we both have DS's. Do you have to be "chosen" to try this? Or is it wifi and we'll be able to get it if we bring our DS into the MK?
If it is random testing does anyone know a way to get a better chance of being chosen? i.e. are they handing them out at certain spots at certain times? Will they even give it to us because we're two 20somthing year olds without kids?
I know not much has been released, but I'm sure someone on here knows something. Also, how come there was no word of this prior to yesterday? It seems like such a big program, and to be only announced yesterday when they're starting in 5 days seems weird.
Anyway---I'm totally excited for this! I hope they can include current fast pass distribution times and possibly some games/trivia to play while waiting in line. I can't wait to see what the future holds for this.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
My bf and I will be there from the 15-18th and we both have DS's. Do you have to be "chosen" to try this? Or is it wifi and we'll be able to get it if we bring our DS into the MK?
If it is random testing does anyone know a way to get a better chance of being chosen? i.e. are they handing them out at certain spots at certain times? Will they even give it to us because we're two 20somthing year olds without kids?
I know not much has been released, but I'm sure someone on here knows something. Also, how come there was no word of this prior to yesterday? It seems like such a big program, and to be only announced yesterday when they're starting in 5 days seems weird.
Anyway---I'm totally excited for this! I hope they can include current fast pass distribution times and possibly some games/trivia to play while waiting in line. I can't wait to see what the future holds for this.

Disney have been looking at this for years now, it definately isn't something that has just popped up. The announcement hasnt really been made either. It's more of an information leak, and things being spotted in the parks. :) It seems as though the trial will be by invitation only, and random guests will be asked to try it. It also appears that it will be using Disney supplied hardware, and not guest provided hardware at this point,

terp79

This time last yr. I worked on a project for WDI dealt with the Nintendo DS. I'm not sure how successful the venture was. I know that when I was down in Orlando the project wasn't implemented but from what I hear they did try it at Disneyland for a short stint. It's nice to hear the the Imagineers didn't give up on using this technology.

Skippy_

They also could have implemented this into SSE, just using a kids toy, and saved Siemens a lot of money putting in their own.

I hope it's like that WDW Explorer PC game I used to have (just with wait times and menus)!

Skippy

WDWFREAK53

They also could have implemented this into SSE, just using a kids toy, and saved Siemens a lot of money putting in their own.

I hope it's like that WDW Explorer PC game I used to have (just with wait times and menus)!

Skippy

That would be awesome!

I remember a rumor flying around about something like this with Sprint/Nextel too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom