Disney looking at another island in the Bahamas

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While I am sure that Disney looking at another island is possible, my main question would be why? Why deal with all the new construction, red tape, bad press from protests, etc when you already have an island where only a fraction of the available land is developed? I would think that developing the back side of Castaway Cay would be a much better option.

Why does it seem like the rest of Disney have bottomless budgets, but when it comes to WDW, it us run on shoe strings. The park that has the highest attendance in the world gets next to no money to vastly improve both current and future offerings.
Like everything, it has to do with ROI. Disney makes more money per dollar invested from the cruise line than the parks. As I understand it the parks are toward the bottom of the list when it comes to ROI in Disney's portfolio. The cruise line is near, if not at the top so it makes sense to pour more money into it.

21stamps

While I am sure that Disney looking at another island is possible, my main question would be why? Why deal with all the new construction, red tape, bad press from protests, etc when you already have an island where only a fraction of the available land is developed? I would think that developing the back side of Castaway Cay would be a much better option.

Like everything, it has to do with ROI. Disney makes more money per dollar invested from the cruise line than the parks. As I understand it the parks are toward the bottom of the list when it comes to ROI in Disney's portfolio. The cruise line is near, if not at the top so it makes sense to pour more money into it.
....not to mention that Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Norwegian..etc etc etc etc. All have a lot more ships than DCL, yet still only have 1 island. I don't think 4 DCL ships will be sailing to the Bahamas.
Why does it seem like the rest of Disney have bottomless budgets, but when it comes to WDW, it us run on shoe strings. The park that has the highest attendance in the world gets next to no money to vastly improve both current and future offerings.
Disney World doesn't really have any competition.

DCL? Tons of competition. I booked an October 2017 trip on opening day. On the Wonder. (doing a very merrytime on Fantasy this year, and would like to do a Halloween next) but, I'm already thinking of cancelling for an Oasis class ship, I'm holding off a while longer to see how her dry dock goes.

Last edited:

21stamps

Let me explain-

If you want to take your child on a week vacay to see Mickey Mouse and all of the other characters they know and love, you have one choice - Disney World (or Disneyland).

If you want to take your child on a cruise to see different countries/places- you have several choices. Royal Caribbean especially has done an awesome job with family friendly cruising the past several years. So at that point it becomes- do I want to cruise with Mickey, or does it really matter? For me personally it depends on time of year, how port intensive the cruise is, as well as itinerary.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Will it have the new Hurricane experience? Or will the execs cut it back to a Tropical Depression??
9cbeb396-0cee-4f98-9eae-f5b411dcb048

Funmeister

Let me explain-

If you want to take your child on a week vacay to see Mickey Mouse and all of the other characters they know and love, you have one choice - Disney World (or Disneyland).

If you want to take your child on a cruise to see different countries/places- you have several choices. Royal Caribbean especially has done an awesome job with family friendly cruising the past several years. So at that point it becomes- do I want to cruise with Mickey, or does it really matter? For me personally it depends on time of year, how port intensive the cruise is, as well as itinerary.

People are no longer basing vacations solely on "seeing Mickey Mouse."

21stamps

Ci5HXIU.jpg

Actually WDW DOES have competition. Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, Legoland... This list goes on and on.
I think you missed the entire point of what I was saying, and the difference between a week cruise vacay vs a week park vacay. Big hint- I can choose almost any cruise line and still go to the same countries that I wish to visit regardless of if I choose DCL or someone else, but I can't go to Universal and meet Elsa or Kylo Ren.

Unfortunately, I don't have any cute little memes to respond with, so I'll just give up now.lol

Rteetz

Let me explain-

I think the port intensiveness and the itinerary only matters to someone who's been cruising already. A new cruiser just wants the cruise experience. A family new to cruising to me would seem more likely to choose Disney over royal because of the name and the experience they associate with them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom