• Yes

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jmarc63

Originally posted by JLW11Hi
Can someone post a picture of what the light rail system might look like? I mean, more to show just what a light rail "is".

Hers a pic of light rail

1 Overhead power lines provide electricity to cars.
2 Train wheels rest on two metal tracks

Attachments

• lightrail_diagram.jpg
    lightrail_diagram.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 119

goofyguy

Not a great picture, but here's the light rails system they've been building in Dallas over the last few years.

Attachments

• illinoisstation.jpg
    illinoisstation.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 112

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by goofyguy
Not a great picture, but here's the light rails system they've been building in Dallas over the last few years.

Bring that to WDW!!!

Even if it was to connect AK AND MGM!!! I love the look of that!
Give it a little Disney flair and it'll be awesome!

AndyMagic

Turbogames, that picture you posted from Chicago is what we call a train, not a light-rail. Like everyone just posted the main characteristic of a light-rail are the overhead power lines.

CmdrTostada

I know, but I looked up light rail and thats what came up. Also the second picture Jmarc posted isnt a light rail. It is a maglev it uses magnets to levitate, there working on so it will be frictionless so it can go faster than any other train, but it cost a load of money

Scar Junior

I am very against Light Rail. They are wasting millions of dollars here in Minnesota on a Light Rail for Mall of America, and a few other places. They said it would cost less money but Now they are almost out of funds and aren't even close to being done. Minnesota Department of Transportation is delaying road constrution and other more important jobs. I'm afraid Disney would do this too.

I also had a question: What happens with Light Rail during a severe thunderstorm? The electricity and all, i was wondering if it was safe. Florida does get more lightning than any other state.

RPMdfw

Goofyguy, you beat me too it! I was looking for a pic of the DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) light rail, and then found you'd already posted it!

And I agree, the DART trains do look cool, and I think they'd work well all over WDW.

WDWspider

Originally posted by RPMdfw
Goofyguy, you beat me too it! I was looking for a pic of the DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) light rail, and then found you'd already posted it!

And I agree, the DART trains do look cool, and I think they'd work well all over WDW.

Hasn't there been talk of one of these trains going from Tampa to Daytona, by way of Orlando? Or was that some other type of train system, it was suppose to be fast.

goofyguy

Originally posted by RPMdfw

I pulled the picture off the DART website. I agree, I like the way they look, although I've yet to take a ride on one.

I don't think I would mind some sort of light rail system at Disney, as long as they themed it well. Although, as discussed in another thread, light rail still wouldn't eleminate the need for buses, it would provide an alternate for those who aren't too fond of them.

goofyguy

Originally posted by spider-man

Hasn't there been talk of one of these trains going from Tampa to Daytona, by way of Orlando? Or was that some other type of train system, it was suppose to be fast.

I believe that was supposed to be some sort of high-speed rail system. Something like the bullet trains they have in Japan.

WDWspider

Originally posted by goofyguy

I believe that was supposed to be some sort of high-speed rail system. Something like the bullet trains they have in Japan.

Oh, that's right ;) , thanks. They are looking at putting a central hub for one of those trains right here where I live. It's very close to becoming a reality, the old train station is being renovated, the sunken tracks are going to be covered with a Promenade, and the rail plans are being decided now. Anyway, I digress...:snore:

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by Scar Junior
I am very against Light Rail. They are wasting millions of dollars here in Minnesota on a Light Rail for Mall of America, and a few other places. They said it would cost less money but Now they are almost out of funds and aren't even close to being done. Minnesota Department of Transportation is delaying road constrution and other more important jobs. I'm afraid Disney would do this too.

I also had a question: What happens with Light Rail during a severe thunderstorm? The electricity and all, i was wondering if it was safe. Florida does get more lightning than any other state.

Say, I kinda pictured the light rail system to look like that. That's like what the really old rail car thingies used to be like when you look at old pictures of New York and Hollywood. You know what I am talking about? There is a replica of one at the end of Sunset Boulevard at MGM, its a merchandise stand. I think these would be cool to have at MGM for a mode of transportation. They could have it go around the park like the train at MK. Just a thought...

Goofster

I'm sorry to get a little off topic, but if we're talking about maglev's is there anyone on the board from the baltimore/DC area? I'd like to know how things are going on the Maglev project there. I would expect they are having the same problems we are having- people not wanting the maglev going thru their backyard.

For everybody who doesn't know ( which is probably everybody ) Pittsburgh is competing with Baltimore/DC to get govt funds to build a maglev. I would love to see it happen here!

And coming back on topic- i would rather have that train than the light rail, but give it a bit of a futuristic twist, and a light rail could be cool.

jmarc63

Recently I was looking at the Monorail Society website. I was reading an article off of one of the links and in the sixties the Alweg company had used the Seattle monorail as a Prototype for getting the city of Los Angles to approve a monorail for LA. Alweg was going to design and build the line and then get there maney back from fares. expecting to take areund 3 to 5 years . Well wouldnt you know the route proposed with some minor deviations for the Monorail is exactly where the new light rail is now.

Check out the article here

http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/LA1963.html

conntom

I think a new monorail would work better then the light rail
after all monorails are a part of Disney why go new when the
old way works. Right now Disney is not looking to spend money
any way :D

bamboo7

i think it would be neat to see disney add a new mass transit system, or expand on an existing one, but the fact is that the current system works well. This leads me to beleive that a new mass transit system will not be added unless one of two things happens:
1. the current system fails (the busses become too crouded or something)
2. a new system is found that is a vast improvement over an existing one.

i don't see either of those two things happening any time soon, so i don't see any huge changes in wdw transportation happening any time soon. This certainly isn't meant to put down those who are discussing the possabilities of new transit systems (i found these threads to be very interesting). This is just my take on the practicallity of it happening.

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by conntom
I think a new monorail would work better then the light rail
after all monorails are a part of Disney why go new when the
old way works. Right now Disney is not looking to spend money
any way :D

But there was a time when monorails wernt a part of Disney! Who knows, a new system could become just as recognizable with Disney as the monorail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom