News Disney launching 'Play Disney Parks' app this summer

MaC410

Pandora took over, and expanded an existing land. Yes it increased capacity, I will give you that. DHS was so far under capacity it needs the two new lands to even be considered a full day park. GotG is another refurb and may or may not add capacity. Rat is a welcome addition, I loved the DLP version and area. MK added Belle's Castle and a few other food options or enhanced options.

I'm not ignoring what they have done, but trying to point out how much more they still need to do to keep up with the increased demand for park resources.

EDIT: I wonder if the allusion to the app being used in SGE could indicate anything regarding the use of an app in the SW resort?

GotG isn't just "another refurb". It's a completely new ride taking over the space for an attraction that people pretty much only went on to take a nap. It's going to be a hugely popular addition to the park.

Missing20K

GotG isn't just "another refurb". It's a completely new ride taking over the space for an attraction that people pretty much only went on to take a nap. It's going to be a hugely popular addition to the park.

Ok. So another long queue to wait in while I enjoy this awesome new app.

aw14

I received a notification that the pre order was out, so I checked and it is now on my phone.

Granted certain aspects are for in park only, but it seems like a cute way to pass the time through the parks when in ques. I like the little music feature for certain areas.

NeedMoreMickey

Apple Music seems totally unrelated, which requires Apple's monthly subscription. I wonder if the parks app will be free or filled with ads.
I can see the ads now for a Dolewhip or Mickey pretzel or Mickey ice cream bar. Wonder how many popcorn buckets they need to sell to cove the cost of developing the app? That being said I’ll probably still download it and check it out

Edit - just downloaded the app to check out the music and it is a little part of a song and you can add it to your playlist for a price

Attachments

• 2D174FF2-B31E-4206-9D2F-26C75A6212C9.jpeg
    2D174FF2-B31E-4206-9D2F-26C75A6212C9.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

dreamfinder

I can see the ads now for a Dolewhip or Mickey pretzel or Mickey ice cream bar. Wonder how many popcorn buckets they need to sell to cove the cost of developing the app? That being said I’ll probably still download it and check it out

But that's just it though. I'm positive someone has the data from studies showing that being able to play games in the queue increase guest satisfaction by X%, and the 20k it cost to develop the app is a far cry from adding a new ride to increase guest satisfaction by 5X% for 200 million. They could do 5 smaller things for a fraction of the cost and get a similar overall increase in satisfaction.

Now of course, if they had been investing all along, spreading out crowds and properly maintaining infrastructure instead of pushing things to the breaking point it would be a non issue.

And I can bet alot of people on these boards would like to know that the nearest Mickey bar stand is only 15 feet North on a sweltering July day, so a push notification ad wouldn't necessarily be evil.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
But that's just it though. I'm positive someone has the data from studies showing that being able to play games in the queue increase guest satisfaction by X%, and the 20k it cost to develop the app is a far cry from adding a new ride to increase guest satisfaction by 5X% for 200 million. They could do 5 smaller things for a fraction of the cost and get a similar overall increase in satisfaction.

Now of course, if they had been investing all along, spreading out crowds and properly maintaining infrastructure instead of pushing things to the breaking point it would be a non issue.

And I can bet alot of people on these boards would like to know that the nearest Mickey bar stand is only 15 feet North on a sweltering July day, so a push notification ad wouldn't necessarily be evil.

You mean you don't already know where the nearest stand that sells Mickey ice cream bars is at all times? Amateur... :p

Gringrinngghost

For those wondering how the Play Disney Parks app works, It uses location services just to ensure you are in the area. Trivia Questions are already in the app so in theory, you can play using LTE and not be connected to the park wifi. App Permissions want Bluetooth settings so bluetooth beacons might also be involved, which would also make sense, but in a working environment, might not.

Across all the parks this app works in, there are 817 questions. There are a few minigames as well.

Last edited:

Gillyanne

Edit - just downloaded the app to check out the music and it is a little part of a song and you can add it to your playlist for a price

Wait does the iPhone version have Epcot available? And is the music just played while roaming the app etc? I'm on android, and we only had MK and MGM available (Epcot and AK say coming soon) and I also don't regularly have sound turned up on my phone, so if there was music, I totally missed it while exploring this morning....

SuperStretccch

Bluetooth is also used for linking players in the multiplayer minigames.

Plus, it seems that you can play the minigames without actually being in the park. If you tap the "Stand in the queue" button and choose "I'm in the queue", it lets you proceed to the player selection screen.

I haven't actually tested any of the minigames, but will try to this weekend.

Gringrinngghost

Wait does the iPhone version have Epcot available? And is the music just played while roaming the app etc? I'm on android, and we only had MK and MGM available (Epcot and AK say coming soon) and I also don't regularly have sound turned up on my phone, so if there was music, I totally missed it while exploring this morning....
Epcot and AK Trivia questions are in the application already (Android).

aw14

Epcot and AK Trivia questions are in the application already (Android).
iOS has trivia in all parks too I believe

Edit: just tried the Peter Pan game and the Space Mountain game. They do work when not in the parks. I’m currently in NJ and no problem.

Last edited:

MaC410

I really want to do the trivia at home but if they don't frequently update the app with new trivia questions the trivia will probably be stale by the time our next trip comes haha!

SuperStretccch

How do I get to them? b/c EP & AK are "greyed out" coming soon, I can't even select them....

Edit: I'm on a Note 3 which is only 5.0 Lollipop so I wonder if it has something to do w/ my older OS...

I have an LG with 7.0 Nougat and it also shows "coming soon" for me.

Are there people that can actually access it? I just didn't think they had it ready for anyone to use yet.

Last edited:

Gringrinngghost

How do I get to them? b/c EP & AK are "greyed out" coming soon, I can't even select them....

Edit: I'm on a Note 3 which is only 5.0 Lollipop so I wonder if it has something to do w/ my older OS...
iOS has trivia in all parks too I believe

Edit: just tried the Peter Pan game and the Space Mountain game. They do work when not in the parks. I’m currently in NJ and no problem.
I have an LG with 7.0 Nougat and it also shows "coming soon" for me.

Are there people that can actually access it? I just didn't think they had it ready for anyone to use yet.

All I know is that they are in the app, not sure of availability. I was able to deconstruct the APK and saw the trivia questions for them in one of the files.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom