Disney Labor Shortage

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why not make it $25 or $35 then? Surely more I better?

'make it'?

You do realize wages come from sales revenues... not the wage fairy right? :)

IMO this is the perfect storm of covid, plus new societal changes.

In my area you can get $15/hr now working at Sheetz... which is one step above McDonalds. Even retail is paying $12+hr. I know businesses paying $17 and $19/hr for no prior training needed work.. and still can't get enough people. And they people they do get, half of them never end up showing up for work. People don't even acknowledge they quit anymore, they just ghost their employer. Literally they have failure rates of 75% IN THE FIRST WEEK.

Making it worse is all the incentives needed just to get people to interview. They are paying $500 to new hires... people just show up to qualify, then never come back.

There is just so much S((*&T attitude from workers out there.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
'make it'?

In my area you can get $15/hr now working at Sheetz... which is one step above McDonalds. Even retail is paying $12+hr. I know businesses paying $17 and $19/hr for no prior training needed work.. and still can't get enough people. And they people they do get, half of them never end up showing up for work. People don't even acknowledge they quit anymore, they just ghost their employer. Literally they have failure rates of 75% IN THE FIRST WEEK.

Making it worse is all the incentives needed just to get people to interview. They are paying $500 to new hires... people just show up to qualify, then never come back.

Maybe if people had to pick grapes for a few seasons just to make enough to survive... shuck oysters... peel shrimp or crawfish... cut lawns and trim foliage...

they'd appreciate $17 an hour refolding pants and rehanging shirts.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why not make it $25 or $35 then? Surely more I better?
Right...they should raise prices and keep it at minimum...

because the price raise isn’t negotiable
Raise it to $25 per hour from $20 per hour is what the local bank did. Customers now have to wait longer at the drive thru, meet with a personal banker and or wait in line for a teller. Staffing has been cut to have less workers on staff.
I bet that’s so horrible to deal with 🤔

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
'make it'?

Sheetz?!?

ahhh...yinz been holding out on me dahntahn all dis time 👍🏻

flynnibus

Premium Member
Maybe if people had to pick grapes for a few seasons just to make enough to survive... shuck oysters... peel shrimp or crawfish... cut lawns and trim foliage...

they'd appreciate $17 an hour refolding pants and rehanging shirts.

Problem is the mentality that 'everyone' is owed a good living job. People forgot to check if the 'everyone' are willing to hold up their end of the bargain! Because most don't... but are quick to blame everyone else for their woes.

Seriously - the labor situation is unlike anything I have seen in 20+ years of hiring people. Entitlement has gone TO THE MOON!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Problem is the mentality that 'everyone' is owed a good living job. People forgot to check if the 'everyone' are willing to hold up their end of the bargain! Because most don't... but are quick to blame everyone else for their woes.

Seriously - the labor situation is unlike anything I have seen in 20+ years of hiring people. Entitlement has gone TO THE MOON!
That’s a natural progression based on what happened.

1980’s:labor bad...everyone should be rich!

1990’s: all work bad...everyone play the stock market

2000-today: now that we’re all rich...let’s buy everything. No need to wait for Christmas...hell, don’t wait for payday! Buy it up...Amazon has got it.

the real problem is that we depend on the have nots in a “post industrial” or “service” economy.
Turns out...covid made them not want to be in the last group of have nots.

good luck stuffing that genie back in the bottle

Willmark

Raise it to $25 per hour from $20 per hour is what the local bank did. Customers now have to wait longer at the drive thru, meet with a personal banker and or wait in line for a teller. Staffing has been cut to have less workers on staff.
So what you’re saying is arbitrary raising labor rates has real life consequences.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

So what you’re saying is arbitrary raiding labor rates has really life consequences.
I assume you meant "raising"? Otherwise, I don't understand what you mean.

Autocorrect has gotten me a few times too.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Philips curve yet in this discussion.

Willmark

I assume you meant "raising"? Otherwise, I don't understand what you mean.

Autocorrect has gotten me a few times too.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Philips curve yet in this discussion.
Likewise I’m surprised (yet not) that nobody has discussed the concept of scarcity as it applies to employment.

Generally speaking I tune out most people when they say $15 an hour with no accounting of skill set and who might be able to perform a similar of exact function.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Likewise I’m surprised (yet not) that nobody has discussed the concept of scarcity as it applies to employment.

Generally speaking I tune out most people when they say $15 an hour with no accounting of skill set and who might be able to perform a similar of exact function.

Generally speaking, I tune out most people who don't realize that the Federal minimum wage ($7.25/hr, $15k/yr) hasn't been raised in the past 10 years and thus, they lost nearly 10% of their very low wage buying power due to inflation. Additionally, if that Federal minimum wage was pegged to U.S. productivity and not inflation, then the lowest paid workers would be getting $24 an hour.

Many legislative schemes to raise minimum wage is to do it over time, so that it's $15 by 2025, by which time it comes out a little ahead of inflation (and still very far behind productivity) from a decade ago.

But now we're in a situation where the free market law of supply and demand has companies falling over themselves to attract labor with a minimum of $15/hr. Free market capitalists should be very happy that the market is working!!

Lilofan

It is fairly understood that for small business owners that raise their pay for their staff that the increased spending on payroll will impact the consumer in terms of higher prices goods and or an owner looking at outsourcing their work to include automation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom