Disney Labor Shortage

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Are Hourly rates too low so that they effectively negate any signing bonus? Maybe the living wage has been adjusted by this pandemic. Will WDW respond?
WDW's minimum wage has been $14 this past year and will go to $15 in the Fall (under a union plan agreed to a few years ago).

FL's minum wage is: $8.65. A ballot initiative forced FL's minimum wage to increase to $15... by 2026. (Tip employees get $3/hr less than minimum.)

Uni just raised theirs to $15, as has many businesses hungry for workers.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Are Hourly rates too low so that they effectively negate any signing bonus? Maybe the living wage has been adjusted by this pandemic. Will WDW respond?
The union contract ends in Oct 2022 and it would not surprise me if Disney and UNITE Here have quietly started poking back and forth with Disney possibly wanting to raise wages more quickly to deal with their labor shortage. That is 100% speculation, but it’s worth noting that they are clearly in open discussions as many of the Covid rule rollbacks required union leadership approval.

Disstevefan1

My family and I just returned home from a 10 day long Disney vacation about a week ago. One thing we noticed while we were there is that it is very obvious they are in desperate need of more employees. Dining reservations across the property would be completely full, but when we went to any restaurant half the tables would be empty. Waiters and waitresses were visibly more stressed than we remember them in vacations' past, especially in restaurants that are normally a buffet but because of COVID are now family style, like Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club.

It's really a shame and I heard that Disney is working really hard to onboard more employees, but with COVID coming to an end and an influx of people coming to Disney to vacation since they couldn't go last year, I hope they can fix their lack of staffing problem sooner rather than later.
Disney Parks laid off some 32,000 workers due to covid.

The layoffs were quick and easy for Disney, some getting just an email saying they were laid off.

Obviously, it's a lot harder to onboard employees and who knows how many were laid off never to return.

Lilofan

The layoffs were quick and easy for Disney, some getting just an email saying they were laid off.

Obviously, it's a lot harder to onboard employees and who knows how many were laid off never to return.
Uhaul took full advantage of consumer demand to relocate when rates were also sky high during covid while many were laid off throughout the nation. To rent a Uhaul truck to move from San Francisco to Dallas a few months ago which is a cheaper cost of living was $4K. It would not be surprising that some that were laid off left Central FL.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The union contract ends in Oct 2022 and it would not surprise me if Disney and UNITE Here have quietly started poking back and forth with Disney possibly wanting to raise wages more quickly to deal with their labor shortage. That is 100% speculation, but it’s worth noting that they are clearly in open discussions as many of the Covid rule rollbacks required union leadership approval.
Right to lay off state...I’ll remind...any “wins” by the unions/trades are typically 100% dictated by Disney.
Now if the labor crunch continues for another year?? Then maybe you got something. Can’t overcharge for what you can’t staff.

Uhaul took full advantage of consumer demand to relocate when rates were also sky high during covid while many were laid off throughout the nation. To rent a Uhaul truck to move from San Francisco to Dallas a few months ago which is a cheaper cost of living was $4K. It would not be surprising that some that were laid off left Central FL.
It’s just a long time to “sit tight”

you don’t get rich working for Disney unless you have a parking space in view of a dwarf. They’re wages are fine now...but still not a lot of money If we cut through it. Plus the management is underpaid by industry standards (get to wear your own shirt and clever name tag though)...

and since Orlando is about 90% tourism driven (the locals decry its not so...they’re wrong)...when you get a raise it’s immediately sucked up by housing, utilities and entertainment. Trickle up. Not like these figures don’t get to the sentinel.

it was a LONG Time to wait and depend on florida UE (and the federal stuff financed by the big evil yankee states)...

I can see exodus by fear or need. The travel Train ground to a halt with no end of the tunnel in sight. It would have scared me.

TK294

What I remember from my last trip is that everything was impacted. Tried going to ICON one evening and the craving for Mexican food hit me, so decided to head over to Uncle Julio's. This was around 7pm on a Tuesday. I asked how long the wait would be - response - if you don't have a reservation we can't seat you. Not due to the crowd. Due to the availability of staff.

Encountered that at the next 2 restaurants I tried to hit there. Finally decided to get out of that area and hit an Alehouse close to Universal. Well, 45 minute wait at about 8:30pm on a Tuesday. At least I ate.

Wendy's was the next option.
In the 2 months or so we've lived here, we have encountered that several times. It's not just the theme parks having that problem. We've noticed it also happening at banks, Walmart and two of the largest fast food chains. A local landscaper and a painter are also having staffing issues.
Forget about making reservations for this weekend (Father's Day).
We're praying everything gets better and more people have the opportunity to work.

spock8113

With all the government money being thrown around to "help" people out, some have found they make more money on unemployment with the extra temporary benefits. That will probably end in another month or two and then people will either go back to work or unemployment will jump significantly. I think Disney is hiring "new" people back but at a lower salary than what some were making before the pandemic. "It's the economics, stupid." I don't know what Disney got, if anything thru the pandemic, but they certainly got a considerable savings with the 2017 tax cuts (35% down to 21%-not that they were paying that much). Companies who got these tax breaks said they would apply the money to improving their businesses, raising salaries, benefits and hire more people. It doesn't sound like that is happening. So far it's mostly been stock buy-backs with the exception of Walmart who allegedly DID increase their employees salaries.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We'll see the effect of ending the Fed subsidy soon enough...

Here are the new end dates for the 25 states announcing an early halt to enhanced jobless benefits. If your state is not listed below, those benefits are set to expire on Labor Day.

Early end dates for enhanced jobless benefits in 25 states

Expiration
State
June 12
Alaska, Iowa, Mississippi, Missouri
June 19
Alabama, Idaho, Indiana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Dakota, West Virginia, Wyoming
June 26
Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Ohio, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah
June 27
Montana, Oklahoma
July 3
Maryland, Tennessee
July 10
Arizona
Some of those states, including Arizona, Montana, New Hampshire and Oklahoma, will instead offer financial incentives for individuals to find work.
States that are not ceasing their participation in federal programs could reimpose stricter rules -- many of which were suspended during the pandemic -- for those collecting unemployment. Hawaii, for example, is requiring that jobless workers prove they are actively searching for work.
Other states, like Colorado and Connecticut, are continuing the $300 payments but offering their own new-job bonuses. New York may also join in implementing signing bonuses for those who take and hold a job. Since each state has varying requirements, check with your state for rules.

Lilofan

In the 2 months or so we've lived here, we have encountered that several times. It's not just the theme parks having that problem. We've noticed it also happening at banks, Walmart and two of the largest fast food chains. A local landscaper and a painter are also having staffing issues.
Forget about making reservations for this weekend (Father's Day).
We're praying everything gets better and more people have the opportunity to work.
Some of the biggest labor shortages are call centers or even WDW in general. Tried calling the WDW operator, not even a hello, just put on hold for 10 min and I just hung up. At the parks we've met some cast members that are seniors who said they work a few months a year at WDW then live the rest of the year up North. That specific group may have been impacted since seniors are the most vulnerable group regarding covid. Getting a contractor , one can forget getting someone quickly. I have talked with one. He said he can't even get an extra helper. He said some can make the same money staying home. Some have found an opportunity - stay at home and get paid.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Peter Pan queue at 5 pm today.

Disgusting.

4ED3E016-351D-41D0-A3CC-D528A86CA47C.jpeg

wdrive

Another sticking point is people have been saying "if you don't like your job waitressing/flipping burgers/cashiering, get a different job".

So they did, and now people are irritated they don't have enough people to serve them?? 🤦‍♀️

I’ve said that for years, and I’m not irritated, I’m quite enjoying watching it unfold truth be told.

It’s a great argument for raising wages. Something I feel should have already happened instead of desperate attempts at hiring people by saying you can now have tattoos and nail varnish.

John park hopper

Supply and demand --if Disney has a labor shortage and they want quality people they will have to pay more. But then again Disney is beholden to their stock holders and if they can get away with less staff it means a bigger bottom line. Get used to over flowing trash cans
4ED3E016-351D-41D0-A3CC-D528A86CA47C.jpeg

Last edited:

Lilofan

Why not make it $25 or $35 then? Surely more I better?
Raise it to $25 per hour from $20 per hour is what the local bank did. Customers now have to wait longer at the drive thru, meet with a personal banker and or wait in line for a teller. Staffing has been cut to have less workers on staff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom