Disney Labor Shortage

Corgi

Original Poster
My family and I just returned home from a 10 day long Disney vacation about a week ago. One thing we noticed while we were there is that it is very obvious they are in desperate need of more employees. Dining reservations across the property would be completely full, but when we went to any restaurant half the tables would be empty. Waiters and waitresses were visibly more stressed than we remember them in vacations' past, especially in restaurants that are normally a buffet but because of COVID are now family style, like Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club.

It's really a shame and I heard that Disney is working really hard to onboard more employees, but with COVID coming to an end and an influx of people coming to Disney to vacation since they couldn't go last year, I hope they can fix their lack of staffing problem sooner rather than later.

DisAl

My family and I just returned home from a 10 day long Disney vacation about a week ago. One thing we noticed while we were there is that it is very obvious they are in desperate need of more employees. Dining reservations across the property would be completely full, but when we went to any restaurant half the tables would be empty. Waiters and waitresses were visibly more stressed than we remember them in vacations' past, especially in restaurants that are normally a buffet but because of COVID are now family style, like Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club.

It's really a shame and I heard that Disney is working really hard to onboard more employees, but with COVID coming to an end and an influx of people coming to Disney to vacation since they couldn't go last year, I hope they can fix their lack of staffing problem sooner rather than later.
I agree that they are struggling to find employees when some of the restaurants are offering $500 signing bonuses. However, the empty tables were more likely to be for distancing since there were no dining reservations available in the parks May 29 - June 5. Thankfully we already had the three we wanted. We noticed the same thing at quick service restaurants; half the tables empty but no times available but also no lines at the pickup points.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

Sadly the lack of International Program workers and College Program workers has been a huge burden. Disney has been hiring as fast as possible and the College Program is restarting as we speak. I think they will be in a better spot soon, but until the International Program returns and all of the people filling in at World Showcase move back to their normal jobs, I don’t anticipate we will see full staffing. Hopefully that starts to happen this fall.

Lilofan

Family style buffet instead of the regular buffet is definitely more work for the wait staff and understandably the stress the cast are experiencing.

JIMINYCR

As mentioned above, the empty tables are due to the still enforced spacing and distancing due to the still in place Covid policies. Disney is slowly adding their workforce as they can justify needing them. The more restaurants open up and as more tables can be used youll see staff returning. Adding additional staff will continue property wide as more programs, events begin again and as parks need more workers to handle the crowds and any increase in hours.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
It was a perfect storm, with the extra bonus in unemployment many were making more not working.
National it's a problem. Here in Philadelphia we're totally mandate free and EVERYONE is struggling finding employees.
I keep hearing that theory but many higher paying blue collar industries also have a labor shortage. I guess with several states ending the bonus unemployment benefits this week we will know soon enough if that was really the problem or if the problem is a mix of older and international workers leaving the market permanently leaving a massive mismatch of the skill sets/pay expectations of the currently unemployed and the jobs available.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom