News Disney is restoring the Wonders of Life facade

HauntedMansionFLA

I have to concede to your Florida expertise. My use of the word comes from experience with "districts" in Vermont which were commonly known as municipalities that were allowed to tax and operate a lot of small local utilities. I suspect that Improvement Districts have the same powers, however, I don't know that for sure.
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::p:p:p:cry::cry::cry:

Monorail_Red_77

I have to concede to your Florida expertise. My use of the word comes from experience with "districts" in Vermont which were commonly known as municipalities that were allowed to tax and operate a lot of small local utilities. I suspect that Improvement Districts have the same powers, however, I don't know that for sure.
Yes it is similar, they are not exactly the same but Reddy Creek more than other improvement districts is more similar to a municipality. They set their own building codes, sell bonds for infrastructure projects, has their own fire dept, water production, waste water treatment, natural gas distribution, electric distribution and power generation. All of the things your local city could do.
Reedy Creek is an improvement district that holds the powers of a traditional city. So like how you go to your local city for water or other utilities, building permits and such. The governing powers or business side of a city. The two city’s that contain Walt Disney World, Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista are cities that people actually living there. Roughly seven families in each. Give or take. This is for voting purposes with Reedy Creek concerns. Like you would your own local town. Those residents even own land with the confines of Reedy Creeks control area, a separate part of Reedy Creek is Reedy Creek Energy Services. When Celebration was de-annexed so those residents couldn’t vote in Reedy Creek matters. Just outside of Celebration, Reedy Creek still controls all of the canals and other utility easements. They provide to Celebration things like natural gas, water, etc. they did something a bit different with Golden Oak. They spun that off as it’s own company and land but Disney still controls it through Golden Oak Development, LLC. Four seasons right next door though was sold their land that they sit on. There is also areas outside of Disney’s two cities that is unincorporated Reedy Creek Land that they also control. This is mostly out west towards 429 and past up to Avalon rd (CR 545). Also they used to own crossroads plaza. Jump to the other side of I-4 in this area and you have Mickey’s Retreat that they also own. This is also the current area of the College Programs 4 residential areas. Until of course they move this out to Flamingo Crossings. Which is run by Flamingo Crossings development again controlled by Disney separate from WDW control.

Sorry for the ramble. Make this makes more sense, maybe not?

Surfin' Tuna

The two city’s that contain Walt Disney World, Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista are cities that people actually living there. Roughly seven families in each. Give or take. This is for voting purposes with Reedy Creek concerns. Like you would your own local town. Those residents even own land with the confines of Reedy Creeks control area

Please continue to ramble, but I am confused about this one. I did not think the residences owned that land. I thought one of the companies owned the land, and the residents leased the land. Thus preserving the ability to remove tenants/empolyees that they didn't want to live there any longer. It would also prevent the land from being sold outside of the control of the company. This has nothing to do with the thread, but you seem to know more than I do.

Monorail_Red_77

Please continue to ramble, but I am confused about this one. I did not think the residences owned that land. I thought one of the companies owned the land, and the residents leased the land. Thus preserving the ability to remove tenants/empolyees that they didn't want to live there any longer. It would also prevent the land from being sold outside of the control of the company. This has nothing to do with the thread, but you seem to know more than I do.

They do not own the land they live on. They own a small acre size plot of land within the WDW property. I’ll have to get a screenshot later today. There is a small piece just north of EPCOT in the middle of the woods owned by one. There are also about 3 parcels together at the far north end of property owned by three different people too.

Goofyernmost

They do not own the land they live on. They own a small acre size plot of land within the WDW property. I’ll have to get a screenshot later today. There is a small piece just north of EPCOT in the middle of the woods owned by one. There are also about 3 parcels together at the far north end of property owned by three different people too.
Mostly under water, no doubt.:in pain::grumpy:

HauntedMansionFLA

I assume the paint job on the outside is done since F&W starts up on Thursday?? I was hoping the whole dome would be painted a brighter color of gold that matches the window areas.

Goofyernmost

I assume the paint job on the outside is done since F&W starts up on Thursday?? I was hoping the whole dome would be painted a brighter color of gold that matches the window areas.
Not sure that I follow your statement. What brighter color matching what windows? Looks the same as it always did in the early years to me, what do you see that I don't? Not being critical, just curious about it.

DreamfinderGuy

Since this thread died and was then bumped/derailed, let me catch people up to speed if nobody already knows. Painting finished and the walls went down, but then they went back up a few days ago. Doesn't it reopen in like, two days?

Spash007

Could the walls put up recently be for prep for F&W? I’m guessing it’s wouldn’t take too long to put up the logo, banners and some landscaping.

At the same time, has it been confirmed that WoL will house the festival center this year?

Monorail_Red_77

Here's a screen shot of a parcel of land directly north of EPCOT in the wooded area North of EPCOT Center Dr. the pink highlight is location, the info to the right shows who owns it, etc. This is from Orange County Prop Appraiser Site. There are small parcels like this all over WDW Property. This property I picked a just over 5 acres.

wdw resident prop holding.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Here's a screen shot of a parcel of land directly north of EPCOT in the wooded area North of EPCOT Center Dr. the pink highlight is location, the info to the right shows who owns it, etc. This is from Orange County Prop Appraiser Site. There are small parcels like this all over WDW Property. This property I picked a just over 5 acres.

View attachment 306786

So, can the owners come and pitch a tent on their little piece of land if they want? ;)

Monorail_Red_77

View attachment 306786
The point of all these ramblings of mine. I think that RCID is a little closer to city municipality than straight up standard Improvement District. Where other Improvement Districts only worry with water production or something along those lines.

Monorail_Red_77

Could the walls put up recently be for prep for F&W? I’m guessing it’s wouldn’t take too long to put up the logo, banners and some landscaping.

At the same time, has it been confirmed that WoL will house the festival center this year?
It's on the WDW website and also Mickey Monitor mailout.

Goofyernmost

So, can the owners come and pitch a tent on their little piece of land if they want? ;)
If you didn't mind sharing it with critters that spend a lot of time around swamps. They probably don't even have a right of way to those parcels, it's just so that they can have a solid ownership within the district that allows them to vote. I'm sure that if WDW ever goes belly up or they decide to put another park right there, their ship will come in.

Kman101

I was hoping they would do some major landscaping and horticulture work here now that the building is repainted. It’s covered by trees and foliage. They need to make the entrance to this much more inviting and visible in my opinion.

Since they like to spread things out, I imagine that could come later should they so decide to do something here. But you'd think they'd still want to make it a bit more inviting regardless of future plans.

I'm usually all for more greenery but there's quite a few areas where I'd like them to pair down on the jungle look. LOL. It doesn't look good personally. (Obviously in Future World and obviously all the glass windows that have a mini jungle growing in front of them).

FigmentFan82

So I have a fun blue sky idea for WoL, because I think we can all agree that festival/event space is a pretty big waste of a wonderful (hyuck) pavilion. And they already have an event space located next to UK/Int Gateway as well as Odyssy, so it's not like they're out of square footage to sell merch.

My idea may not be super popular, as it is IP driven, but I think we all know the writing on the wall and have heard the IP EPCOT mandate that seems to have permeated the recent wave of refurbs/upgrades/additions.

Anywho, I think it would be kind of awesome to turn WoL into a Wakanda Outreach Center. This could very easily include or not include an attraction. If you went without a ride/attraction, there is a wealth of amazing displays you could create based on the culture and technology of Wakanda (think Launch Bay). You've then created a little Marvel corner as it would sit right next to GotG, so you would be in line with the themeing that is already coming to that area. Black Panther was a massive success, and we know that when Disney has a huge hit, they sure as hell want to capitalize on it's popularity. I feel like I've read in other rumor threads that they are looking to get Black Panther in the parks somewhere and soon, but if that info is not accurate please forgive me. But it seems like a no brainer as Black Panther has basically hit Frozen level success (and exceeded it at the box office - Frozen 1.276b - Black Panther 1.344b). A Launch Bay type setup could allow Disney to install something fairly quickly and at a reletivly low budget, while still leaving them the opportunity to add a ride attraction down the line if they deemed it a good investment. The idea of a Wakanda Outreach Center also feels very EPCOT-y to me - culture/technology/innovation. I dunno, I just really dig this idea.
Anywho, thanks for letting me babble on with my idea. Would love to hear thoughts. Again, this is just a fun idea I had for WoL which desperately needs to be used for something other than festival space IMHO. Cheers!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom