News Disney is restoring the Wonders of Life facade

trainplane3

So I have a fun blue sky idea for WoL, because I think we can all agree that festival/event space is a pretty big waste of a wonderful (hyuck) pavilion. And they already have an event space located next to UK/Int Gateway as well as Odyssy, so it's not like they're out of square footage to sell merch.

My idea may not be super popular, as it is IP driven, but I think we all know the writing on the wall and have heard the IP EPCOT mandate that seems to have permeated the recent wave of refurbs/upgrades/additions.

Anywho, I think it would be kind of awesome to turn WoL into a Wakanda Outreach Center. This could very easily include or not include an attraction. If you went without a ride/attraction, there is a wealth of amazing displays you could create based on the culture and technology of Wakanda (think Launch Bay). You've then created a little Marvel corner as it would sit right next to GotG, so you would be in line with the themeing that is already coming to that area. Black Panther was a massive success, and we know that when Disney has a huge hit, they sure as hell want to capitalize on it's popularity. I feel like I've read in other rumor threads that they are looking to get Black Panther in the parks somewhere and soon, but if that info is not accurate please forgive me. But it seems like a no brainer as Black Panther has basically hit Frozen level success (and exceeded it at the box office - Frozen 1.276b - Black Panther 1.344b). A Launch Bay type setup could allow Disney to install something fairly quickly and at a reletivly low budget, while still leaving them the opportunity to add a ride attraction down the line if they deemed it a good investment. The idea of a Wakanda Outreach Center also feels very EPCOT-y to me - culture/technology/innovation. I dunno, I just really dig this idea.
Anywho, thanks for letting me babble on with my idea. Would love to hear thoughts. Again, this is just a fun idea I had for WoL which desperately needs to be used for something other than festival space IMHO. Cheers!
Not to be snippy but Black Panther can't be used at WDW for reasons stated in the many other threads (maybe someone can break it down for you). And as of right now, there are no plans to turn that corner of Epcot in to a Marvel land. Apparently GotG is the extent of the plans for Marvel in Epcot as stated by our insiders here.

Also, welcome to the forums!

FigmentFan82

Not to be snippy but Black Panther can't be used at WDW for reasons stated in the many other threads (maybe someone can break it down for you). And as of right now, there are no plans to turn that corner of Epcot in to a Marvel land. Apparently GotG is the extent of the plans for Marvel in Epcot as stated by our insiders here.

Also, welcome to the forums!

Hi and great to be here!

I feel like I've read up on a decent amount of the Universal/Marvel rights issues in regards to character rights on the East coast, and forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Black Panther falls into any of the "families" that Universal Parks has the rights to. I know those contracts and verbiage can become quite tricky, but Black Panther seems like it falls outside of the big name characters that Universal licenses. In addition to this, I believe I read that Universal needds to actively be using the specific characters in their parks or else they will at some point revert back to Marvel (I could be remembering that wrong, as maybe I'm thinking of the upkeep of attractions?). I know they also can't call anything "Marvel Land" on the East coast, which I wouldn't think they would actively try to brand, but you would get an unofficial little corner if something like this, or any other non-Universal Marvel character were to inhabit the space. It definitly seems as though Black Panther might fall in a grey area of the contracts. If Disney were to push, would Universal squawk?

Kman101

Figment's Wonders of Life ;) boom. You're welcome Disney.

I'm kidding.

Inside Out seems like the ideal blend of IP and tying Wonders of Life to it's previous incarnation (IO was inspired by Cranium Command). I know it's a loose connection but still ... we all know the IP mandate.

Putting Inside Out in Wonders saves Figment from being displaced by them.

Hopefully we get a better idea soon(ish) of what the plans are.

FigmentFan82

Figment's Wonders of Life ;) boom. You're welcome Disney.

I'm kidding.

Inside Out seems like the ideal blend of IP and tying Wonders of Life to it's previous incarnation (IO was inspired by Cranium Command). I know it's a loose connection but still ... we all know the IP mandate.

Putting Inside Out in Wonders saves Figment from being displaced by them.

Hopefully we get a better idea soon(ish) of what the plans are.

Since Disney seems very gung-ho on using Inside Out somewhere, I'd much rather see it inhabit WoL than Imagination. Then take a cue from the Figment comic and bring a modern Imagination attraction to life!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
So I have a fun blue sky idea for WoL, because I think we can all agree that festival/event space is a pretty big waste of a wonderful (hyuck) pavilion. And they already have an event space located next to UK/Int Gateway as well as Odyssy, so it's not like they're out of square footage to sell merch.

My idea may not be super popular, as it is IP driven, but I think we all know the writing on the wall and have heard the IP EPCOT mandate that seems to have permeated the recent wave of refurbs/upgrades/additions.

Anywho, I think it would be kind of awesome to turn WoL into a Wakanda Outreach Center. This could very easily include or not include an attraction. If you went without a ride/attraction, there is a wealth of amazing displays you could create based on the culture and technology of Wakanda (think Launch Bay). You've then created a little Marvel corner as it would sit right next to GotG, so you would be in line with the themeing that is already coming to that area. Black Panther was a massive success, and we know that when Disney has a huge hit, they sure as hell want to capitalize on it's popularity. I feel like I've read in other rumor threads that they are looking to get Black Panther in the parks somewhere and soon, but if that info is not accurate please forgive me. But it seems like a no brainer as Black Panther has basically hit Frozen level success (and exceeded it at the box office - Frozen 1.276b - Black Panther 1.344b). A Launch Bay type setup could allow Disney to install something fairly quickly and at a reletivly low budget, while still leaving them the opportunity to add a ride attraction down the line if they deemed it a good investment. The idea of a Wakanda Outreach Center also feels very EPCOT-y to me - culture/technology/innovation. I dunno, I just really dig this idea.
Anywho, thanks for letting me babble on with my idea. Would love to hear thoughts. Again, this is just a fun idea I had for WoL which desperately needs to be used for something other than festival space IMHO. Cheers!

This same idea was discussed a few months ago, and people tried to say they could get around the Universal contract by not having the actual Black Panther there....seems tricky to me.

Another Marvel property that actually is related to health is Big Hero 6 and I think it would be a great possible addition.

Kman101

This same idea was discussed a few months ago, and people tried to say they could get around the Universal contract by not having the actual Black Panther there....seems tricky to me.

Another Marvel property that actually is related to health is Big Hero 6 and I think it would be a great possible addition.

I'm all for Big Hero 6 as well. Either or both, would work for me in the current IP mandated Epcot.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hi and great to be here!

I feel like I've read up on a decent amount of the Universal/Marvel rights issues in regards to character rights on the East coast, and forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Black Panther falls into any of the "families" that Universal Parks has the rights to.

Black Panther definitely falls into the Avengers family, can even be argued it falls in the Fantastic Four family.

I know those contracts and verbiage can become quite tricky, but Black Panther seems like it falls outside of the big name characters that Universal licenses.

"Big Names" is not a criterion mention in the contract.

In addition to this, I believe I read that Universal needds to actively be using the specific characters in their parks or else they will at some point revert back to Marvel (I could be remembering that wrong, as maybe I'm thinking of the upkeep of attractions?).

There was a use-or-lose clause that once applied to *all* Marvel characters. Since then Universal has used Spider-Man, FF, Avengers, X-Men, and Hulk. The "families clause" would then extend to their family members even if they haven't been used yet.

I know they also can't call anything "Marvel Land" on the East coast,

Nor on the West Coast, too.

which I wouldn't think they would actively try to brand, but you would get an unofficial little corner if something like this, or any other non-Universal Marvel character were to inhabit the space. It definitly seems as though Black Panther might fall in a grey area of the contracts. If Disney were to push, would Universal squawk?

If Black Panther was in the grey area, WDW would have used him for M&Gs this Summer like they did in Anaheim.

FigmentFan82

Oh wow, didn't know this had come up. Was it just in terms of something involving Black Panther or specific use of WoL for that IP as an idea?

Also, yes, BH6 could very much be a potential fir for WoL if they are indeed looking for some IP to go in there. I wouldn't mind that at all.

Rodan75

I'm all for Big Hero 6 as well. Either or both, would work for me in the current IP mandated Epcot.

BH6 works from both a thematic perspective and a ‘franchise’ perspective. Although it only has one movie, it has the potential to be an evergreen ‘boys’ franchise that sells merch and ad dollars. The success of the cartoon is a good sign.

Spash007

Given the space, I wonder if they would go with a single IP. I really wonder how much of the layout would stay, given the rides are essentially gutted anyway. I’m hoping for multiple attractions around make it a legitimate pavilion again - which I could see them pulling multiple rides from Inside Out based on the different emotions. Or they could also do a joint Big Hero 6 and Inside Out pavilion, focused on health. Or even another possibility (but I feel like less likely, even though it would fit better with nearby pavilions) is a robotics pavilion on Big Hero 6 and Wall-e.

Now that’s all figuring this does get an attraction, and not just an enhanced shopping mall or continual festival space.

eddie104

Given the space, I wonder if they would go with a single IP. I really wonder how much of the layout would stay, given the rides are essentially gutted anyway. I’m hoping for multiple attractions around make it a legitimate pavilion again - which I could see them pulling multiple rides from Inside Out based on the different emotions. Or they could also do a joint Big Hero 6 and Inside Out pavilion, focused on health. Or even another possibility (but I feel like less likely, even though it would fit better with nearby pavilions) is a robotics pavilion on Big Hero 6 and Wall-e.

Now that’s all figuring this does get an attraction, and not just an enhanced shopping mall or continual festival space.
That is a really good idea.

Haymarket2008

I seem to recall @marni1971 mentioning that they are looking at not just one but a few IP’s to fill the space. What combination I am not sure of, but I’d be interested to know what plans would need more than one.

Monorail_Red_77

Please continue to ramble, but I am confused about this one. I did not think the residences owned that land. I thought one of the companies owned the land, and the residents leased the land. Thus preserving the ability to remove tenants/empolyees that they didn't want to live there any longer. It would also prevent the land from being sold outside of the control of the company. This has nothing to do with the thread, but you seem to know more than I do.
Also, did you know that each City, Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista has it's own Mayor and City Council. They meet every other month at the RCID headquarters Bldg. Also, just saw on a revied Boundary Map of Bay Lake, that Flamingo Crossing is now included in Bay Lake.

1535630923587.png

Goofyernmost

I'd take a guess and say the leaking is fixed but they didn't replace anything inside. Real nice show there...
I suspect that it doesn't make a lot of sense to fix the inside stains from leaks until the roof was sealed tight. On a round dome building it is impossible to know exactly where the leak originates before it starts to show inside. All that can really be sure is that the leak is above the stain someplace. You don't do one repair until the other is complete. Also to whomever said that it was still leaking, how do you know it is recent. All you can see is stain, which is a past indication of leakage.

Last edited:

Rodan75

I suspect that it doesn't make a lot of sense to fix the inside stains from leaks until the roof was sealed tight. On a round dome building it is impossible to know exactly where the leak originates before it starts to show inside. All that can really be sure is that the leak is above the stain someplace. You don't do one repair until the other is complete. Also to whomever said that it was still leaking, how do you know it is recent. All you can see is stain, which is a past indication of leakage.

If they did miss a leak, I'm sure that will be addressed.

I'm more surprised that they opened up WoL as a festival pavilion with the inside still looking like that, and without confirmation that all of the leaks were sealed.

I do think it is unfair, to say they just slapped paint on it and walked away. But this is disappointing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom