Disney Is Reportedly Looking to Reboot Pirates of the Caribbean

Captain Barbossa

That’s more to blame on an actor who consumes gin faster than most people breathe
Wasn’t referring to Depp. Obviously him getting into character a little too well didn’t help lol, but I’m talking about the dog crap dumpster fire Nathanson script that was greenlit and shot because Iger/Bailey wanted the original Ted/Terry script abbreviated.

Ghost93

Based on what I have seen her in, I think Ayo Edebiri has the acting chops to pull off being a pirate and a charismatic lead. My fear is that general audiences won't give anyone who isn't Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow a chance to take over the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. And Ayo, being both a woman and a person of color, is inevitably going to get a ton of harassment from the worst people on the internet if she moves forward with this role.

Personally, I think there is no more they can do with Jack Sparrow. And Depp's acting — once a highlight of the franchise — became gradually worse with each subsequent film, with him being downright embarrassing in Dead Man Tell No Tales. The franchise needs to move in a new direction to rejuvenate itself, but too many people associated the franchise with Depp and Jack Sparrow, despite the fact that the ride was successful for almost 40 years without the character.

Phroobar

Have they thought of casting Lilly Rose Depp? Johnny has done cameos in some of her films.
If you get Lilly Rose Depp, you have to also get Harley Quinn Smith as her buddy. Those two go together. Then get Maya Hawke and Sadie Sink for the heck of it.

iu

Ghost93

I dont get why people have a hard time wrapping their heads around a Pirates of the Caribbean movie without Jack Sparrow, when the ride did fine without him for more than 30 years! I love Depp's performance in the first three films, but he was really phoning it in by Dead Men Tell No Tales. If this franchise is to survive, it needs a fresh take.

Unfortunately, due to the whole Depp/Heard drama any movie without Depp is going to be viewed as a political move, ignoring the fact that the character has gone stale and that Depp was having tons of behind the scene problems on Pirates 5 unrelated to the Heard situation.

celluloid

Of course….never anything new

Not only that, the risk do to it right vs kill and debrand another thing is not something they should tread very lightly with.

Literally have exhausted just about every big branch franchise they own.

HM could not make a comeback after a decade off and trying to remake it better(awful)
Princess Brand has suffered.
Pixar has to hang around in theaters just to hope to break even.
Other Disney animation...forget it.
Mid budget horror (that everyone made fun of for others succeeding in just last year, remains to be seen)
Star Wars is spent through Disney Plus Saturation

A good Pirates movie is always possible, but it is not going to be seen as very likely and if it is bad, then dang, another option gone.

It is not 2010 anymore. It won't be easy.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

Depp was obviously a huge part of the franchise's success, but they also need to look at the creative team.

The Gore Verbinski directed trilogy just had a certain polish and style to it that the follow-up movies didn't have. I'd be begging him to come back before any of the actors.

There were also characters like Barbossa who were arguably just as fun as Jack Sparrow.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The original pirates was just a symbiosis of a lot of fortunate things lining up

Depp and Rush gave it gravitas…bloom was on the come…verbinski got the tone perfect…ZIMMER’S music was fantastic

It all worked.

I hope the reboot concentrates in the feel

And doesn’t do stupid things like mining the fake past for current grievances that don’t really exist 😬

Last edited:

celluloid

Depp was obviously a huge part of the franchise's success, but they also need to look at the creative team.

The Gore Verbinski directed trilogy just had a certain polish and style to it that the follow-up movies didn't have. I'd be begging him to come back before any of the actors.

There were also characters like Barbossa who were arguably just as fun as Jack Sparrow.

The writing of the original helped certainly make it what it was.

Craig Mazin would give me some hope for a fun time. From Disney's Rocketman to The Last of Us, he definitely understands range and emotions.

We can say other characters were just as fun as Sparrow, but Barossa was did not steal the show the same way and as much as I think Geoffory Rush is very talented. It is too late to go home again on that one.

It is also not the kind of thing Dinsey is likely to just give a 100-150 million budget. So its success will not be easy without getting 300 million in box office.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The writing of the original helped certainly make it what it was.

Craig Mazin would give me some hope for a fun time. From Disney's Rocketman to The Last of Us, he definitely understands range and emotions.

We can say other characters were just as fun as Sparrow, but Barossa was did not steal the show the same way and as much as I think Geoffory Rush is very talented. It is too late to go home again on that one.

It is also not the kind of thing Dinsey is likely to just give a 100-150 million budget. So its success will not be easy without getting 300 million in box office.
The budgets of the last couple rise to redonkulous level

It’s like Joe rhode was the production designer

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom