Disney Is Reportedly Looking to Reboot Pirates of the Caribbean

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
https://io9.gizmodo.com/disney-is-reportedly-looking-to-reboot-pirates-of-the-c-1829948993

What happens when the latest installment of your multi-billion dollar franchise grosses less than $200 million domestic? Yup, it’s time for a reboot.

Deadline reports Disney is exploring the possibility of rebooting the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and has met with Deadpool and Zombieland writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick about writing the script. Jerry Bruckheimer would still remain on as a producer, but there’s no word if any of the previous cast members would come back to star. That’s the nice way of saying there’s no indication if this is a way to gracefully part ways with the problematic Johnny Depp.

Reese and Wernick are reportedly in “early talks” to write the script, which means that even if this is locked in, we’re years away from not just the movie, but accurate, concrete information about it. What we do know, though, is the most recent installment, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, was a huge disappointment in the U.S., grossing only $172 million. That’s in comparison to four previous movies, which grossed an average of $320 million stateside. Internationally Dead Men faired way better, grossing almost $800 million—but that was still almost $250 million behind the heights of the franchise. All signs pointed to Pirates being dead in the water.

Wendy Pleakley

The author of this piece does not know what the word "reboot" means.

So they may make another Pirates movie that could still star Depp? That wouldn't be a reboot. This whole article is vague and pointless.

$800 million worldwide is nothing to sneeze at, it's unlikely Disney will abandon this franchise outright.

Having said that, the box office decline is most likely due to franchise fatigue. After five movies, if audiences are a bit tired of Pirate movies it will be hard to change that, no matter how much they "reboot" the franchise.

FigmentFan82

I think the series is ready for a reboot. New characters and adventures would be welcome. I wonder if the main character would be Redd, seeing as how they seem to really want to push her as the new Pirates mascot. With the recent trend of more female led action films, I could definitely see Captain Redd be the new big thing.

Last edited:

champdisney

Not into this possibility at all. I actually enjoyed Dead Men Tell No Tales. I thought it had a decent ending, and even with the post credits tease, I was expecting Disney to press on the breaks before rushing into a follow-up. But this news here kind of sadness me. Although, my feeling on this is even if Disney does decide to reboot Pirates, I would think that Disney would set it up to where Captain Jack is around to be that ‘guy’ to pass the torch.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Let's look at the franchise:

1540448667882.png

The first movie, P1, was well received critically and did well at the Box Office and made a profit.

Profit is determined by figuring that the cost of marketing is an additional cost at about half the production budget (and we know the PotC movies are heavily advertised), and that Disney only gets about half the BO gross (higher domestically, lower internationally).

P2 wasn't as well liked as P1, but, it wasn't hated. Audiences showed up. the BO increased, and the profit went up.

P3 started to show fatigue amongst critics. It's BO was almost as much as P2, but, its profit was way down. The budget for P3 was more than twice that for P1. (For comparison, since 2000, the average budget for a Disney Studios movie is $86 million... Christopher Robin was $70 million, and new Jungle Book was $177 million).

P4 was hated critically. Even though it made as much at the BO as P2 and P3, it lost money at the BO because of it's ridiculously insane budget of $411 million.

You can tell Disney had enough of that budget inflation because P5's budget was significantly lower... but then so was its BO. Not only had critics tired of the franchise, but the two previous sub-par movies drove down attendance for P5, making that one also a money-loser.

All this talk of rebooting is, I'm sure, partly a ploy to let Depp know he's not going to be paid like he used to if he can't make this franchise profitable, and part of it not being profitable (aside from just not being a good movie) is insanely high budgets inflated by insanely high star salaries. But that should go without saying since his star-appeal didn't save Alice2 from being a cinematic and financial disaster.

Wendy Pleakley

All this talk of rebooting is, I'm sure, partly a ploy to let Depp know he's not going to be paid like he used to if he can't make this franchise profitable, and part of it not being profitable (aside from just not being a good movie) is insanely high budgets inflated by insanely high star salaries. But that should go without saying since his star-appeal didn't save Alice2 from being a cinematic and financial disaster.

Depp isn't always a box office guarantee, but one would be hard pressed to argue he doesn't deserve huge pay days for this franchise. His performance was a major, probably the main reason these pirate movies (a historically tough genre to sell to the public) took off.

Geoffrey Rush doesn't get enough credit in my opinion, but that's a whole other discussion.

Your numbers show, this franchise still has life left in it. I thought the fifth film was a lot better than the fourth, so I'm happy to give it more of my money.

One factor that could help save it as well is the Disney acquisition of Lucasfilm. Now that they're basically paying themselves for the special effects budget, that is going to save quite a few bucks.

Whatever profit is earned by Industrial Light & Magic for doing the effects, is returned to parent company. For this type of movie I'm guessing that's in the tens of millions.

Maeryk

My bet is this won't be a film, but a series for their burgeoning streaming service. Netflix and Hulu figured out that you need fresh content constantly. While the streaming service will, obviously, heavily feature "the vault", as well as live action remakes we neither want nor need, plus the Disney nature stuff and probably ABC programming as contracts lapse with Netflix, they are still going to need something you can't get anywhere else.

And my bet is that is going to be SW and park IP content. A PotC series makes sense from that standpoint.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My bet is this won't be a film, but a series for their burgeoning streaming service. Netflix and Hulu figured out that you need fresh content constantly. While the streaming service will, obviously, heavily feature "the vault", as well as live action remakes we neither want nor need, plus the Disney nature stuff and probably ABC programming as contracts lapse with Netflix, they are still going to need something you can't get anywhere else.

And my bet is that is going to be SW and park IP content. A PotC series makes sense from that standpoint.

The disadvantage of tv over movies is that rbe costs never let up and usually escalate. So the fact they went crazy cgi with the movies and that’s what the audience will want would make tv series prohibitive...I think.

Wendy Pleakley

Why does a movie series with five recent installments need a reboot right now?

If audiences are bored with a franchise, it needs to be shelved for a while. What would be the compelling reason to see a Pirates reboot so soon? Remember that movie series with the beloved character you loved? It's back, now with less beloved characters!

Is it because Disney has shifted their movie focus so narrowly that they aren't willing or able to make anything that doesn't fall under Marvel, Star Wars, Pirates, or Live Action remakes of animated films?

FigmentFan82

It's being reported that Depp is out.

And how does this series already "need a reboot"??? Oh wait, it's Disney. No turnip left unsqueezed.
Just speaking for myself, I genuinely love a good pirate movie, and Pirates of the Caribbean has a great opportunity to break away from Jack Sparrow. While everything about the first film is pretty much perfect, Jack became too much the centerpiece of the series. I would love to see some new adventures with a certain captain named Redd!

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Why does a movie series with five recent installments need a reboot right now?

The majority of Disney Studios films since 2000 have lost money at the box office (perhaps some of them went into the black with the after market activity such as DVD sales and streaming income). The exceptions are live action remakes and franchises, but even then, the last two PotC didn't profit at the box office. But three of the five did.

So...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom