Disney is going to scale back the Polynesian DVC plans in a big way.

tl77

I got a letter from Disney saying that sunset point and some of the surrounding beach area would be closed during my upcoming stay (last week of October).

That was the rumored start, which is just after the new Grand Floridian DVC opens. Sunset Point is going to be a hub for the water villas, this is the blueprint I colored it in

poly-plans_2013_small.jpg

raymusiccity

I really hope this forces them to do some minor maintenance in the 'lakes'.

I don't know what, if anything, they can now, but a little treatment can go a long way.

I know how you feel. 'Back in the day', the lakes were clear and clean enough to swim in. We have some nice photos of our family swimming in the lagoon at Ft. Wilderness.

I know people will jump on the 'brain eatin amoeba' was the culprit for closing the swimming areas, but, it always boils down to follow the money.

It's a lot cheaper to make excuses than to have liability insurance, and pay for a life saving staff.

Longhairbear

Trader Sam's @ WDW will be a GREAT addition to the Poly.

disneyland-hotel-trader-sams-enchanted-tiki-bar-968x450-02.jpg
Trader Sam's @ WDW will be a GREAT addition to the Poly.

disneyland-hotel-trader-sams-enchanted-tiki-bar-968x450-02.jpg
We've been there many, many times, and never had anything but a fabulous experience. We've bought all the Tiki mugs they offer, and there are always new ones.
The appetizers are great, and the drinks can knock you for a loop. You'll be buying ingredients for making the cocktails at home, we have, and do.

pixargal

I am DVC owner and have been looking forward to adding on at the Poly, but have to say that I loathe the ideas of the bungalows over the water. One of the best things about the Poly is the wide open views you get of the Contemporary, Grand Floridian, and Magic Kingdom. Also watching the boat parade at night. What is going to happen with the parade? How close will it come to the bungalows? These are such a bad idea, I can't believe they actually made it through the approval process. Also, many people get married at Sunset Point. That choice will no longer be available.

Ralphlaw

For kicks and giggles, what legitimate reasons might there be for taking out the Poly fountain:

1. Noisy, especially at check in?
2. Threat of microbes, like Legionaires disease?
3. Cost of maintenance?
4. Humidity hard on computers or other equipment?
5. Humidity hard on humans, and the air conditioning system?
6. Something better in the works?

Sounds possible, but somehow I doubt all of these. Back in our 1st trip in 2003, my wife, son, Mother and I stayed at the Polynesian. The whole atmosphere was incredible, making us feel like we were really on vacation (the 1st one I had taken in 5 years). I love the Poly and the amazing lobby. We're having Christmas day dinner at Ohanas this year because it is so much like coming home.

Lobbies seem to be important to Disney in the deluxe resorts (the Contemporary notwithstanding), but they indeed all are rather static. I've seen all of them. Great décor, comfy furniture, windows, chandeliers, pillars, and a kids TV for cartoon watching. But Poly had something extra. I too hope the fountain doesn't disappear, and unfortunately someday we'll get used to the new version of whatever is coming, but then pull out the old pictures and videos and see what once was there with a, "Oh yeah, that used to be so cool."

Oh well. Progress?

Soarin' Over Pgh

For kicks and giggles, what legitimate reasons might there be for taking out the Poly fountain:

1. Noisy, especially at check in?
2. Threat of microbes, like Legionaires disease?
3. Cost of maintenance?
4. Humidity hard on computers or other equipment?
5. Humidity hard on humans, and the air conditioning system?
6. Something better in the works?

Sounds possible, but somehow I doubt all of these. Back in our 1st trip in 2003, my wife, son, Mother and I stayed at the Polynesian. The whole atmosphere was incredible, making us feel like we were really on vacation (the 1st one I had taken in 5 years). I love the Poly and the amazing lobby. We're having Christmas day dinner at Ohanas this year because it is so much like coming home.

Lobbies seem to be important to Disney in the deluxe resorts (the Contemporary notwithstanding), but they indeed all are rather static. I've seen all of them. Great décor, comfy furniture, windows, chandeliers, pillars, and a kids TV for cartoon watching. But Poly had something extra. I too hope the fountain doesn't disappear, and unfortunately someday we'll get used to the new version of whatever is coming, but then pull out the old pictures and videos and see what once was there with a, "Oh yeah, that used to be so cool."

Oh well. Progress?

1. $$$$
2. $$$$
3. $$$$
4. $$$$
5. $$$$
6. $$$$

Sadly, it all boils down to dollar signs, I think. Those orchids aren't cheap. Or the rest of the fountain. Plus maintenance. I didn't really find it to be too humid there. But what do I know. It's such a gorgeous lobby, it's a shame to change it....even more so if they 'modernize' it and box it out.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I inquired about this when I worked for the mouse. I was told it was a cost cutting measure and to ease the public's concerns about the amoebas, nothing more. Yes, the possibility is there for the amoebas, but the same goes for the thousands of other lakes in FL that people swim in all the time, and there were never any found in the WDW lakes (that they knew of). I used to swim in SSL and Bay Lake all the time when we vacationed there when I was a kid. Water was much clearer then too. Definitely cheaper to make excuses.
http://www.yesterland.com/rivercountry.html

From the article.

On Thursday, August 28, 1980, a sad Associated Press (AP) wire story appeared in newspapers throughout North America.

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - A rare but deadly disease caused by an amoeba found in Florida fresh-water lakes has claimed its fourth victim—a New York youngster who spent his vacation swimming at Walt Disney World’s River Country.

The disease, amoebic meningoencephalitis, attacks the nervous system and brain, doctors say. It killed two Florida children earlier this month and appears to have been the cause of death of another youngster, a state health official said.

The latest death was that of an 11-year-old boy who visited the Orlando area during the first week of August and swam at the water attraction at Disney World, said Dr. John McGarry, director of the Orange County Health Department.

The child died after the amoeba entered his nose, went through the nasal passage and attacked the nervous system, including the brain, said Dr. Robert Gunn, state epidemiologist.

The boy, who was not identified by New York or Florida health authorities, died last Friday.

If memory serves me correctly, there was also another incident at the beach at the Poly, but I am unable to locate a source.

Tonka's Skipper

I know how you feel. 'Back in the day', the lakes were clear and clean enough to swim in. We have some nice photos of our family swimming in the lagoon at Ft. Wilderness.

I know people will jump on the 'brain eatin amoeba' was the culprit for closing the swimming areas, but, it always boils down to follow the money.

It's a lot cheaper to make excuses than to have liability insurance, and pay for a life saving staff.

Sorry , but its a law in Florida, you cannot swim in any public, unfiltered lakes. Of course it would be nice to have the lakes a bit less muddy in any case!

AKK

dreamfinder

Sorry , but its a law in Florida, you cannot swim in any public, unfiltered lakes. Of course it would be nice to have the lakes a bit less muddy in any case!

AKK

Is it also not the law that one must cross the street in the marked cross walk, and always wait for the cross signal before crossing. Or that one must always follow the posted speed limit?

Tonka's Skipper

I don't understand your point? I was simply stating that there is a law in Florida that your not allowed to swim in public lakes?.........the fact that there is a law indicates that the muddy colored water was at least not only due to WDW not wanting to spend the money or insurance issues. There was also a law on the issue.

I also noted it would be nice of the water was clearer.

What was your point?

AKK

asianway

I don't understand your point? I was simply stating that there is a law in Florida that your not allowed to swim in public lakes?.........the fact that there is a law indicates that the muddy colored water was at least not only due to WDW not wanting to spend the money or insurance issues. There was also a law on the issue.

I also noted it would be nice of the water was clearer.

What was your point?

AKK
Doesnt a Triathon swim happen in Bay Lake/7 Seas? First I heard of a law.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Doesnt a Triathon swim happen in Bay Lake/7 Seas? First I heard of a law.
I have never heard of a law persay, but I don't know of a single public lake in Florida that is not spring fed that people are allowed to swim in. I of course don't have intimate knowledge of every lake in Florida, but the few I do know of have been closed (Hanna park it the first one I thought of)

When it comes to the triathlon it is my understanding that those take place during times of the year when the naegleria fowleri are less likely to be present (water temp needs to be above 85) and the competitors are advised to wear nose clamps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom