Disney is going to scale back the Polynesian DVC plans in a big way.

Tonka's Skipper

It my understanding that Florida passed a law years ago against swimming in public lakes, including lakes at places like resorts were the public is allowed in I believe lakes for private use are not covered by the law.

Maybe they have a special permit for the race???

AKK

Mike Paxton

Yes, the Danskin womens sprint tri used to be in Bay Lake. I think the last year they did it was 2011. pretty sure it happened in Bay Lake (the swim portion)

dmbcrush5

They also hosted a half-iron at Fort Wilderness until 2011 (always the 3rd week of May). The swim was in Bay Lake and I believe that they got a special variance from the state for the day. The race was moved to Haines City in 2012 due to planned construction at Fort Wilderness that would have gotten in the way of the transition area. The swim in Haines City is also in a "lake". DH did it in 2011 and the water was so low that they had to reroute the swim course just so the althetes could actually swim (rather than walk) most of the 1.2 miles.

Tonka's Skipper

and I am not going to try and find one. I am going on what was reported and linked to years ago in a thread discussion on this issue.

I was also visiting a old college roommate who lives in Jacksonville area who I discussed it with as his golf club had to put in a larger pool as they could no longer swim in there lake there.

Sorry you didn't find anything, but it's just that reason I won't waste time in the tangle of laws as listed on line.

If you don't agree that is OK. I al offering the information I have......:)

AKK

Scar

There is not an official Florida Law that bans swimming in all public lakes. However, health officials do strongly urge against swimming in the lakes due to the health issues that can occur when water temperatures in those lakes go past 80 degrees. Thus, Disney can do what they want with their "private" lakes and are not breaking the law if they want triathletes to swim in it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Interesting, thanks for that article. I'm guessing the person I spoke with didn't know about the 1980 incident. She must have been just been talking about the reasons she knew about it closing in 2001. Considering RC was left open for 21 years after the incident, I find it hard to believe that this was the ONLY reason they closed it, along with all other swimming activities. Money/maintenance/insurance was definitely a reason. Funny though how Disney doesn't feel the need to protect water skiers from the amoeba though, just the areas they need to maintain, Lol.
The naegleria fowleri was one of a myriad of reasons they closed RC. If that little nasty never existed, RC would still be closed.

The reason the Disney does not feel the need to protect water skiers is there is no danger of being exposed in deep water. The naegleria fowleri lives in the sediment, not the water. People will get exposed to it along the shoreline when the sediment is stirred up into the water.

tl77

What's the brown line in the lake? Is this a physical barrier for water craft?

I'm pretty sure it is the same kind of wake control netting they had at River Country, but I had to do lot of estimating on the things in the water they weren't as clear defined as what's on land

Last edited:

Tom

Beta Return

tikiman

Original Poster
Wow, they're not wasting any time. It surprises me that they're building the boardwalk first, meaning they'll tear it up throughout construction and will have to re-build most of it.

Maybe the rooms will be built offsite and brought in by boat but then again I guess they will be walking back and forth over it when putting things in the room. They may lay down plywood or something to protect it. They will need some way to get out to the rooms. They are expected to start on Monday from what I was told.

tikiman

Original Poster
I have heard that the CM bartenders have to do a major clean-up, wipe-down, and disinfecting of every bottle, surface, and glass every day at the Tambu lounge because of the fountains and water in the lobby causing a lot of humidity. Probably true for O'Hana as well.

There will still be a water feature, just not the one that is there now and it seems it will not be centered on the room. They needed to clear it out because of the problems they are having maintaining it and they need to get in equipment to remove and replace the leaking skylights that are over the lobby.

Looks like 'Ohana and Tambu will survive the redo but I think everything else may change. Also the only thing they seem to be replicating from Aulani will be a kids wet play area that will be part of the expanded pool deck area that will be where the Marina Rental building is now. It does not look like the pool itself will be expanded in size though.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Maybe the rooms will be built offsite and brought in by boat but then again I guess they will be walking back and forth over it when putting things in the room. They may lay down plywood or something to protect it. They will need some way to get out to the rooms. They are expected to start on Monday from what I was told.
This would not surprise me at all. Building over water, while possible, really sucks. Simple mundane tasks that you would never think about on land become major challenges on water.

asianway

Wow, they're not wasting any time. It surprises me that they're building the boardwalk first, meaning they'll tear it up throughout construction and will have to re-build most of it.
They seem to be getting good at throwing up these wooden boardwalks even though it couldnt be done in the PI days

willtravel

This would not surprise me at all. Building over water, while possible, really sucks. Simple mundane tasks that you would never think about on land become major challenges on water.
I have never been over to the Poly beach. What does the water look like. I picture rooms over water where there is crystal blue water. I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this. Hopefully they will have slip proof decking to walk on.

Tom

Beta Return

I never thought of that, but it makes complete sense. They pre-fabbed and installed the Treehouse Villas by crane. No reason why they wouldn't do that here. Heck, the rooms may be almost done and sitting in a warehouse somewhere right now.

Perhaps the boardwalk will be constructed out of steel and concrete, with a stamped surface like the theme park pavements. That would help them hold up a lot better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom