Disney is going to scale back the Polynesian DVC plans in a big way.

tl77

I'm a CA native and right off the bat my instinct is to really want to deny WDW from the Trader Sam's experience.

How dare you sir! after those no good, double crossin' Disneyland types, shamelessly stole the Tangaroa Terrace from WDW? not even a teeny tiny tiki bar in return?!? ..tsk, tsk :bored:

kkocka

How dare you sir! after those no good, double crossin' Disneyland types, shamelessly stole the Tangaroa Terrace from WDW? not even a teeny tiny tiki bar in return?!? ..tsk, tsk :bored:

You have so much more square footage in FL, let us have this teeny tiny tiki bar in return, haha.

awoogala

The water feature will be gone. Not sure if Trader Sam's will go in at the GCH or if they were smart they would put it in its own stand alone building near the beach over at Luau Cove with a nice outdoor deck to watch the lagoon.
so sad. The water feature made the Polynesian so special.

luv

Wow, sounds like a lot of what gives the Poly its charm will be soon extinct.... :( HOW do some of these planners come up with ideas that are so dumbed down that it is like making a 5 gallon container of Lemonade with ONE Lemon.
They get kickbacks.

Very often, when you think people are being abysmally stupid or bogged down in bureaucracy...they're really making money for themselves. They aren't THAT dumb. They just appear to be that dumb.

I suspect a good deal of Disney management has taken up snorkeling, scuba diving and lying on seven mile beaches.

COProgressFan

They get kickbacks.

Very often, when you think people are being abysmally stupid or bogged down in bureaucracy...they're really making money for themselves. They aren't THAT dumb. They just appear to be that dumb.

I suspect a good deal of Disney management has taken up snorkeling, scuba diving and lying on seven mile beaches.

Good point. And quite frankly, its just a job to them. They don't care about the feelings or opinions of guests who have visited since opening, the history of the resort, the original design intent, etc. And many certainly don't really understand what the "Disney Difference" actually is, other than some vague notion of spewing meaningless words like "magical" around all the time.

So, if the execs at the top are happy with a renovation that turns the lobby into a glorified Comfort Inn with a few Hawaiian decorations thrown about (and at a tremendous cost savings to boot!), why not go this route?

It's really a sad state of affairs.

Scar

So, if the execs at the top are happy with a renovation that turns the lobby into a glorified Comfort Inn with a few Hawaiian decorations thrown about (and at a tremendous cost savings to boot!), why not go this route?

It may be upthread, but I missed where anyone said the lobby would turn into a glorified Comfort Inn.

Love or hate DVC, possibly SSR notwithstanding, they do a decent job with their lobbies when they need to build one. In fact, Aulani (which I assume would be used as any basis for refurbishment at Poly) is an amazing lobby.

I think we all want the water feature to stay but the options aren't (1) Water feature or (2) Comfort Inn lobby.

awoogala

Each time I hear the water feature may be getting axed, it hurts even more than the last time. We may have to make "sitting in the Poly's lobby" an official activity on our next trip, just in case.

That is what we do every trip.The bar and lobby are 2 of my fave places in all of disney. I don't want to pay for poly, I think it's ovepriced-we stay at other deluxe resorts.Since the lobby/bar/water feature are all I really want- I have spent enough money in mai-tai's and lapu-lapu's not to be a freeloader!:D No water feature, no gorgeus GCH with it's beautiful floor... sigh. Guess I will just buy a drink in EPCOT.:depressed:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I have heard that the CM bartenders have to do a major clean-up, wipe-down, and disinfecting of every bottle, surface, and glass every day at the Tambu lounge because of the fountains and water in the lobby causing a lot of humidity. Probably true for O'Hana as well.

awoogala

Disney is not going to tell us why they are going away. Simple logic would dictate that they either feel that the cost to do EMH is greater than the return they are getting from increased room bookings or they think the room bookings will not drop as a result of getting rid of EMH and they can pocket the savings.

I would think they used emh to get people to stay on property as a major perk. With FP+ rolling out, that is the new "perk" that will be the selling point for booking on property. Much cheaper than emh.

awoogala

An update on waterfallgate.
There are a few reasons that the waterfall needs to be removed. One of which is due to needing to replace all the skylights in the GCH and the other more important and understandable one being it is a health hazard. I guess the waterfall and outside ponds cycle the same water and the pumps and filters would be extremely expensive to redesign. When it brings the water inside to be pumped for the waterfall it introduces harmful bacteria that come from the water outside. They also want it to be open through the center with a new water feature that will not block the view out to the pool and beach similar to Aulani’s lobby.

Well, that seems reasonable. As long as they replace it with something as equally breathtaking, I would be ok with it. I dn't like the idea that they are copying Aulani, however. I think the Poly needs its own spirit, not a carbon copy- hope they keep the tiki spirits alive!

luv

It may be upthread, but I missed where anyone said the lobby would turn into a glorified Comfort Inn.

Love or hate DVC, possibly SSR notwithstanding, they do a decent job with their lobbies when they need to build one. In fact, Aulani (which I assume would be used as any basis for refurbishment at Poly) is an amazing lobby.

I think we all want the water feature to stay but the options aren't (1) Water feature or (2) Comfort Inn lobby.
It's true that there are many options.

It's also true that many of the people in charge couldn't care less how it all turns out, so long as they profit from it. They're making money every time something is built... How it looks when it is done is, for the most part, irrelevant.

I'd love to see GOOD forensic auditors start investigating Disney, the people who work there and the companies and people who build stuff for Disney. They could start with everyone involved with the second Morocco restaurant and just move on out from there, lol.

I don't think it will happen...but I'd love to watch the headlines in the Sentinel if it did. I'd sign up to have the paper delivered again, just so I could see the headlines every day, lol. And I'd get to see the Disney management run like mice.

And poor Meg, who I believe actually is that stupid and who has been set up to take the fall should a fall girl ever be needed...she thinks she's just collecting money for nothing by sitting there ignoring everything. She cannot believe her good fortune, making all this money and not really having any idea what she's doing...yet all the time, having the sneaking suspicion that she'll be caught or "found out", lol...she'd be testifying.

It would be so fun.

That's all my dreaming about that for 2013. :). I'll wait another year and think about it again.

COProgressFan

And poor Meg, who I believe actually is that stupid and who has been set up to take the fall should a fall girl ever be needed...she thinks she's just collecting money for nothing by sitting there ignoring everything. She cannot believe her good fortune, making all this money and not really having any idea what she's doing...yet all the time, having the sneaking suspicion that she'll be caught or "found out", lol...she'd be testifying.

Well put.

awoogala

I like the decor at RPH so very much more than the Poly. I think of all the rooms in Orlando that I've been in (and I've been in a lot!), RPH were best. For me, anyway. Pretty, relaxing, not too dark. Perfect.id take RPH over the Poly any day...but walking the Poly grounds at night is really nice. :)
ooh, you are getting me excited! We are staying at rph this year for the first time. Cheaper than Poly, and at least we get front of line access and early admission to Harry for the cost. Then we go to Disney- where we settled on Dolphin for price.

luv

ooh, you are getting me excited! We are staying at rph this year for the first time. Cheaper than Poly, and at least we get front of line access and early admission to Harry for the cost. Then we go to Disney- where we settled on Dolphin for price.
Geez, I love those rooms. PBH is better, overall, but the RPH are probably my favorite rooms in all of Orlando. It might just be me, but they are relaxing and pleasant. My favorite!

It's a nice hotel, too. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom