Disney is going to scale back the Polynesian DVC plans in a big way.

quirkle

Great question!

The sale of Animal Kingdom Villas (AKV) has been disappointing. It looks like it will finally sell out some time next year, painfully slow by DVC standards. In a short time span, AKV (opened in 2006 with 708 rooms), BLT (2009 with 428 rooms), and SSR (2004 with 1260 rooms) doubled the number of DVC rooms. The Villas at the Grand Floridian (VGF), opening later this year, is much smaller, only 147 rooms, tiny by DVC standards. They already should have some preliminary sales numbers from that indicating how successful a Poly DVC should be.

Is what's being scaled back the number of DVC rooms or the upgrades being made? In other words, is DVC reaching a saturation point or is corporate Disney trying to build the Poly DVC on the cheap?

With DVC prices now starting in the $150/point range, the market is very different than 10 years ago when Disney was asking around $65/point.

I'm looking forward to reading the new plans from @tikiman.

I think AKV is just too far out. We own there but are hoping to get other resorts when we are there. AKV is beautiful but people want to be near the parks. I like the thought of being a little farther out for some resort time and then changing resorts mid way to enjoy other accommodations closer to the parks.

BTW - I do love the Poly and would buy there if I had $$. I do not know how they will be "close" to the monorail though.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
BTW - I do love the Poly and would buy there if I had $$. I do not know how they will be "close" to the monorail though.
The two longhouses slated to become DVC sit next to the TTC, a very short walk to the monorails for both MK and Epcot. The grand villa huts being built over the water will be a little father out, but still close to both TTC and the Poly monorail station.

tikiman

Original Poster
You misunderstand me - the zombie isn't made from a mix, like you'd buy a gross Bacardi zombie mix, but rather one of the ingredients is pre-mixed (in bar) collection of juices, spices, syrups, etc. This way, rather than pouring 16 different ingredients you only have to pour 6. Its like the Gorilla Grog - they have a premixed batch of Grog that they pour into drinks instead of pouring each juice/ingredient separately into every drink.

I guess I meant to say that the Zombie is simplified so that anybody within a range of bartending experience can make a solid zombie, and not relying on one's experience to measure out in a jigger each and every ingredient.

As far as the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum, its just the Painkiller recipe - oj, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and rum. I can't imagine which of those ingredients they didn't have at Barefoot. :O

Very true but I think the Pain Killer is an East Coast thing. I don’t know that I have seen it in any of the original tiki bars out here or in Hawaii. Also they sometimes do a little cinnamon with the nut meg in the Tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki rum.
I am actually trying to open up a tiki bar out here in Northern California and one thing we have been discussing is that the attitude of the bar tenders plays a huge part in the success of the place.
I think they said at the barefoot bar they did not have the cream of coconut and I am sure they had no spices out there.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
To relate to the point of the bartender at the Boardwalk's lounge and the consistency of drinks and so forth. I arrived that the lounge about 5 mins after it opened one afternoon. The bartender was still unloading all the alcohol from the cart as they clear out the lounge each evening to make room for coffee and pastries in the mornings. Two ladies had gotten there just before more and were looking over the flip top table tent thing listing all the god awful foo foo drinks available. After a while, they placed their order and the great bartender got to work. Must have taken him 10+ minutes to assemble these two concoctions, which from all I could tell were sweet syrupy things topped with more sweet stuff and even more on top of that and maybe a splash of rum. They charged their drinks and he turned to me. I said "Macallan 12, neat" He asked if he could hug me. I laughed and commented on the two drinks he made for the women. He stated that he didn't know who designed that silly drink list, but they NEVER, ever tended bar.
Be that as it may, if they install a "smart" next gen, drink dispensary, sure, they'll be consistent, but I like a good bartender vs a smart dispenser.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just get me a beer. A Kona Longboard from Tambu sounds really good right now. I hope they don't get rid of that during the remodel. However I wish they would get a few other Konas in there.
Don't worry after the remodel they will have only coors light bud lite miller lite perhaps Sam Adams as their craft beer and corona for the beach feel

Bocabear

Craft cocktails are like fine dining...there are plenty of places on property to get a run of the mill cocktail...Trader Sam's is something different and it's charm comes from the personality of the bartenders.
I don't believe that trader Sam's should ever have to be a super fast high volume bar...They can go to the Tambu lounge and get a quick beer or usual cocktail... People don't go to the California Grill to be served fast and get out...

MOXOMUMD

R2-D2-bartender.jpg
I ...want.....one!

kkocka

Very true but I think the Pain Killer is an East Coast thing. I don’t know that I have seen it in any of the original tiki bars out here or in Hawaii.

You have Forbidden Island, Tonga Room, and Smuggler's Cove, and they can't make a Painkiller? I'm pretty sure you could get one :p (From Forbidden Island's site, "From the Soggy Dollar Bar on the tiny island of Jost Van in the British Virgin Islands comes this world-famous creamy blend of pineapple, orange and coconut with a hint of spice. Made the authentic way with Pusser’s Navy Rum!") And yeah Sam's always has dusted cinnamon and nutmeg to garnish.

EDIT: interested on the progress of your bar.

Bocabear made the perfect point: you can get a beer or a jack n coke anywhere. Not that you aren't welcome to enjoy either at Sam's, but don't come into a craft cocktail lounge and get mad that somebody's Navy Grog is taking longer than your beer on the tap. I love those taps though, as well as the Kona Brewing Co selections...

tikiman

Original Poster
You have Forbidden Island, Tonga Room, and Smuggler's Cove, and they can't make a Painkiller? I'm pretty sure you could get one :p (From Forbidden Island's site, "From the Soggy Dollar Bar on the tiny island of Jost Van in the British Virgin Islands comes this world-famous creamy blend of pineapple, orange and coconut with a hint of spice. Made the authentic way with Pusser’s Navy Rum!") And yeah Sam's always has dusted cinnamon and nutmeg to garnish.

EDIT: interested on the progress of your bar.

Bocabear made the perfect point: you can get a beer or a jack n coke anywhere. Not that you aren't welcome to enjoy either at Sam's, but don't come into a craft cocktail lounge and get mad that somebody's Navy Grog is taking longer than your beer on the tap. I love those taps though, as well as the Kona Brewing Co selections...

I just had not heard of it to ask for it. I grew up spending most of my summers in Hawaii and it was never one of the drinks I saw offered. I could not drink them anyway because I was too young but I had a fascination with being a bartender ever since I was 8. I would order non-alcoholic versions of anything I could. Unfortunately I later discovered that for many of the drinks the alcohol is what makes the drink. I learned how to make a good Pina Colada from scratch (not using the bottles mix) when I was 11. I have always loved tiki bar/ restaurants from going to some of the originals in the 70s. Some are gone now like the Lanai in San Mateo but I think we need places like that again that people can enjoy the atmosphere with quality food and drinks.

Tonga room is one of my favorites and not too long ago the Fairmont was going to close it and make it condos. I live in Wine Country so we get a lot of tourist throwing lots of money around. We have nothing like the Tonga room or Trader Sam’s where people can go eat and drink and enjoy live Hawaiian music (no TVs in the bar) and get a good authentic tropical drink. Some of the bars up here are getting very creative with their drinks and bringing in well known mixologists and they are doing very well. We have some friends that are famous food network stars (that will remain nameless) that I hope to get some advice from on starting a bar and I have ideas on what I want it to be like but getting the money to do it has been the road block.

My renewed fascination with tiki bars and the authentic drinks has been something I enjoy learning more about. I have my friends over to make drinks for and see which ones we like the best.
I don’t mind the drinks taking a little longer because watching them make them is part of the experience. Also I don’t go into a tiki bar or lounge to rush in and out. I go for the experience and to enjoy the atmosphere. I think those bar taps are great at TS. Most Disney World people think those tikis on the taps are from the Polynesian because they have not been out to Disneyland to see the Tikiroom. Also many of them were moved from Adventureland at WDW into the Polynesian but they are made from the same molds as the ones in Disneyland.

My friend works at Kona brewing in Hawaii and it is even better over there and they offer other beers that you can’t get here but Maui Brewing Co. is the best beer I have ever had. Next time you are at Disneyland, go to Uva Bar in Downtown Disney and try the Maui Brewing Co. beer they have there.

P.S.
I talked to the bartender at the Barefoot Bar yesterday and he said they do have the stuff to make a Tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki rum. For what ever reason someone told a guest they could not. Maybe who ever that was did not know how to make it.

Longhairbear

I just had not heard of it to ask for it. I grew up spending most of my summers in Hawaii and it was never one of the drinks I saw offered. I could not drink them anyway because I was too young but I had a fascination with being a bartender ever since I was 8. I would order non-alcoholic versions of anything I could. Unfortunately I later discovered that for many of the drinks the alcohol is what makes the drink. I learned how to make a good Pina Colada from scratch (not using the bottles mix) when I was 11. I have always loved tiki bar/ restaurants from going to some of the originals in the 70s. Some are gone now like the Lanai in San Mateo but I think we need places like that again that people can enjoy the atmosphere with quality food and drinks.

Tonga room is one of my favorites and not too long ago the Fairmont was going to close it and make it condos. I live in Wine Country so we get a lot of tourist throwing lots of money around. We have nothing like the Tonga room or Trader Sam’s where people can go eat and drink and enjoy live Hawaiian music (no TVs in the bar) and get a good authentic tropical drink. Some of the bars up here are getting very creative with their drinks and bringing in well known mixologists and they are doing very well. We have some friends that are famous food network stars (that will remain nameless) that I hope to get some advice from on starting a bar and I have ideas on what I want it to be like but getting the money to do it has been the road block.

My renewed fascination with tiki bars and the authentic drinks has been something I enjoy learning more about. I have my friends over to make drinks for and see which ones we like the best.
I don’t mind the drinks taking a little longer because watching them make them is part of the experience. Also I don’t go into a tiki bar or lounge to rush in and out. I go for the experience and to enjoy the atmosphere. I think those bar taps are great at TS. Most Disney World people think those tikis on the taps are from the Polynesian because they have not been out to Disneyland to see the Tikiroom. Also many of them were moved from Adventureland at WDW into the Polynesian but they are made from the same molds as the ones in Disneyland.

My friend works at Kona brewing in Hawaii and it is even better over there and they offer other beers that you can’t get here but Maui Brewing Co. is the best beer I have ever had. Next time you are at Disneyland, go to Uva Bar in Downtown Disney and try the Maui Brewing Co. beer they have there.

P.S.
I talked to the bartender at the Barefoot Bar yesterday and he said they do have the stuff to make a Tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki rum. For what ever reason someone told a guest they could not. Maybe who ever that was did not know how to make it.
Tonga Hut in Palm Springs is opening any day now, can't wait!

Duckberg

Bali Hal is nice more South Pacific vibe. Sure Tonga Hut II in PS will have same Tiki drink quality as original Tonga Hut in NoHo!

I know how you feel. 'Back in the day', the lakes were clear and clean enough to swim in. We have some nice photos of our family swimming in the lagoon at Ft. Wilderness.

I know people will jump on the 'brain eatin amoeba' was the culprit for closing the swimming areas, but, it always boils down to follow the money.

It's a lot cheaper to make excuses than to have liability insurance, and pay for a life saving staff.

Do you have pics please. Every time i bring up SSL and BL having clear water people tell me im nuts and it never did it have clear water.

Goofnut1980

I just don't know if I would spend the money to buy into a remodeled hotel room. Why not tear down and start over so they are done right. Converting basic rooms does nothing for me. We are AKV and we love it. I actually like not being right next to the parks. It becomes a destination to get to the parks rather than just looking out the window and seeing them.

Also, just asking, why won't Disney just build stand alone DVCs like many are now?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I just don't know if I would spend the money to buy into a remodeled hotel room. Why not tear down and start over so they are done right. Converting basic rooms does nothing for me. We are AKV and we love it. I actually like not being right next to the parks. It becomes a destination to get to the parks rather than just looking out the window and seeing them.

Also, just asking, why won't Disney just build stand alone DVCs like many are now?
Not all the rooms will be remodeled rooms. At minimum, the bungalows over the water will be new construction.

Stand alone DVC resorts are not being done because there is currently a high demand for DVC resorts at the monorail resorts.

majortom1981

Aren't there only 2 stand alone dvc resorts ? Saratoga springs and old key west? The rest are connected to other resorts.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Aren't there only 2 stand alone dvc resorts ? Saratoga springs and old key west? The rest are connected to other resorts.
Yes. And the Tree House Villas at SSR are actually refurbished rooms from the Lake Buena Vista project built in the mid 70s. The rest of the resort is new construction built on the site of the failed Disney Institute.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My bad. I knew they had been around since the 70s. I didn't know they knocked them down and rebuilt them.
They kind of had to. To get around the wetland restrictions they had to lower the square footage that came in contact with the ground. To accomplish this they made the center support much smaller and eliminated the ground floor on the units that had them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom