Disney is going to scale back the Polynesian DVC plans in a big way.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No question that there is give and take with auto pours, but there is no contest when it comes to consistency and speed. It is the price you pay for size and volume. You know what they say "better, faster, cheaper....you can pick only two"

as a customer... I expect 'slow service' to be improved upon without decreasing the service. That typically means 'more bartenders'. I expect 'bad drinks' to be improved upon by people that don't make mistakes... not by replacing them with a system that can only make things 'one way'.. The business owner has different priorities when it comes to costs.. but they have to balance that with what they are actually selling and creating.

From an accounting point of view.. the system is awesome. But you could also just take it further and replace the bartender with a kiosk too.. why not go there?

I get back to my 'sterilize' comment... bars need character, and that includes the drinks IMO :)

kkocka

I wouldn't place any bets on an auto dispenser type machine, lol. That sounds horrid and insulting to any serious mixologist, and despite whatever knocks the bartenders throughout WDW may or may not receive, I believe those in charge of food and liquor through Disney wouldn't allow it.

I believe Sam's will remain approximately the same size as it is in CA, housed only in the Polynesian. I'm sure the staff will be trained accordingly and using no more premixes than are currently used (I believe they use a mix for their Zombies, but that's not unusual to any tiki bar or to any bar in tiki history - think of Don's Mix #2 etc). Its pretty much juices, syrups, then alcohols + garnish. Not over the top difficult.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
as a customer... I expect 'slow service' to be improved upon without decreasing the service. That typically means 'more bartenders'. I expect 'bad drinks' to be improved upon by people that don't make mistakes... not by replacing them with a system that can only make things 'one way'.. The business owner has different priorities when it comes to costs.. but they have to balance that with what they are actually selling and creating.

From an accounting point of view.. the system is awesome. But you could also just take it further and replace the bartender with a kiosk too.. why not go there?

I get back to my 'sterilize' comment... bars need character, and that includes the drinks IMO :)

The only reason kiosks would not be used is for age verification, But I can see an advanced Kiosk which you feed it your DL it verifies the DL with a credit bureau (yes they have that info) and does facial recognition to match picture against person and then dispenses drink.

The show is why so many high end bars hire 'flair' bartenders who put on a show with bottles like Hibachi chefs do with your meal.

I'm not really a drinker but the Bartender is the center of the whole bar experience, (meat markets excluded).

flynnibus

Premium Member
The only reason kiosks would not be used is for age verification, But I can see an advanced Kiosk which you feed it your DL it verifies the DL with a credit bureau (yes they have that info) and does facial recognition to match picture against person and then dispenses drink.

Ok Mr. Magic Band Exec... why not just restrict the bar to 21 and up or put a bouncer near the machine? Why so complicated?? ;)

At the end.. bars are about the crowd and atmosphere.. the staff is a good part of that.

auto-pours just project 'cheap-ness' and lack of trust in employees. Now, I KNOW there are legit reasons.. but IMHO it's taking things too far. It's like my company who would rather spend months writing policies and creating videos to change the rules we all live by.. instead of cutting to the chase and disciplining people that are causing the issue.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ok Mr. Magic Band Exec... why not just restrict the bar to 21 and up or put a bouncer near the machine? Why so complicated?? ;)

At the end.. bars are about the crowd and atmosphere.. the staff is a good part of that.

auto-pours just project 'cheap-ness' and lack of trust in employees. Now, I KNOW there are legit reasons.. but IMHO it's taking things too far. It's like my company who would rather spend months writing policies and creating videos to change the rules we all live by.. instead of cutting to the chase and disciplining people that are causing the issue.

I was just trying to think like Disney would :), They could do it like the Queen's Head Tavern at Harvard does it and check ID's on the way in and issue wristbands (Hmmm doesnt disney have some kind of wristband???)

Agree with you on Auto-Pours, There is NO point in going to an 'autobar' even in Nivens 'Oath of Fealty' Todos Santos had autobars which delivered to whereever you were - and 'Real bar' where a good bartender dispensed drinks and wisdom.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I was just trying to think like Disney would :), They could do it like the Queen's Head Tavern at Harvard does it and check ID's on the way in and issue wristbands (Hmmm doesnt disney have some kind of wristband???)

Agree with you on Auto-Pours, There is NO point in going to an 'autobar' even in Nivens 'Oath of Fealty' Todos Santos had autobars which delivered to whereever you were - and 'Real bar' where a good bartender dispensed drinks and wisdom.

On the other side of the coin I'm not there to talk shop with the bar keep, I'm there with friends/family/date.

I'm actually ok with auto bar dispensing drinks, as they are consistent and quick. If this place is anywhere near as popular as it's DL counter part (guarantee, it will be) the bar tenders will have a hard enough time keeping up with serving people with the auto system. Keep in mind all of the vacay women who want froo froo drinks. Like the above said, those take a lot of time to make. So what happens when there's an entire line of women wanting froo froos?

Usually I'm against automation, but in this case, I'll give it a go.

PhilharMagician

You are leaving out the one positive...Those machines allow you to produce consistent drinks, time after time, at an alarming rate. 2 shots Cabo Wabo tequila, 1-ounce fresh lime juice, 1-ounce Cointreau and a splash of Grand Marnier produces a good margarita regardless if a human or a machine pours it.

Given the choice of a rushed bartender being off by 20%-50% when he/she pours and a machine that is always right, I'll take the machine.

You mean it is not supposed to be 1/2 ounce of Jose Cuervo Especial, crappy sour mix blended with ice in a whirling dispenser then extracted into a plastic cup for $9.50.

I would not be upset over a dispenser at busy locations, but I do like the nostalgia of watching a good bartender making a great cocktail. Problem is many places do not have good bartenders.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
On the other side of the coin I'm not there to talk shop with the bar keep, I'm there with friends/family/date.

I'm actually ok with auto bar dispensing drinks, as they are consistent and quick. If this place is anywhere near as popular as it's DL counter part (guarantee, it will be) the bar tenders will have a hard enough time keeping up with serving people with the auto system. Keep in mind all of the vacay women who want froo froo drinks. Like the above said, those take a lot of time to make. So what happens when there's an entire line of women wanting froo froos?

Usually I'm against automation, but in this case, I'll give it a go.

This Guy would fit

R2-D2-bartender.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member

I'm actually ok with auto bar dispensing drinks, as they are consistent and quick. If this place is anywhere near as popular as it's DL counter part (guarantee, it will be) the bar tenders will have a hard enough time keeping up with serving people with the auto system.

Let's be honest... No Disney bar is going to get anywhere near as busy at the bar as a popular disco in any major city or college town. Just worlds different in how many people they stack in. I don't think a Disney bar is anywhere near the limit of what's feasible for bar service

As for the bartender vs friends - that's an individual thing. Some people will actually follow bartenders around night to night as they work different bars, etc. the bartender is part of the environment and entertainment .

It's not everyone style... But they are quite popular. I don't fawn over them... But I do have favorites vs others at my local bars

tikiman

Original Poster
I wouldn't place any bets on an auto dispenser type machine, lol. That sounds horrid and insulting to any serious mixologist, and despite whatever knocks the bartenders throughout WDW may or may not receive, I believe those in charge of food and liquor through Disney wouldn't allow it.

I believe Sam's will remain approximately the same size as it is in CA, housed only in the Polynesian. I'm sure the staff will be trained accordingly and using no more premixes than are currently used (I believe they use a mix for their Zombies, but that's not unusual to any tiki bar or to any bar in tiki history - think of Don's Mix #2 etc). Its pretty much juices, syrups, then alcohols + garnish. Not over the top difficult.

As for the size of Trader Sam’s at the Polynesian I am guessing it will not be much bigger than what is at DL just because of where they are putting it.

As for the Zombie not being difficult I would have to disagree with that and I would say a good traditional tiki bar will not use a mix. If I ordered a Zombie and saw them bust out a mix I would order something else. Part of the art of these drinks is crafting them by hand.

While the bartenders at the Barefoot Bar are limited on ingredients to make most of the traditional Tiki Bar drinks, they will make you a real Mai Tai if you ask for it. Most people do not like the taste of a traditional Trader Vic’s Mai Tai. I prefer it over the sweet, colorful juice filled version but most people think a Lava Flow is a good tiki bar drink. I’m more of a Suffering or Sidewinder Fang type. If I want something not so sweet I like to make a nice, simple Great White.

Walter at the Tambu Lounge does make a good Scorpion. Ask him about the time they almost lit the bar on fire. That was back in the days they could have some fun at the bar.

Duckberg

Tikiman will take your suggestion on using the Barefoot Bar at the Poly. Had a Mai Tai (name only) at the Tambu last year it was pretty bad!

tikiman

Original Poster
Tikiman will take your suggestion on using the Barefoot Bar at the Poly. Had a Mai Tai (name only) at the Tambu last year it was pretty bad!

Ask for it as Aunty’s Mai Tai and they will make one the is more traditional. Otherwise you will get the too sweet mix version.

I asked the guys to make a Tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki rum and they did not have the ingredients out at the barefoot bar. They need to give them more stuff out there.

kkocka

As for the Zombie not being difficult I would have to disagree with that and I would say a good traditional tiki bar will not use a mix. If I ordered a Zombie and saw them bust out a mix I would order something else. Part of the art of these drinks is crafting them by hand.

You misunderstand me - the zombie isn't made from a mix, like you'd buy a gross Bacardi zombie mix, but rather one of the ingredients is pre-mixed (in bar) collection of juices, spices, syrups, etc. This way, rather than pouring 16 different ingredients you only have to pour 6. Its like the Gorilla Grog - they have a premixed batch of Grog that they pour into drinks instead of pouring each juice/ingredient separately into every drink.

I guess I meant to say that the Zombie is simplified so that anybody within a range of bartending experience can make a solid zombie, and not relying on one's experience to measure out in a jigger each and every ingredient.

As far as the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum, its just the Painkiller recipe - oj, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and rum. I can't imagine which of those ingredients they didn't have at Barefoot. :O

Soarin' Over Pgh

Any of the above sounds good on a day like today. Forecast called for 2-4 inches of snow last night, so far we have at least 6.

Don't care if it's premixed or not, just put them in front of me. :)

The local bars around here (and this is Pittsburgh, theres a lot) usually do a premix for the complex girly drinks that all the amateurs order on weekends. That way it's easier to serve a whole flock of them when they come in. I appreciate it, actually, as it frees up the bartender to hustle out the easy drinks faster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom