Disney is going to scale back the Polynesian DVC plans in a big way.

asianway

Here is the report I posted last night. If I had not gotten this info from the people involved I would not believe it. With the way Disney keeps changing the plan I agree with those that say we need to wait and see what will happen.

http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/news/224-july-news
So lemme get this straight. They think people are going to buy into a Timeshare for a building for which the physical structure will be 95 years old at the end of the land lease(give or take)?

tikiman

Original Poster
So lemme get this straight. They think people are going to buy into a Timeshare for a building for which the physical structure will be 95 years old at the end of the land lease(give or take)?

How long are the leases? Tahiti will only be 30 years old when DVC is completed.

tikiman

Original Poster
An update on waterfallgate.
There are a few reasons that the waterfall needs to be removed. One of which is due to needing to replace all the skylights in the GCH and the other more important and understandable one being it is a health hazard. I guess the waterfall and outside ponds cycle the same water and the pumps and filters would be extremely expensive to redesign. When it brings the water inside to be pumped for the waterfall it introduces harmful bacteria that come from the water outside. They also want it to be open through the center with a new water feature that will not block the view out to the pool and beach similar to Aulani’s lobby.

aladdin2007

There are a few reasons that the waterfall needs to be removed. One of which is due to needing to replace all the skylights in the GCH and the other more important and understandable one being it is a health hazard. I guess the waterfall and outside ponds cycle the same water and the pumps and filters would be extremely expensive to redesign. When it brings the water inside to be pumped for the waterfall it introduces harmful bacteria that come from the water outside. They also want it to be open through the center with a new water feature that will not block the view out to the pool and beach similar to Aulani’s lobby.

Thanks for the update tikiman, this is sounding better at least and is much more understanable and actually could be nice. I will miss all the foliage though in the middle. I'll have to look up Aulanis lobby online to check it out and see how it looks. Now what can we do about Maelstroms waterfall lolol, offtopic I know but sheesh.

ps: what is the timeline again for GCH? was this year or next

Victor Kelly

First I must say this to people saying the lobby is dated and looks nothing like real life.

I will use my own experiences as an example. For instance we have been to the Bahamas and Jamaica. The Caribbean Beach Resort looks nothing like real life. Jamaica for all it has, is in abject poverty. Only the resorts look nice. The Bahamas, better than Jamaica, but still nothing like the pictures.

The resort does not need to look like real life. The Poly lobby is lush and beautiful, downright relaxing. It may not look like anything in polynesia(sp) but who cares.

Second customer flow and check in. Granted, we stay at POP, but I have stayed in Dixie Landings, the Contemporary, and been through other hotel lobbies on and off property. But, no lobby is ever big enough when bus loads of people arrive. POP was the best lobby I have ever been in. Smooth check in, the best by far. The Poly check in area, is perfect the way it is.

As far as the GCH goes. They can mitigate the asbestos without tearing the building down. I have seen it done plenty of times. Now if the building is structurally deficient, then yes bulldoze it for everyone's safety.

I would prefer keeping what is already at WDW because TDO does not have a good track record when they replace something. Usually it is shabby, cheap, and a shell of what it once was. Granted FLE may be the exception but it is certainly not the rule.

asianway

How long are the leases? Tahiti will only be 30 years old when DVC is completed.
50 - I feel like such a loser, I never bothered to learn which building was which when they changed names, so I have no clue anymore without looking at a map. Still...aesthetics aside, at lease GF and BLT are new buildings

willtravel

WL has a tremendous water feature. Which originates in the lobby. It is downright spectacular, and IMO the pinnacle of the WDW resort experience.
That's what I thought. So why is the Poly's high maintenance and not the one in WL? Granted most of it is outside but still..........

tikiman

Original Poster
Thanks for the update tikiman, this is sounding better at least and is much more understanable and actually could be nice. I will miss all the foliage though in the middle. I'll have to look up Aulanis lobby online to check it out and see how it looks. Now what can we do about Maelstroms waterfall lolol, offtopic I know but sheesh.

ps: what is the timeline again for GCH? was this year or next

I have not seen a schedule but my guess would be sometime next year. There is no need to take down the structure so they seem to have decided to do it in stages.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That's what I thought. So why is the Poly's high maintenance and not the one in WL? Granted most of it is outside but still..........

I would assume that age has something to do with it. There is a 23 +/- year difference between the constructions starts of the 2 resorts and you have to think construction methods, pumps, filters, etc had to get better in that time. I am sure being smack dab in the middle of the lobby does not help either.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia

Thanks for the update, @tikiman. I guess my first thought is, if it's such a health hazard, why is it still currently in operation? Also, wouldn't the spring inside WL be a hazard as well? These questions aren't directed at you tikiman, or anyone else for that matter. I'm just posting my initial thoughts.

EDIT: Just read what @Master Yoda posted above with regard to the WL water feature.

willtravel

Yeah but differences are:
1. You get free bus from airport.
2. extra Magic Hours (which if rumors are true will be gone in the next few years)
3. Whole Disney Experience.

All in all Still probably worth saving the coin.
Transportation is not free. It is in the price you pay for the hotel. Actually I think everyone pays for transportation whether you use it or not.

willtravel

Disney is not going to tell us why they are going away. Simple logic would dictate that they either feel that the cost to do EMH is greater than the return they are getting from increased room bookings or they think the room bookings will not drop as a result of getting rid of EMH and they can pocket the savings.
I would have to assume though at spring break and winter break there would be EMH and the rest of the time it would be as needed and not posted in advance like they use to?

willtravel

I would assume that age has something to do with it. There is a 23 +/- year difference between the constructions starts of the 2 resorts and you have to think construction methods, pumps, filters, etc had to get better in that time. I am sure being smack dab in the middle of the lobby does not help either.
Hopefully if they tore it down at the Poly they would put in some type of water feature like WL.. That would be nice. At least it would be something. Can't remember,r does AK lobby have water?

tikiman

Original Poster
Thanks for the update, @tikiman. I guess my first thought is, if it's such a health hazard, why is it still currently in operation? Also, wouldn't the spring inside WL be a hazard as well? These questions aren't directed at you tikiman, or anyone else for that matter. I'm just posting my initial thoughts.

EDIT: Just read what @Master Yoda posted above with regard to the WL water feature.

The pump and filtration I am told was a poor design and you basically have to take the whole thing apart to replace it so why not just take it out. It is safe to the guests because they have to repare it all the time so that it stays safe.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would have to assume though at spring break and winter break there would be EMH and the rest of the time it would be as needed and not posted in advance like they use to?

Hard to say. It going away completely is just rumor at this point, but it is a rumor that has some pretty good legs. The bottom line is EMH, especially at MK, is pretty expensive to do and has other consequences. One of those consequences is the problem of simply not having the proper amount time to turn the park around. When you go from having 6-7 hours to clean and fix the park to 3-4, things like cleaning, painting, fixing this effect, etc are going to get left off the list. If the perk is not offsetting the cost by the way of increased hotel bookings, merchandise, etc then they almost have to ditch it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Hopefully if they tore it down at the Poly they would put in some type of water feature like WL.. That would be nice. At least it would be something. Can't remember,r does AK lobby have water?

No. They have fire.

Beavis-fire.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom