Disney is fading on me

eliza61nyc

Because the experience for price now isn't anywhere near what it has been. This is particularly apparent for people who have been going to Disney for some time.

I guess I'm more pragmatic. I travel worldwide. there is NOTHING anywhere like it use to be.

The best example of this is air travel. I remember when you use to get dressed up for flying, seats where comfortable and you got a full meal no matter where you flew too. fast forward to today.

I spent a summer in Paris in the early 1980's , one could go to the Louvre in the middle of dead summer, stroll around, sit on the benches in front of a piece of artwork never have to say "excuse me".

I've been going to Disney for decades. purchased my dvc back in 2000. sorry I cannot understand this notion that anyplace on the planet would stay the same as it was 10, 20 years ago. A business would go under.

Do I like packed parks, no but I am glad to see the changes to the park and an significant uptick in new product (rides and entertaining) offerings.

KBLovedDisney

I appreciate your thoughts here. I have to wonder though, for those "old school crazies", just how much of our current Disney experiences are held up the nostalgia you mention. I don't really think about in the front of my mind while I'm there, but I have to believe that I wouldn't be as positive about my time there if the Disney World of Old were not somehow indelibly imprinted within.
Good point. :/

eliza61nyc

I appreciate your thoughts here. I have to wonder though, for those "old school crazies", just how much of our current Disney experiences are held up the nostalgia you mention. I don't really think about in the front of my mind while I'm there, but I have to believe that I wouldn't be as positive about my time there if the Disney World of Old were not somehow indelibly imprinted within.

So in general I don't play the "when I was a youngin" game on any place I travel to because it's a lesson in futility. ANY place you go to over 10, 20 years has to change. if it didn't it would go under.

anyone over 50 here remember how flying "used" to be??? I sure do. first you got dressed to fly, second the seats where way more comfortable, more space and you got full meals. It was also god awful expensive. so lamenting what flying use to be is useless.

Now I remember when Disney literally had "dead" seasons, that has changed. Disney did an excellent job of branding those periods and the word got out about them thanks to groups like this. So now there really isn't any "dead" season.

Next, changes to the parks. I think that is more "subjective". some folks bemoan the lack of "originality". I guess for me, that's not a biggie. I'm glad they are modernizing the parks, really does not bother me that they are bringing more movie themed attractions, hey obviously that's what John q public wants. Pandora land is excellent if only in themeing. wish it were bigger so you don't feel squeezed into the back and I'm willing to bet they are going to knock it out of the parks with Star wars land.

Last edited:

OneofThree

sorry I cannot understand this notion that anyplace on the planet would stay the same as it was 10, 20 years ago. A business would go under.

Do I like packed parks, no but I am glad to see the changes to the park and an significant uptick in new product (rides and entertaining) offerings.

I've expressed as much elsewhere, but I'll repeat here that while I'm thankful that Disney World continues to be viable, it doesn't stop me from lamenting the effect of some of the revenue generating strategies. Where I would also agree that this reality isn't one confined to Disney, I'm particularly bothered when it comes to the World because of so many very, very fond memories which now span over 30 years.

eliza61nyc

I've expressed as much elsewhere, but I'll repeat here that while I'm thankful that Disney World continues to be viable, it doesn't stop me from lamenting the effect of some of the revenue generating strategies. Where I would also agree that this reality isn't one confined to Disney, I'm particularly bothered when it comes to the World because of so many very, very fond memories which now span over 30 years.

Totally understand One.

I wonder if it then becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. long time visitors don't have a good time because they expect it to be like it was when they first started going.

Unfortunately no matter what Disney does, what they can't do is go back in time.

OneofThree

Totally understand One.

I wonder if it then becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. long time visitors don't have a good time because they expect it to be like it was when they first started going.

Unfortunately no matter what Disney does, what they can't do is go back in time.

All my dissonance and complaining takes place when I'm not at Disney, lol. When I'm there, I enjoy it for what it does have to offer.

Sonconato

Not sure what the note would be. The ultimate goal of the Disney Parks is to get as many guests as possible in order to make as much money as possible.

Lets say its you or I that gets the job of President of Magic Kingdom and we now have the ability to make change happen. We are judged on attendance and guest spending. We institute a change that drives down attendance by 15% year over year and the guests are much happier because crowds are lighter. We lose our job immediately and DIS stock plummets. Who in current or future management would ever champion an idea or notion that would get them fired? Crowds are a huge issue for us but are the exact opposite for the people who could do something about them.

Its comforting to think that Walt is looking down on us and nodding approvingly at our wish that the parks were emptier and less expensive. That ship has sailed though. Those days will never come back. It will always be crowded now and the MBAs at the top only care about increasing the numbers we lament. We can post constantly, write letters, sign petitions, it won't matter in the slightest. Enjoy them as they are or be okay with complaining simply to complain and not because it will drive any change.

Or stop going, which crowd levels don't suggest is happening.
Yes, all of that is true. However, when they have more employees working there, the crowds are managed much better. Also, when people complain, Disney will at times listen. For instance, one time we were stuck in Tomorrowland Terrace for an hour during the fireworks and then everyone including us went to Guest Services and complained. The next week, more employees were there to guide the guests around this problem area. Also, there was the time we complained about the bottleneck on the bridge to Frontierland from Liberty Square. In that case, a new pathway was created.

EricsBiscuit

I love WDW and go once a week. The key to having it last is to savor the experience. Crowds at MK? Sure. I just go where the crowds aren't and only wade in when I have a FP. I do CBJ, WDETR, etc. and have an awesome time at MK. I have a few "secret spots" for the fireworks and know how to time leaving so I don't have to wait. The key is not necessarily lowering expectations, but instead to go with a relaxed mindset. To me, WDW isn't about the rides, it's about a place I can go and get away from the stress of the business, family etc.

amjt660

I love WDW and go once a week. The key to having it last is to savor the experience. Crowds at MK? Sure. I just go where the crowds aren't and only wade in when I have a FP. I do CBJ, WDETR, etc. and have an awesome time at MK. I have a few "secret spots" for the fireworks and know how to time leaving so I don't have to wait. The key is not necessarily lowering expectations, but instead to go with a relaxed mindset. To me, WDW isn't about the rides, it's about a place I can go and get away from the stress of the business, family etc.
WDETR?
Please explain
This one is new to me

Max

EricsBiscuit

If you go once a week then crowds are not that big a deal because you will be back soon.

I'm sure your perception would be much different if you could go only once a year, or once every few years and have to pay for airfare and lodging.
I go to Disneyland once every two years and I enjoy it despite the ridiculous crowds in a puny park. I went to SDL and TDL and the crowds didn't bother me. And believe me, I paid a pretty penny to stay at Grand Californian, Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, and Shanghai Disneyland Hotel. I'll return to the Asian parks in 2020 because I enjoyed them so much despite the crowds.

eliza61nyc

If you go once a week then crowds are not that big a deal because you will be back soon.

I'm sure your perception would be much different if you could go only once a year, or once every few years and have to pay for airfare and lodging.

Not being snarky but if you go only once a year than planning is absolutely the key. Now most everyone should know that there is really no "slow" time at Disney. so it's imperative that one planning like it's the invasion of Normandy. I totally get that for everyone that sucks. I am like that but unfortunately that is how Disney has played the cards.

I'm going in April with 3 of my girlfriends who are all 1st timers. Yes, I signed up for touringplans, I posted questions here about crowds, weather, transportation. I asked which park to visit, when. I rarely make ADR's. I made them this time.

IMO it's not that Disney is uber crowded it's the fact that folks will not accept that Disney is now uber crowded. I too am paying for flights, rental car, I'm using my dvc points but they still have a value and park tickets. I fully understand that in all probability the parks will be more crowded than in previous trips.

In all seriousness that is only likely to get worst with the new lands opening up in the next 3 years.

Disneys 50th anniversary is coming up. I'm willing to bet Disney is planning on a huge year long celebration that is going to pack in the parks.
Folks are going to have two options. either accept that fact and plan accordingly or not go

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Now most everyone should know that there is really no "slow" time at Disney
Too many of us remember "the good old days" and continue to hope the week they plan won't be busy, but the fact remains, disney has been successful in attracting more and more people and there is no time of year where there's no crowds

IMO it's not that Disney is uber crowded it's the fact that folks will not accept that Disney is now uber crowded
Agreed, I think if you set your expectations and maybe slow things down, i.e., don't try to cram all the rides in MK in a single day. Take a slower pace with the realization you're going to be waiting in line. Enjoy the experience, don't get frustrated.

John park hopper

Personnally I do not like the crowds and I am old enough to remember when there wasn't at WDW (faulty of age). I am not willing to accept paying the prices and standing in ridiculously long lines (not my idea of the magic). People going now don't know anything different and simply expect and accept the crowded conditions and Disney knows this so for them crowds are not a problem-- more $$$. We have all ways enjoyed Disney but for us the crowds have lessened that enjoyment; our last trip will be with the granddaughters for MK 50th anniversary. If crowds don't bother you that's great hope you have a great time

jimbojones

Personnally I do not like the crowds and I am old enough to remember when there wasn't at WDW (faulty of age). I am not willing to accept paying the prices and standing in ridiculously long lines (not my idea of the magic). People going now don't know anything different and simply expect and accept the crowded conditions and Disney knows this so for them crowds are not a problem-- more $$$. We have all ways enjoyed Disney but for us the crowds have lessened that enjoyment; our last trip will be with the granddaughters for MK 50th anniversary. If crowds don't bother you that's great hope you have a great time
The only thing I personally don't like about WDW is the crowds and the crowd/dollar ratio, otherwise I love the rides, love the themeing and love the atmosphere. I think you are right, I have had many trips over the years when a 30 minute wait would have been unusually long and 10-15 minutes was typical, so reports of 2-3 hour waits just blow my mind completely. My WDW love is not unconditional, life is short, budgets are limited and the world is a big place to explore while we can.

jaklgreen

I would prefer that there aren't crowds but I still enjoy the Disney parks immensely.

I think this is the issue. Too many people!! The parks are generally the same, especially MK. But the ridiculously long waits and the cattle call walkways is the biggest turn off IMO. Some of you say that "MK" is a mess, but really except for the expansion in Fantasyland, which is a good thing, the park is the same. The only difference is the amount of people and the wait times. If the crowds were back down to what they were in the late 80s and early 90s, I bet most of us would not be saying that it is not worth it anymore. We don't feel like we are getting the value of our money anymore, especially since they keep increasing the prices. More money+ being able to do less things is a recipe for disaster. I wish the people in charge would actually go on vacation like a tourist so they can see what is going on.

jaklgreen

In Asian culture, that’s not rude. It comes with the territory when you have extremely densely populated cities that rely on train systems for nearly all travel. That issue is cultural... not the result of rude people.

Conversely... I’ve never been in Shanghai Disney (or Hong Kong, or Tokyo for that matter) and had my toes run over by a rascal scooter. Multiple times. I’ve never had the back of my ankles hit by strollers. I’ve never staked out a spot for fireworks and at the last second had two parents shove themselves in front of me and THEN put their kid on their shoulders. In fact, In tokyo everyone sat down and it was fabulous.

To name a small few.

I beg to differ. That rudeness is not an ASIAN thing, it is a CHINESE thing. Other Asians also complain about the Chinese people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom