Disney Internet Chief gone.

kapeman

Original Poster
Good news, everyone!

farnsworth.jpg

I hope so.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39340285

Wilt Dasney

I don't know anything about this gentleman and I won't celebrate anyone being out of work, but Disney's online presence has been sorely lacking for a long time IMO. The parks blog and Facebook pages are improvements, I think, but the official site has been a nightmare for years.

NadieMasK2

Maybe they'll bring back VMK! Probably not though since it didn't make money (even though it was extremely popular and promoted the parks).

Yes, the "My Vacation" and "My Itineraries" sections are pitiful. I was browsing there again today, reviewing my ressies and and was thinking, "when are they going to get this stuff updated"? I think three years is long enough! But then again, I'm not in the IT department, so what do I know?

tirian

Disney's online presence has three massive problems IMO:

1) Nothing is organized well or intuitively.

2) They rely too much on Flash, which is clunky and buggy.

3) The theme park sites don't do anything to capture the mood of actually being in one of the parks.

Like any other large division, this one is cluttered with multiple ranks of management; the Internet chief probably had nothing to do with overseeing the actual design and coding.

Thrill

I have a feeling that the new guy is worse. Where does the online gaming business go when the social gaming bubble pops in the coming months? The buyout of Playdom was a terrible move, in my opinion.

Thrill

Talent and vision are not necessary for website design. Usability and utility are what is needed.

Talent and vision are crucial to video game/MMO design. Especially when we're discussing a division that's barely profitable, if at all. The new president is from Playdom, the Facebook game company that Disney bought a few weeks back. That's Disney's new focus. The website is the least of the division's worries.

Wilt Dasney

Talent and vision are crucial to video game/MMO design. Especially when we're discussing a division that's barely profitable, if at all. The new president is from Playdom, the Facebook game company that Disney bought a few weeks back. That's Disney's new focus. The website is the least of the division's worries.

Maybe that's part of the problem. :lookaroun

mickeysaver

Talent and vision are not necessary for website design. Usability and utility are what is needed.

Talent and vision in the terms that I meant were a bit more broad than I think you many have assumed. Talent: The ability to seek out and employ the right people to bring Disney's online presence into the current age of internet standards. Vision: Someone who actually understands the fact that a pretty flashy website is not necessarily a really useful website. Someone that understands that keeping things up to date is imparative in this fast paced information age. Someone that understands that new technology should be explored and considered to enhance the guest internet experience. Someone that understands that social media can make or break companies these days and currently Disney is losing a lot of ground in the hearts and minds of our "read it and believe it" generation. Someone who can find a way to utilize other corporate resources to enhance the internet division of the company, as in why in the world doesn't Disney work a little more closely with Apple with a little of that oh so popular "Synergy" to make the Disney internet experience a showplace for Apple technology?

There are more layers to Talent and Vision than what I have just written. I just wanted to give you and idea of what this guest would hope for from Disney in respect to what the company would be looking for in the way of someone to handle this position and bring forth a better experience for the guest and a bigger, better, more functional internet experience for everyone.

toolsnspools

The current site has all the earmarks of a customer driven (and I mean internal customers, like parks, and HR, and ...) site that was never guided by a single vision. That would be why the AP site, and others were so out dated. They never asked for an update, so they didn't get one. The customers that were looking for updates all drove their own changes and so they all have a different look and feel. Hopefully the new guy will take ownership of the site as a whole, and then guide the internal customers to a common theme. And yes, less flash and more content should be part of the new overall design.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom