Disney in January

Philo

Its a great time to go. A little cold for some but I loved it.

The marathon crowds didn't make much of a difference to me (once you got to the parks) but you might want to avoid the AK as they run right through it meaning that it feels quite crowded.

I arrived the day before the marathon this year for 14 days and the crowds were very small. I think we queued about 30mins at the most for any attraction but generally it was less than 10 minutes.

It is however still worth making dining reservations as some places (like coral reef) were all booked up although were were able to make reservations for california grill whilst we were there and a few other places were just walk-in.

Upvote 0

mouselvrmom

We didn't have any problems with the marathon. I think that the crowd level is all comparative. It's certainly not as crowded as other times. We really like going in Jan or Feb. Unfortunately after our next trip, i think we will have to start going in the summer with everyone's school schedules. Crowds here we come. :lol:

Upvote 0

Micca

We're headed out in early January. We have been in January before, and it can get cold, but compared to most places in the U.S. it's still mild. Besides it gives me a chance to wear my Mickey leather jacket which is so cool the CMs ooh and ahhh over it.:) Crowds shouldn't be much of an issue.

Upvote 0

TheKeeler7

According to Touring plans the crowds should be about the same as the 2nd week in December. The last week in Jan. Looks to be the best of the year. Which is how my DW and I choose for our trip.

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

That's one of the best times to go. The weekdays will be nice and not crowded, the weekends will get busier, but nothing to pull your hair out over.

Be prepared for crazy weather in January though, we've been known to have 85 degree days on Wednesday, and 45 on Thursday... Just keep an eye on that!

Upvote 0

IWorkWTeeth

According to Touring plans the crowds should be about the same as the 2nd week in December. The last week in Jan. Looks to be the best of the year. Which is how my DW and I choose for our trip.

YEAH! We'll be there January 20-29! Can't wait! We haven't been in January before..........

Upvote 0

krisrunsdisney

Most marathoners will check out on the 14th. We get there early to enjoy the parks but are too sore and tired to enjoy walking around much after that. On the 13th we may annoy you a bit. Please listen for CM directions so we don't run you down. And we will be limping and walking slowly so you should be able to pass us up to get a better spot in line!:lol:

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

That's one of the best times to go. The weekdays will be nice and not crowded, the weekends will get busier, but nothing to pull your hair out over.

Be prepared for crazy weather in January though, we've been known to have 85 degree days on Wednesday, and 45 on Thursday... Just keep an eye on that!

Yeah, it was in the high 70's yesterday, and is 50 today. And windy... brr. Reminds me of fall in New York :p

Upvote 0

Blonde Princess

January

I've been there every year in January for past four years. We are going from the 11th through the 21st. It can be cooler even cold. But I've had worse luck with weather in November for Thanksgiving. It snowed in 2006. Anyway, crowds are ok. I would avoid MGM during the marathon as well. The course goes through MGM too.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

We've been 4 times in January/February and I love that time. We just got back from a 1st of December trip and I can honestly say this trip was more crowded than what we're accustom to. I think for future trips, DH and I will go alone in the off-seasons and probably start taking the kids for spring break or initial week of summer vacation. It's getting a lot harder to juggle their school work as they get older.

Upvote 0
Most marathoners will check out on the 14th. We get there early to enjoy the parks but are too sore and tired to enjoy walking around much after that. On the 13th we may annoy you a bit. Please listen for CM directions so we don't run you down. And we will be limping and walking slowly so you should be able to pass us up to get a better spot in line!:lol:

We have done the Disney Marathon for the last 4 years.
The parks are quiet, except when the runners are going through the parks. You will need to keep an eye open at certain crosswalks. When the runners come through, you will be stopped, until an opening is available.

We always stay until the Monday after the marathon to rest and limp through the parks.

You can always tell a marathon-er (or half, or even the Goofy runners), they have a certain limp, and lot's of "BLING" around their necks (finishers medals).
I am doing the half this year and my wife is doing the Goofy. Should be a great weekend.

Beware of the weather. One year the race started at 78 degrees, and the next year it was 34 degrees.

Once the marathon is over, the parks will be empty.......

Blue

Upvote 0

mousebymarriage

I guess for my trip Jan. 29th - Feb. 5th I should pack clothes for warm and cold weather! My DH seems to think that we won't need the cold weather stuff but, I tried to tell him. I love it when I am right!:p

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom