Disney Imagineering Testing Dragon

SirLink

Right that's my confusion on this. They used their blog geared toward guests to promote the whole dragon thing. It just makes zero sense to then use him for a media/press event only.

It is almost 'as if' the Social Media Team had no idea that the TDO was only using the dragon as a one off situation - or it does when you read both text and watch the video.

ExtinctJenn

It is almost 'as if' the Social Media Team had no idea that the TDO was only using the dragon as a one off situation - or it does when you read both text and watch the video.
Now that would be the definition of an Epic Fail. :D Y'know... it never dawned on me that could be the case but it's highly possible isn't it? The whole one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing syndrome.

Dasnowz

I wonder how many drunk folks freaked out when the dragon was out last night. Talk about disney MAGIC!

Try being a very tired and driving home at 3 am and seeing the testing going on.... At first I thought I was way to tired and hallucinating. Then I remembered reading about it.

janoimagine

We know why, we just don't think it was all that appropriate or clever as nothing featured in this expansion features dragons from the source material. The real reason is it was a repurposed publicity stunt. They knew it could fly as a dragon and did not have to redress it to anything else other than what it was tested as.
We are well aware that classic celtic and enchanted European storytelling features dragons, but this stunt was not well thought out creativley and it shows. Kind of like if a bunch of Crash Test Dummy characters similar to the old cartoon opened the new Test Track. That is great and sure it fits but the motif and direction is now far different than anything the theme is going for.
Well.... Yeah. WDWs Fanland has no Dragon. It has no link to anything on offer in Orlandos MK.
I see what your saying but ... This is one time that I don't think we have to be so literal about it having a direct line to an attraction or other prop ... it is fantasy and creatively gives you a pass based on that alone ... you can loosely tie it to the Sword and the Stone which had Madam Mim turning into the dragon which has a physical prescence in Fantasyland if your really looking for something ... I just think we are all (myself included) way over thinking this one.

WED Purist

So the marketing department only has one time to show something off, and they choose to show it to vast and varied media types. How is that an "epic fail"?

Has anyone here ever read the parable of the sour grapes?

Lee

Adventurer
So the marketing department only has one time to show something off, and they choose to show it to vast and varied media types. How is that an "epic fail"?

Showing it off to media isn't a problem.

Not showing it to guests is the fail.
It's kinda like Lucky or the Muppet thing. Why publicize something 99.999999% of guests won't ever see.

Because if the intention all along was for the dragon to be a "one time only" only for the press,bloggers etc..event they should not have created such a sprawling media campaign directed at the mere mortals that are us the paying guest.., I myself was following the blog and videos and getting pretty excited and personally felt the people Disney had riled about this have been let down...not sour grapes...big fat juicy disappointed ones...

WED Purist

Guests in the park could see it. And if they didn't know it was coming it was probably amazing. Even the cast members were pretty impressed.

Captain Chaos

Yep.
"But mommy....you said there would be a dragon! Waaaaaahhhhh!"
"I know dear. Let's go to City Hall and yell at the plaid behind the counter. Maybe they'll give us something for our disappointment."

I hope that happens.
Guest: But, but, LOU and the mommy bloggers said the dragon was cool!!!!! I WANNA SEE THE DRAGON!!!!!
Plaid: Become a mommy blogger and .... then you too can see the next waste of a prop.

TalkingHead

The event had regular press types too. Everyone keeps harping on the bloggers but this was for all their invited media

I didn't mean the online community that was invited to the MK. I meant the viewers of the viral videos, the tumblr account, blog posts, Tweets, etc.

Why promote the dragon to those people?

TalkingHead

Yep.
"But mommy....you said there would be a dragon! Waaaaaahhhhh!"
"I know dear. Let's go to City Hall and yell at the plaid behind the counter. Maybe they'll give us something for our disappointment."

I hope that happens.

Anyone going to MK in the near future should complain at City Hall and see what happens. It'd make for an interesting experiment.

WED Purist

I'm not in marketing. I don't agree with marketing, and I don't like what they've done with the company. I understand what they did here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom