Disney Imagineering Testing Dragon

nytimez

You're talking idealist - and in the real world trenches - it doesn't go down that way, even in traditional media. There are rules of engagement, and there are times and places for things. If you start ambushing people.. you will find yourself on the outside. Usually trying to ambush someone in the spotlight doesn't do you any good anyways.. just because you ASK the question doesn't mean you'll get an answer. And you've burned your bridge in the process. Investigative journalism doesn't break the story by asking the President of the company during a press event about it.

A press event is hardly an ambush. And asking about things that are widely public is hardly investigative. Out in the real world, there is ALWAYS the tug of war between the story the company/person wants you to tell and the story the reporter/editor wants to give the readers. At least some of the time, it does benefit the reader (or viewer).

The problem in this specific case is the people who know won't ask... and the people who would ask, don't know.

lebeau

You know, if it weren't for my blog I'm not sure anyone would go to WDW any more. It's just that important. Now where's my freebies? I want to stay in a deluxe resort. I know how to spell "magical". Call me!

Lee

Adventurer
Tossing this in here since this seems to be where the social media discussion is an the moment.
Disney is hiring a marketing/recruitment intern. Below are the duties of the position.
Additional Marketing Responsibilities include (but not limited to) the following:
Manage posting for all social media properties (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn) for all lines of business, including Entertainment, Disney Cruise Line, Professional Services, Casting Services and Disney Internships and Programs
Daily monitoring of forums and Initiating conversation through forums, twitter and postings
Assist with content development for all social media sites including writing of articles for the Disney Internships and Programs Blog
Responsible for the collection of social photo assets to support social content on all platforms
Researching and identifying social trends, on-line consumer behavior, and developing social promotional opportunities
Manage and execute all content updates for recruitment web sites as well as managing the upload and remove of assets/testimonials
Support Recruitment Marketing team with current projects such as collateral development, photo/video shoots, website re-design, and other special projects
Assisting in writing copy/proofing for marketing/sales materials
Maintaining presentation boards and sample marketing material notebooks
Attending internal/external client meetings
Assist with admin responsibilities as needed (inventory management, invoicing, etc)
Interesting, I thought.

RSoxNo1

Tossing this in here since this seems to be where the social media discussion is an the moment.
Disney is hiring a marketing/recruitment intern. Below are the duties of the position.

Interesting, I thought.
Sounds like a fun job, sign me up.

msteel

They would just delete it like they do any other post that isn't full of pixie dust...

But if they have to delete enough like that then at least that sends a message. Whether the message gets to the person it needs to get to is still uncertain. But someone will get it.

msteel

My mixed opinion of the dragon given my understanding of the facts is this:
(+) It looked amazing on the video. Though from experience in audio production (and to a much lesser extent video production) I admit there are many ways to manipulate even live recordings/footage.
(-) It sounds like it cost a huge amount of money for a one time use.
(+/-) Shoehorning the dragon in as a plan B - once costs were sunk and when the original application no longer applied - is a valid thing to do, but at the same time doesn't mean it is the best thing to do.
(+) The actual dragon or a derivative using the same concept could still be used somewhere, sometime, for someone and that could still include regular guests.
(-) The "viral" marketing campaign appears to raise guest expectations of seeing this without the intent to deliver.
(+) At the same time it is valid to showcase something amazing you were able to pull off, even you cannot repeat it regularly for the general public.
(-) If it truly is not expensive or dangerous to repeat a genuinely amazing experience for the general public, then you are stupid to limit it to a one time use.

asianway

Interesting, I thought.
Seems you just found the smoking gun, Kungaloosh!

Alektronic

Interesting, I thought.

Here is something else interesting also but it looks like for NexGen jobs:

Hyper-Care Support Assistant - providing guidance system implementation, identifying and documenting system issues and trends and communicating with the Experience Service Command Centers to deliver comphrehensive data reporting.

Just spoke with a freind that is very closely involved with the Mystery Dragon and I was told that was not the only time that it will be making an appearance. I know this is kind of vague, but that is all I was told.

njDizFan

Additional Marketing Responsibilities include (but not limited to) the following:​
Manage posting for all social media properties (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn) for all lines of business, including Entertainment, Disney Cruise Line, Professional Services, Casting Services and Disney Internships and Programs​
Daily monitoring of forums and Initiating conversation through forums, twitter and postings
Assist with content development for all social media sites including writing of articles for the Disney Internships and Programs Blog​
Responsible for the collection of social photo assets to support social content on all platforms​
Researching and identifying social trends, on-line consumer behavior, and developing social promotional opportunities
Manage and execute all content updates for recruitment web sites as well as managing the upload and remove of assets/testimonials​
Support Recruitment Marketing team with current projects such as collateral development, photo/video shoots, website re-design, and other special projects​
Assisting in writing copy/proofing for marketing/sales materials​
Maintaining presentation boards and sample marketing material notebooks​
Attending internal/external client meetings​
Assist with admin responsibilities as needed (inventory management, invoicing, etc)​
They don't really do this....hmmm

Yankeesfan5

The dragon could have been used for a special outdoor show, such as the fireworks, or if they wanted to build a walk-through like the Dragon's Lair in Disneyland Paris underneath Beast's Castle. Maybe these will be used for Avatar Land, but the dragon really could have been put to use in FLE.

Rasvar

A press event is hardly an ambush. And asking about things that are widely public is hardly investigative. Out in the real world, there is ALWAYS the tug of war between the story the company/person wants you to tell and the story the reporter/editor wants to give the readers. At least some of the time, it does benefit the reader (or viewer).

The problem in this specific case is the people who know won't ask... and the people who would ask, don't know.
The art of interviewing and getting answers that go beyond the standard responses to get an editor/reader would want is really the goal. Do you really think you would get an answer beyond the standard response on something like that at a press event? What you end up with is someone checking names and then blacklisting you from further access. It's a cheap stunt that almost always backfires. You break that little circle of control at a public event and you will find your phone calls are never ever returned again. Dealing with a corporation is not like dealing with government. Anyone who has done any kind of interviews with substantial success knows the importance of building up confidence and trying to get the subject to open up on their own. A great interviewer knows how to make a person open up even when the don't intend to. However, there are very few people who can manage that skill on a regular basis. Yes, a reporter wants to get a story but you are not going to get away with just challenging people in high profile positions at high profile events and not get hit with blowback.

nytimez

The art of interviewing and getting answers that go beyond the standard responses to get an editor/reader would want is really the goal. Do you really think you would get an answer beyond the standard response on something like that at a press event? What you end up with is someone checking names and then blacklisting you from further access. It's a cheap stunt that almost always backfires. You break that little circle of control at a public event and you will find your phone calls are never ever returned again. Dealing with a corporation is not like dealing with government. Anyone who has done any kind of interviews with substantial success knows the importance of building up confidence and trying to get the subject to open up on their own. A great interviewer knows how to make a person open up even when the don't intend to. However, there are very few people who can manage that skill on a regular basis. Yes, a reporter wants to get a story but you are not going to get away with just challenging people in high profile positions at high profile events and not get hit with blowback.

Settle down. I'm not talking about going to a Disney event and shouting down the speaker at a public event. Generally, however, "real" media given access at an event like this has a chance to have some real conversations with key people.

You can have a rational conversation about legitimate criticism without it being a "cheap stunt" or having it backfire - especially if you are a member of the real media with a legit track record of providing fair coverage. More importantly, you have to have an audience - a Disney exec will be more tolerant of questions from an NY Times or USA Today reporter because they really, really, really want to be in those large-circulation publications.

But they won't be nearly as patient with a mommy blogger and her audience of hundreds.

Rasvar

Settle down. I'm not talking about going to a Disney event and shouting down the speaker at a public event. Generally, however, "real" media given access at an event like this has a chance to have some real conversations with key people.

You can have a rational conversation about legitimate criticism without it being a "cheap stunt" or having it backfire - especially if you are a member of the real media with a legit track record of providing fair coverage. More importantly, you have to have an audience - a Disney exec will be more tolerant of questions from an NY Times or USA Today reporter because they really, really, really want to be in those large-circulation publications.

But they won't be nearly as patient with a mommy blogger and her audience of hundreds.

Ok, yes. When you have that opportunity for a sit down that is sometime offered. Yes, having a big name behind you does matter. The big problem is that Disney also recognizes they can control the narrative. Even being respected, if you push too hard in the wrong situation it can backfire hard these days. Corporate executives are coached almost to the point of political campaigns on these events. In that situation, I agree, it doesn't hurt to ask when properly couched.
This is really one of the big problem these days. The problem is that a company like Disney knows it needs to talk to a USAToday and NY Times less and less to get its message out. They would rather talk to the fluffy morning news crews or use other ways of getting the message out. Ask too many pointed questions, and even if you are useful, they will still find ways to put up roadblocks. My former employment at a Fortune 500 company dealing with high level executives, not a whole lot of friendly words are used for a lot of journalist. But they sure as hell rank the ones they trust and the ones they felt fooled by. It is a fine line. I would also expect Disney executives to be more media savvy than my former employer but I'm sure they are just vindictive in the office discussions. You don't get there without some ego.

nytimez

It's not about patience but actually getting an answer that actually says something.

@Rasvar was dead on
I'll let the results speak for themselves. Disney has purchased favorable coverage by (literally) catering to a phony class of media ready to write whatever the company wants it to by offering free trips and meals. This isn't new - but they have taken it to a new level in recent years. And because the phony media wants to keep getting invited to the party, they will beg, roll over and play dead on command.

But, I'll play along. Show me where one of these people have gotten "an answer that actually says something."

Rasvar

I'll let the results speak for themselves. Disney has purchased favorable coverage by (literally) catering to a phony class of media ready to write whatever the company wants it to by offering free trips and meals. This isn't new - but they have taken it to a new level in recent years. And because the phony media wants to keep getting invited to the party, they will beg, roll over and play dead on command.

But, I'll play along. Show me where one of these people have gotten "an answer that actually says something."

I agree with this. That is also why these press events are 100% fluff. They are designed that way. It's the same reason politicians have "Town Square" meetings where they can screen the questioners instead of having an open press conference with the media that is covering them. It is why you have D23. It is why Disney owns so many media outlets. Mike Wallace would have a hell of time getting going these days. People always thought they could use him to get their version out since it was a powerful way to get it out(even though it rarely worked). But no one would try to deal with a Mike Wallace now. Hire a PR firm. Develop a message and get it out. Then depend on those who support you to spread the message. I understand what you are saying about purchasing coverage. Your darn right they are. That just makes it even harder.

It just seems impossible to get anything hard from these events. The real question is, does that change if the big media stops covering these events or does Disney just use its manufactured network?

Trust me, I'm not defending Disney on this. Trying to get through the wall to real info is a royal pain in the tuckus.

As far as the marketing campaign, I still haven't figured out how it was sold. There seemed to be some kind of nitrous oxide flowing with people I know who were involved that this was just a cool thing to do. I never understood the campaign. I somewhat got the impression that the dragon actually preceded the campaign and they were looking for a way to use it. Not really sure on that. Although I think they really screwed up by saying a one-time only event. Seemed like a waste of money if that was really the case. Now if they can get Tinker Bell to move around like that...

WDW1974

Interesting, I thought.

Sounds like a perfect job for one of our little young fanboi trolls ... or perhaps someone who would like to move up to become a full-time cubicle dweller of the CPSMC.

Are there people out there who still want to argue about whether Disney is reading what gets posted here?

WDW1974

The art of interviewing and getting answers that go beyond the standard responses to get an editor/reader would want is really the goal. Do you really think you would get an answer beyond the standard response on something like that at a press event?

That all depends on the questioner, how it is framed and who is answering. ... If someone loses control and shows emotion and/or gives a sharp-tongued or nasty response, I'd argue that is much better than allowing yourself and your organization to be used as a de facto PR arm of WDW Co. ... I have some experience in this. Indeed, in one of my proudest moments, I made a WDW publicist cry after she was very rude and unprofessional to me when I wanted to speak to Joe Rohde alone.

What you end up with is someone checking names and then blacklisting you from further access.

They can blacklist bloggers and even some smalltime REAL journalists. They can't and won't blacklist anyone of significance. I know what I'm talking about here.

It's a cheap stunt that almost always backfires. You break that little circle of control at a public event and you will find your phone calls are never ever returned again. Dealing with a corporation is not like dealing with government.

I see your point and agree somewhat. It is a tightrope, but one that can be walked by REAL reporters. For instance, a VERY obvious question that should have been asked is why Disney had an 11th hour change and replacement of the 'What's New, What's Next' event that was planned.

Disney runs a risk themselves when not responding to news organizations' questions and interview requests, and that is that they may well have no say in a story that might not paint them in the best light.

But no good reporter even cedes control to a subject at ANY event. Look at how people question the President of the USA in a conference. Folks like Tom Staggs or Phil Holmes are supposed to be given white glove treatment?

Anyone who has done any kind of interviews with substantial success knows the importance of building up confidence and trying to get the subject to open up on their own. A great interviewer knows how to make a person open up even when the don't intend to. However, there are very few people who can manage that skill on a regular basis. Yes, a reporter wants to get a story but you are not going to get away with just challenging people in high profile positions at high profile events and not get hit with blowback.

The blowback is fine. If you are respectful, but forceful, you usually earn respect (no matter how grudgingly).
Your point, though, is a fine one and exactly why Disney wants to deai with folks it can control (i.e. social media whores).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom