Disney Grad Nites at Typhoon Lagoon in 2017

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I think it will be every bit the disaster for operations it was before they stopped the event. If so, that means the kids had a good time so I don't truly care as someone who formerly attended. Just pointing out how this is an obvious bad idea as a former cast member.

considering that DL has been holding similar events since the 1960s, I think they should be able to figure it out, even if they have had issues in the past...

Castle Cake Apologist

Right? Teens drink, smoke, and duck??! GOD, SOMEONE PLEASE ALERT THE ELDERS :hilarious: Hide the sinful behaviors because I'm so prim and proper :eek::eek: I just personally don't see a problem with any of this. Its 2016, get the hell over it.

Meh I could see the issues with sex, but pot? Give me a break...

I'm really just not sure what your angle is here, other than to prove how cool and free spirited you are. We get it, you think all of this is super neat.

Nobody has said that they personally have an issue with pot, or people who smoke it. Nobody has said that they personally have an issue with sex, or people who have it. Nobody has said that they personally have an issue with alcohol, or people who drink it.

What we ARE saying, however, is that it's a nightmare for the people who have to work these events and are obligated to break these things up. Not to mention how disrespectful and outright rude a lot of these kids are. Mix in the general sense of invincibility that teenagers have, all the more heightened by the alcohol and drugs, and you have a real issue. There were always LEGITIMATE safety problems at these events. Teenagers literally getting out of ride vehicle and running through attractions. Teenagers trying to swim in Rivers of America and the Castle Moat. Among other things.

Way to completely miss the point, though.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Right? Teens drink, smoke, and duck??! GOD, SOMEONE PLEASE ALERT THE ELDERS :hilarious: Hide the sinful behaviors because I'm so prim and proper :eek::eek: I just personally don't see a problem with any of this. Its 2016, get the hell over it.

Do you forget that the entire idea of Grad Nite functions is to create 'safe harbors' where kids are entertained and encouraged to celebrate without the risks and pressures, and risky behaviors teens might subscome to if partying unsupervised?

The whole concept is based on creating safe ways for kids to celebrate vs having kids DIE and other tragedies celebrating graduation.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
What we ARE saying, however, is that it's a nightmare for the people who have to work these events and are obligated to break these things up. Not to mention how disrespectful and outright rude a lot of these kids are. Mix in the general sense of invincibility that teenagers have, all the more heightened by the alcohol and drugs, and you have a real issue. There were always LEGITIMATE safety problems at these events. Teenagers literally getting out of ride vehicle and running through attractions. Teenagers trying to swim in Rivers of America and the Castle Moat. Among other things.

Does DL not have these issues? And if they do, how do they deal with it?

I find it ridiculous that DL can continue to have these events and deal with the issues that arise while everyone thinks WDW can't. The team put in place should be able to deal with rudeness and the occasional kid doing something dumb.

In my opinion, there are bad apples everywhere...but that shouldn't ruin it for everyone else who behaves themselves.

wdwfan22

considering that DL has been holding similar events since the 1960s, I think they should be able to figure it out, even if they have had issues in the past...

And it's been an operational nightmare at the Disneyland Resort. Disneyland Resort has also reduced the party time 10:00 pm to 2:00 am but does allow them entry into the parks during regular park hours.

wdwfan22

yet...they still make it happen

Walt Disney World doesn't need it though as they have Cheerleading and sporting competitions that supplement the school visits. In my opinion this was the main reason for discontinuing the event. Bringing it back at the water park is an easy cheaper fix for them.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Walt Disney World doesn't need it though as they have Cheerleading and sporting competitions that supplement the school visits. In my opinion this was the main reason for discontinuing the event. Bringing it back at the water park is an easy cheaper fix for them.

and is a nice event for the kids...

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I doubt that was even a factor when looking at bringing the event back. This is the year of upcharge events and this for sure was an easy cash grab.

i never said it was a factor...but that doesn't change the fact that it is a nice event to have for kids graduating...nice for the kids that is.

WeLComeHomE OKW

I will keep this civil. But, as others have mentioned, this is not the point.

This is Walt Disney World, not a night club. It is a family theme park. This forum is not a contest to be cool or an opportunity for people to be cool (We're all impressed that you don't see a problem with any of this :rolleyes:.) This is simply a matter of risks vs rewards. Is it worth it to throw grad nites in a water park with all the inherent risks already found at a normal theme park during grad nites?

A Disney Theme Park is not a place to prove your ability to do whatever you want. It's a place to go and have safe fun with your family and friends and enjoy a safe experience--that does not involve sex and drugs. Even if schools will get banned for bad behavior, why put your employees through that?

I think this is a perfect case of "penny wise, dollar foolish."

Next Big Thing

I'd be more concerned with issues of people drowning when drunk than anything else.
Exactly. As I mentioned earlier, these events (Grad Nites, Night of Joy) are always stressful on CMs. Think of how stressful this will be on the lifeguards? It may be hard to sneak alcohol in, but pregaming was a huge thing on the supervised bus my year. Not to mention how easy it is to sneak pot in. Someone who is drunk or high is a danger to themselves in deep water.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And it's been an operational nightmare at the Disneyland Resort. Disneyland Resort has also reduced the party time 10:00 pm to 2:00 am but does allow them entry into the parks during regular park hours.

Yeah, when talking about DL's version of the events.. things are all going down the crazy route. Like making the event a mixer with the gen public, etc.. Talk about double dipping!

Disone

I think if it goes badly, it will be a one and done. I will admit I raised an eyebrow when I found out about this, but no use fussing about it now. I will hope for the best. Fingers crossed.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom