Disney Grad Nites at Typhoon Lagoon in 2017

Next Big Thing

The accusations here are pretty rediculous.

Kids will have pool parties, disney should be better/safer than about anywhere else.
The assumption that people are anymore safe at Disney is and always has been a myth. And what we are talking about has nothing to do with Safety much.

Also, I don't think you realize how crazy these grad nights get.

Next Big Thing

Emmmmm.....safer to whom? The year I went to Grad Night at the Magic Kingdom, a group of jerk graduates got kicked out of the park for picking Mickey Mouse up and throwing him in the moat of Cinderella's Castle. I think it was even in the newspaper. I think all people are saying here is that it seems a little crazy to put thousands of over-hyper-excited that they just graduated kids in a water park, in the dark, with many of them having probably imbibed in some graduating libations beforehand. Hey, I'm as liberal as they come and I'm the first one to advocate for having a cocktail, etc, but these are kids who are not even fully cooked yet, and setting them loose in a water park on Grad Night seriously seems insane. I remember on my Grad Night, half the bus was getting bombed all the way to Orlando from Miami.
Sounds like you had a similar experience as me. I'm not going to lie and say I didn't have a good time, but it was clearly very stressful on the CMs.

Imagine how stressful this will be on the lifeguards, having kids who pre-gamed on their way in in a giant wave pool.

BuddyThomas

Sounds like you had a similar experience as me. I'm not going to lie and say I didn't have a good time, but it was clearly very stressful on the CMs.

Imagine how stressful this will be on the lifeguards, having kids who pre-gamed on their way in in a giant wave pool.
I totally agree with this. And by the way, as the town drunk of WDW Magic ;) , I can't believe I am advocating for not drinking at an event, but I know how these grad events go, and tossing a bunch of out of control kids in a water park after dark is completely insane.

Next Big Thing

I totally agree with this. And by the way, as the town drunk of WDW Magic ;) , I can't believe I am advocating for not drinking at an event, but I know how these grad events go, and tossing a bunch of out of control kids in a water park after dark is completely insane.
Haha, I feel weird saying this is a bad idea too! I was devastated when HOB ended their club nights last year. It was such a staple of my College Program and now it's just gone.

DManRightHere

Emmmmm.....safer to whom? The year I went to Grad Night at the Magic Kingdom, a group of jerk graduates got kicked out of the park for picking Mickey Mouse up and throwing him in the moat of Cinderella's Castle. I think it was even in the newspaper. I think all people are saying here is that it seems a little crazy to put thousands of over-hyper-excited that they just graduated kids in a water park, in the dark, with many of them having probably imbibed in some graduating libations beforehand. Hey, I'm as liberal as they come and I'm the first one to advocate for having a cocktail, etc, but these are kids who are not even fully cooked yet, and setting them loose in a water park on Grad Night seriously seems insane. I remember on my Grad Night, half the bus was getting bombed all the way to Orlando from Miami.

It is just the few who ruin it for the many. There will always be some sort of trouble at a party, but I would think Disney would be somewhat prepared for it.

The assumption that people are anymore safe at Disney is and always has been a myth. And what we are talking about has nothing to do with Safety much.

Also, I don't think you realize how crazy these grad nights get.

Grads need some place to party, will it be some friends house that the parents went out of town, or Disney? I've been to the Disneyland grad nights, it seemed fine.

DManRightHere

We are talking about high school kids, correct? If so, these kids are going to public places while intoxicated? I would have thought they would be shown the door if that is the case.

Next Big Thing

Grads need some place to party, will it be some friends house that the parents went out of town, or Disney? I've been to the Disneyland grad nights, it seemed fine.
Well, currently that place is Universal and supposedly they want out or at least reduced nights as they lose money on the venture.

And you're kidding yourself if people aren't going to have their own parties separate from this anyway. I'm very progressive on social issues, but to me this just seems like it's asking for trouble.

DManRightHere

Well, currently that place is Universal and supposedly they want out or at least reduced nights as they lose money on the venture.

And you're kidding yourself if people aren't going to have their own parties separate from this anyway. I'm very progressive on social issues, but to me this just seems like it's asking for trouble.

I didn't say grads won't have their own parties, I just think this is a better alternative. Supervised, (supposed to be) no alcohol or drugs. Plenty of perks to draw grads.

Next Big Thing

I didn't say grads won't have their own parties, I just think this is a better alternative. Supervised, (supposed to be) no alcohol or drugs. Plenty of perks to draw grads.
Oh I think a Grad party is something they should definitely do. However, i'm simply saying having thousands of half naked teens there and potentially pervy supervisors is questionable.

Castle Cake Apologist

Lol trust me, there's plenty of alcohol and drugs (and sex and vandalism) at these events. I've worked plenty. They're usually the worst nights of work you could imagine having. I broke up a threesome in the Rose Garden one year. We regularly have to shut down rides like TTA because drunk teens are jumping out of the cars and running along the track setting off the motion pads, and that was all at Night of Joy, a Christian event. The smell of weed is quite prevalent usually. It's an absolute disaster. I can't imagine what removing clothing and adding water is going to do.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

People have died at Disneyland's. Not recently, but there have been several incidents at theirs. There's a reason Disney shut this down at WDW five years ago. Disney has to have a pretty good reason to shut off revenue.
I'm obviously on your side here, but I think one of the main reasons they are picking Typhoon is because it allows them to make even MORE money than if they did it at MK. This allows MK to not be impacted and they make extra money at a park that normally closes at 6pm or so in April.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom