Disney Genie/Genie+ On Their Way to Anaheim

Vegas Disney Fan

To be honest, other than rides that have added G+ in the last few years, I haven't noticed dramatic difference in attraction wait times now vs. the old FP/MP days.
I agree with this, the most popular rides have always had long lines, it’s just frustrating that the less popular rides now have long lines also, there’s no short waits left to break up the feeling you’re always waiting in lines.

In the past if you didn’t have Maxpass you’d wait 30 minutes for California Screamin, then wait 10 minutes for Little Mermaid, then wait 45 minutes for ToT, then wait 10 minutes for Monsters… 2 long lines, 2 short lines, it didn’t feel like you were standing in lines all day. Now you wait 30 minutes for Incredicoaster, then wait 30 minutes for Little Mermaid, then wait 45 minutes for Guardians, then wait 40 minutes for Monsters… it just feels like you‘re always in lines. The breaks changed the entire feeling of the day.

Ryan120420

Having never visited DLR during Max pass... other than price and ILL what are the main differences between it and G+?

MaxPass had a shorter "cool down" window of 90 mins as compared to the current 120 min window. Also with MaxPass you could get another FP the moment your return window opened up on your most current selection, so no having to use your FP in order to get another one. With MaxPass you could re-ride attractions, you were not limited to 1 time per day.

The app that you used to book FP with MaxPass was SOOOOOO much better implemented and integrated into the Disneyland app than the current "tip board". The only improvement that they made to Genie+ vs MaxPass was giving you the ability to adjust your return time without having to cancel a selection.

MaxPass was superior in every way to Genie+.

PiratesMansion

I agree with this, the most popular rides have always had long lines, it’s just frustrating that the less popular rides now have long lines also, there’s no short waits left to break up the feeling you’re always waiting in lines.

In the past if you didn’t have Maxpass you’d wait 30 minutes for California Screamin, then wait 10 minutes for Little Mermaid, then wait 45 minutes for ToT, then wait 10 minutes for Monsters… 2 long lines, 2 short lines, it didn’t feel like you were standing in lines all day. Now you wait 30 minutes for Incredicoaster, then wait 30 minutes for Little Mermaid, then wait 45 minutes for Guardians, then wait 40 minutes for Monsters… it just feels like you‘re always in lines. The breaks changed the entire feeling of the day.
I think the biggest issue, then, is that more attractions have been added over the years. Especially in DCA, there's basically nothing of value that's NOT on G+ now.

The attractions that have had FP/MP/G+ for years haven't had much of a change in wait times even as Disney moved from one system to another.

mickEblu

I think the biggest issue, then, is that more attractions have been added over the years. Especially in DCA, there's basically nothing of value that's NOT on G+ now.

The attractions that have had FP/MP/G+ for years haven't had much of a change in wait times even as Disney moved from one system to another.

This is why it's mind boggling when I hear rumors of Avatar going to Disneyland. Also, are they ever going to break ground on that Avengers ride?

CalebS

This is why it's mind boggling when I hear rumors of Avatar going to Disneyland. Also, are they ever going to break ground on that Avengers ride?
They are thinking, dreaming, imagining, contemplating, and considering when what how and where to break ground. Just be patient, within a decade you’ll have it!

mickEblu

They are thinking, dreaming, imagining, contemplating, and considering when what how and where to break ground. Just be patient, within a decade you’ll have it!

Haha. Im good. Ive already come to the realization that nothing added will be better than what we already have. Id love to see a new land that compares to anything on the west side of Disneyland proper. I've also been through enough Galaxies Edges, Avengers Campuses and MMRR's to know I should temper my expectations.

mickEblu

Man, imagine being a Disneyland/ Disney Parks fan in the 60s or 80s/ 90s and they re just popping out POTC's, HM's, Splash Mountains, Star Tours (pretty incredible back then) and Indy's like its nothing.

SuddenStorm

Man, imagine being a Disneyland/ Disney Parks fan in the 60s or 80s/ 90s and they re just popping out POTC's, HM's, Splash Mountains, Star Tours (pretty incredible back then) and Indy's like its nothing.

Just about every change made to the park up until '95 was an improvement than what came before. It wasn't until Tomorrowland '98 that the cracks started to appear, and we got a few decades of mediocrity.

mickEblu

Just about every change made to the park up until '95 was an improvement than what came before. It wasn't until Tomorrowland '98 that the cracks started to appear, and we got a few decades of mediocrity.

Speak for yourself. I really miss Holiday Hill and the Wizard of Bras.

CaptinEO

MaxPass was available on anything that had FP, here is a list (add Pirates on occasion) -

Disneyland

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
Fantasmic!
Haunted Mansion
Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye
It's a Small World
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Star Tours: The Adventures Continue

Disney California Adventure

Incredicoaster
Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT!
Goofy's Sky School
Grizzly River Run
Soarin' Around the World
Toy Story Midway Mania!
Radiator Springs Racers
World of Color

Its honestly not all that different than what is there for Genie+ today.
So the later additions to this list are:
Matterhorn Bobsleds
It's a Small World

At one point Autopia and Pirates had fastpass as well a long time ago (early 2000s I think).

In the fastpass days when a ride broke down they'd just tell you to come back to that same ride later in the day and they'd honor the fastpass. They did have those multi fastpasses but they were almost never given out ( I got those once when a waiter accidentally spilled a pitcher of water on us and our food at the Plaza Inn).

The problem is that starting with Maxpass and Genie, since they are paid services Disney comps people multiple experience passes if a ride breaks.

The last two times I went to Disneyland (Jan and Feb this year) I had two queues I was waiting in line for come to a halt at one point and double due to other breakdowns in the park. Web Slingers was a 40 minute queue and ended up taking an hour and a half. Mickie and Minnie was 50 minutes and it ended up taking 2 hours.

This is inexcusable and unacceptable. They need to get their maintenance in order or distribute less Genie+ passes per day to account for this.

PiratesMansion

I'd be very surprised if Avatar goes into DL proper as it exists today. I think it's far more likely that it goes into DCA or the DLForward expansion.
So the later additions to this list are:
Matterhorn Bobsleds
It's a Small World

At one point Autopia and Pirates had fastpass as well a long time ago (early 2000s I think).
Autopia had FP when I started visiting around 2013, then at some point they got rid of it. I'm not sure when it returned (maybe around the time they added it to MI?). Additionally, TSMM, BLAB, regular Mansion, and Fantasmic didn't have FP when I started visiting.
In the fastpass days when a ride broke down they'd just tell you to come back to that same ride later in the day and they'd honor the fastpass. They did have those multi fastpasses but they were almost never given out ( I got those once when a waiter accidentally spilled a pitcher of water on us and our food at the Plaza Inn).

The problem is that starting with Maxpass and Genie, since they are paid services Disney comps people multiple experience passes if a ride breaks.

The last two times I went to Disneyland (Jan and Feb this year) I had two queues I was waiting in line for come to a halt at one point and double due to other breakdowns in the park. Web Slingers was a 40 minute queue and ended up taking an hour and a half. Mickie and Minnie was 50 minutes and it ended up taking 2 hours.

This is inexcusable and unacceptable. They need to get their maintenance in order or distribute less Genie+ passes per day to account for this.
What they really need to do is dramatically hike the price of G+, but I digress.

I'm not sure that the MEP effect is that different from what existed before. Sure, before you were limited to just one attraction, but that didn't necessarily mean people were in the clear in the past or weren't inconvenienced by a deluge of FPers in the past. I remember visiting Magic Kingdom in 2018 when Big Thunder didn't open until about two hours after the rest of the park because of maintenance issues. The wait ended up taking forever because FP+ people who had booked during the time the ride was closed were constantly streaming in, let alone those who actually had return times for that hour. The fact that those people could only use their FP+ on Big Thunder did nothing to make that wait any better for people in the standby line. I suppose it could be argued that it kept the chaos to that line and only that line, but I think it's difficult to prove how many people are using their MEP that was originally booked for something else are now using it for something else.

It is also balanced to a point. You can't generally switch yours to Indy unless your breakdown happened on Space Mountain.

What I don't understand is the way that multiple experience passes can be used at attractions that don't normally accept G+ at all. So I can't reserve PPF directly, but if I reserve for something else that breaks down, suddenly I can use it to enter the PPF queue as if I was using DAS?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom