Disney Genie/Genie+ On Their Way to Anaheim

DCBaker

Premium Member
Something to keep an eye on:

Found in the Disneyland app, a new pre-bookable Lightning Lane Premier Pass is coming to the Disneyland Resort! Details are slim currently, but it looks like you'll be able to book Lightning Lanes similar to WDW with an added cost.

Here's a look at an image that was briefly added to the Disneyland app:

Purduevian

Similar name to the DLP system https://www.disneylandparis.com/en-usd/attractions/disney-premier-access/

TLDR: Premier Access 1 is basically like LLSP except on a bunch of attractions. I think you can book a new one once you use one (each one is a separate cost)

Premier Access ultimate is basically like Universal express pass single use. Use it at all attractions once at any time.

My guess is they are going to sell the Premier access ultimate style at DLR (walk up any time for all LLs attractions, but only once). I'm thinking price will be ~125% the single day ticket for that day.

Vegas Disney Fan

It’ll be curious to see how all these changes affect attendance next year, I have a couple dozen friends who have DL keys and of the half dozen I’ve talked to recently only 3 are planning on renewing next year, and 2 of those are Club 33 members who aren’t affected by any of these changes. It could simply be frustration talking but if half their APs don’t renew I suspect we’ll see massive reversals on the DAS changes, Genie changes, and the recent focus solely on up charging everything.

We have zero intention of renewing our passes next year and are already planning Yellowstone trips, Utah trips, Princess cruises, etc to replace what would normally be Disney trips. With all the changes over the last couple years we just don’t find DL worth it anymore.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
My favorite comment from that thread:

1724179130672.png

mickEblu

So another product that they don’t have the infrastructure to accommodate that will slow down standby lines even more? Well, at least we know why they cracked down on DAS. So we know this can’t be the “Ultimate” version of this product as these guests would be sharing the same queue as LL multi pass guests unless it just being rebranded? Which be odd so soon since it was just rebranded last month. So if this happens they re bringing the a la carte option for all the Genie + rides like Knotts Berry farm has recently done with their popular attractions. Then I guess the current Single use LL’s like ROTR and RSR would move over to Premier access at the highest price points.

Last edited:

C33Mom

I would love to see both DLR and WDW transition to either the DLP system or the TDR system— both of them give more flexibility for buying the rides you want when you want and let you access the LL for your favorite rides more than once.

PiratesMansion

Something to keep an eye on:

Found in the Disneyland app, a new pre-bookable Lightning Lane Premier Pass is coming to the Disneyland Resort! Details are slim currently, but it looks like you'll be able to book Lightning Lanes similar to WDW with an added cost.

Here's a look at an image that was briefly added to the Disneyland app:

Oh joy, the thing that makes WDW hell is going to spread west.

Count me out of DLR sooner than I expected if that's the case.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

It’s interesting that Disney is committed to endlessly tinkering with its profoundly unpopular, misery-inducing line-cutting services, in spite of the avalanche of bad press. I just got around to reading last week’s NYT piece “Is a Disney Theme Park Vacation Still Worth the Price?” — if Disney execs were rational and could see the big picture, the comments section would deeply worry them. But of course, they are not and cannot.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

It’s interesting that Disney is committed to endlessly tinkering with its profoundly unpopular, misery-inducing line-cutting services, in spite of the avalanche of bad press. I just got around to reading last week’s NYT piece “Is a Disney Theme Park Vacation Still Worth the Price?” — if Disney execs were rational and could see the big picture, the comments section would deeply worry them. But of course, they are not and cannot.
They’re addicted to the “per guest per capita spending metric” now presumably because KPIs (and hence executives down to Director level staff bonuses) are tied to it.

It’s also seen as a silver lining when attendance dips to show per guest per capita spending going up even if one cannibalizes the other long term.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They’re addicted to the “per guest per capita spending metric” now presumably because KPIs (and hence executives down to Director level staff bonuses) are tied to it.

It’s also seen as a silver lining when attendance dips to show per guest per capita spending going up even if one cannibalizes the other long term.
Its not just management, its also Wall St and how they evaluate whether the Parks are healthy or not. Its an industry wide metric, how much are the guests spending once inside the park, if guests aren't spending it doesn't matter how many you pack into the parks. Its why attendance numbers aren't a metric widely used anymore, except for bragging rights....

The only way to remove it is to remove the profit motive of the Parks, won't happen. They will always try to find ways to squeeze more money out of a guest. Its why if you notice all operators copy what the others are doing.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Its not just management, its also Wall St and how they evaluate whether the Parks are healthy or not. Its an industry wide metric, how much are the guests spending once inside the park, if guests aren't spending it doesn't matter how many you pack into the parks. Its why attendance numbers aren't a metric widely used anymore, except for bragging rights....

The only way to remove it is to remove the profit motive of the Parks, won't happen. They will always try to find ways to squeeze more money out of a guest. Its why if you notice all operators copy what the others are doing.
Agree because the expectations have been set for the Street going forward. But eventually this metric is going to cannibalize attendance when the parks hit peak attendance and there is a natural “death spiral” from a pricing and profitability standpoint where certain incomes feel priced out by de facto based on the discovery of the “hidden cost” associated with having optimal experience.

This is the same argument we’re having in the WDW side on the RoA where people are convinced it’s political when in fact it’s purely financial because “free attractions” are net drags on the per capita metric.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Agree because the expectations have been set for the Street going forward. But eventually this metric is going to cannibalize attendance when the parks hit peak attendance and there is a natural “death spiral” from a pricing and profitability standpoint where certain incomes feel priced out by de facto based on the discovery of the “hidden cost” associated with having optimal experience.

This is the same argument we’re having in the WDW side on the RoA where people are convinced it’s political when in fact it’s purely financial because “free attractions” are net drags on the per capita metric.
Yes but this was always baked into the equation as attendance was never infinite for a variety of reason. So it was always baked in that there will be natural cannibalization. Which means that as some will be priced out others pick up the spending elsewhere. This is a many decades old conversation that is continued today, and will continue long into the future.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

e
Yes but this was always baked into the equation as attendance was never infinite for a variety of reason. So it was always baked in that there will be natural cannibalization. Which means that as some will be priced out others pick up the spending elsewhere. This is a many decades old conversation that is continued today, and will continue long into the future.
Agree, I just feel like the risk is multiplied when you compound the “hidden cost” equation of additional new forms of monetization on top of the regular price increases folks have come to expect. But time will tell.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Agree, I just feel like the risk is multiplied when you compound the “hidden cost” equation of additional new forms of monetization on top of the regular price increases folks have come to expect. But time will tell.
Personally I don't consider them "hidden costs" though. As its not like Disney is hiding they are charging for such services, its outlined right in plain view. Its just people aren't diligent enough to look and complain when they realize they'll be charged.

Also people for years complained about the Parks being crowded. Ok, so Disney did something about it, they raised the ticket prices which lowered crowds. In order to offset the loss of revenue due to less guests in the Parks they increased prices on other goods and services around the Parks to maintain profit. Its simple economics. The problem is many aren't taught proper economics anymore, or don't think it applies to them. So if you want lower prices then you can't expect a less crowded Park with low wait times. And if you want a less crowded Park then you can't expect that prices for goods and services to remain low or free. Disney will always find a way to maintain profits, as any good business should do.

mlayton144

Personally I don't consider them "hidden costs" though. As its not like Disney is hiding they are charging for such services, its outlined right in plain view. Its just people aren't diligent enough to look and complain when they realize they'll be charged.

Also people for years complained about the Parks being crowded. Ok, so Disney did something about it, they raised the ticket prices which lowered crowds. In order to offset the loss of revenue due to less guests in the Parks they increased prices on other goods and services around the Parks to maintain profit. It’s simple economics. The problem is many aren't taught proper economics anymore, or don't think it applies to them. So if you want lower prices then you can't expect a less crowded Park with low wait times. And if you want a less crowded Park then you can't expect that prices for goods and services to remain low or free. Disney will always find a way to maintain profits, as any good business should do.
If I could like this twice I would , been at WDW the last week and the lower crowds are making me feel like I’m totally getting my moneys worth both in the parks and my resort , as I’m sure most others here in the bubble are feeling as well. Lots of planning to get things right but that’s the world

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom