Disney Genie, Genie+, and Lightning Lane Frequently Asked Questions for Walt Disney World

DisneyJoe

Have a trip starting next week. I read something about the earliest genie+ can be purchased is midnight the day of each park visit. So there’s no way to just add it now for the week? Seems weird.
- if you have a vacation package with a ticket in it, you can add it to the ticket in the package in advance, but it must be for the length of the ticket
- if you just have a ticket (except for an AP or military discount ticket (last I checked for the military ticket)), you should be able to add Genie+ to the ticket for the length of the ticket
- if you have an annual pass, or if you only wish to purchase for certain days of your trip, you can only purchase Genie+ the day of.

lordsigma

This week I found you can only add to a multi-day ticket BEFORE it's been used. Otherwise you have to purchase day of. It came out Tuesday of this week but the first day we went was Monday before it was available. I didn't see where it wouldn't let you use it for the same attraction a second time - though I also didn't try. Another tip: if you aren't staying on site you need to do the individual purchase for RotR at the split second it turns 9 in order to get that one.

doctornick

As long as you don't have annual passes, you might be able to modify the tickets to include Genie+. To do this, you have to add Genie+ for all days on your ticket.

If you have annual passes, the only option is to purchase Genie+ the morning of.

Hypothetically, if you have an AP but are staying in a resort, could you add Genie+ for a length of stay? Sounds like no, but I have not seen the specific question.

nickys

Premium Member
Hypothetically, if you have an AP but are staying in a resort, could you add Genie+ for a length of stay? Sounds like no, but I have not seen the specific question.
I believe the answer is no, there is no option to do so. You have to add for the length of your ticket, not just your resort stay, the AP lasts a year…..

Texas84

I believe the answer is no, there is no option to do so. You have to add for the length of your ticket, not just your resort stay, the AP lasts a year…..
I'm a Passholder with a resort reservation. I can't even add it to the length of stay.

Chi84

Premium Member
With a resort stay APs should have the same benefits as people with non-AP tickets. Ridiculous you can't add it to the length of stay with a resort booked.
I think that will probably change. The system has only been in effect for a couple of weeks now. I used it for a week and wouldn't buy it again for length of stay because we sometimes decided last minute to do a water park day and didn't need it. Also, there was one day when the ILLs were probably enough without Genie+. It all depends on how you like to vacation. If you know you're going to be in the parks all day, every day then adding Genie+ for length of stay probably makes sense.

The only real differences were that I had to get up early every morning to do something I used to do from home on a one and done basis in order to ensure that we would be able to get rides like Rise, Remy and SDD. We like to split up our days by coming back to the hotel for some pool time, and it was harder to fit that in around ride times. We may have done a few more rides, but when Disney sent the survey with the "positive impact," "no impact," and "negative impact," I choose the negative one. We still had a great time, but I felt like it was more in spite of the new system rather than because of it.

Namaari

Not sure if this question is posted somewhere else, but do Individual Attraction Selections count toward the 2-hr cooldown? e.g. I get up at 7am and want to reserve spots for Smuggler's Run and Rise of the Resistance. Am I able to make both reservations at that time, or am I limited by the cooldown rule?

nickys

Premium Member
Not sure if this question is posted somewhere else, but do Individual Attraction Selections count toward the 2-hr cooldown? e.g. I get up at 7am and want to reserve spots for Smuggler's Run and Rise of the Resistance. Am I able to make both reservations at that time, or am I limited by the cooldown rule?
They can overlap. Completely independent of each other.

Weather_Lady

Is the "inventory" of Genie+ slots remotely sufficient? It seems like they "run out" before the day is half over.

I've been checking this weekend and today, and it looks like every day by 1-2pm at HS, the only "rides" with any Genie+ slots left are Alien Swirling Saucers and Star Tours. (Genie+ time slots for the "shows" like Beauty and the Beast or Muppets, etc. seem to be plentiful, but you don't need Genie+ for those anyway.) If I'd paid $15/pp/pd for Genie+ access to a handful of attractions - a handful that already left out the two most popular attractions in every park - and all the "good ones" were gone by lunchtime every day, I'd be totally ticked!

I know it's a holiday week, but theoretically, Disney should be running rides with increased capacity -- and increased Genie+ slots -- to compensate. Is this how it typically goes now though, at least at HS?

Last edited:

arich35

How exactly does making a selection right at 7 AM work for Genie+? A little worried about get SDD right at 7 and want to make sure I do it the best way possible

Weather_Lady

When something requires six explainer videos in the eyes of the provider, surely that suggests the system is unduly complicated? :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Yep. We have no trips planned, but if and when my family wants to come back, if we can't find a time of year with crowds low enough that Genie+/ILLs aren't "needed" to avoid long waits, we just won't go.

The unnecessarily complex and time-consuming (not to mention uncertain, since investing in it does not ensure you'll get any of the rides you want) Genie+ scheme, added to all the other hoops we have to jump through and systems and touring obstacles we have to research ahead of time and navigate effectively or suffer the consequences (GT, ADRs, EMH/EEH, park reservations, hopping restrictions) has bumped the level of expense, stress and complication above tolerable levels for us -- and I was one of those who used to take immense pleasure in churning out spreadsheets and studying trends just a few short years ago, in the days of FP+.

To those with the energy and patience to deal with it though, I applaud you - and continue to follow your comments on the subject with interest!

Last edited:

G00fyDad

We are going in 66 days and will experience this debacle for the first time. I am confident that I know how to use it but it may turn out to be a mess. Just because I can fly an airplane simulator doesn't mean I can take one up for real. ;) After using it one day actually at Disney I will be either:

"Well, that was easier than I thought."
shock wtf GIF by Sky

or

"&*^$%#@!!!!! This is the most complicated and difficult to use contraption ever invented!!!!
Angry Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar

Disstevefan1

We are going in 66 days and will experience this debacle for the first time. I am confident that I know how to use it but it may turn out to be a mess. Just because I can fly an airplane simulator doesn't mean I can take one up for real. ;) After using it one day actually at Disney I will be either:

shock *** GIF by Sky

or

"&*^$%#@!!!!! This is the most complicated and difficult to use contraption ever invented!!!!
Looking forward to hearing your experiences.
In the old days, Sept. and Oct. was our preferred time to visit WDW.
Middle of October (I think is still considered off peak), so hopefully Genie+ will work for you because your overall experience at WDW depends on the crowd levels.

Weather_Lady

shock *** GIF by Sky

or

I look forward to your thoughts on it!

Is it your plan to buy it every day, for every park? Or will you be deciding as you go, depending on itinerary/weather/crowds?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom