Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Hey @lentesta there's a bug on custom Touring Plans where the software is trying to get me to redeem LLs that I don't actually have.

I told it I have LLs for Tower at 1pm, Mania at 5:30, and Slinky at 6:30.

The software is showing those three correctly, but it's also trying to get me to redeem RnRC at 9:30 and Alien at 12:30.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure Multi-Pass LL can overlap with itself. It won't let you pre-schedule it that way, but same-day it seems to let people modify to overlapping slots.
This seems to be true. I’ve seen some reports of people getting an overlap of 15 or 20 mins in pre-booking but no more than that, but day of that restriction seems to be lifted. It also applies to ADRs. If you have an ADR they won’t “suggest” a time that overlaps it. The opposite is not true. If you have a LL reservation you will not be stopped from booking an ADR for the same time. Weird quirks of the system.

RSoxNo1

Every scheme since paper FastPasses has been terrible.
MaxPass and the fully Digitized Disneyland system have been ideal.

Taking the price point out of the equation, Disneyland currently has the best version of a line skipping program. Disney World currently has the worst version of a line skipping program.

The current version at Disney World is going to cost them money from my family. We had planned on two trips in 2025, that is almost certainly being reduced to 1, possibly 0.

Last edited:

Purduevian

Taking the price point of the equation, Disneyland currently has the best version of a line skipping program. Disney World currently has the worst version of a line skipping program.

The current version at Disney World is going to cost them money from my family. We had planned on two trips in 2025, that is almost certainly being reduced to 1, possibly 0.
Disneyland is currently just on a re-branded G+ right now aren't they?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Taking the price point of the equation, Disneyland currently has the best version of a line skipping program. Disney World currently has the worst version of a line skipping program.

Good point, I was only focused on WDW. MaxPass seemed to be the best combination of the original FP and the digitization of the system.

RSoxNo1

Alright 11:15am time to "use" Big Thunder and rebook:

Currently "Booked" (5 refreshes allowed):
  • 12:00pm HM
  • 3:00pm Tiana
  • 4:50pm Space Mountain
LL "used" with standby time at the time it was "used:
  • Pooh (9:25am) 25 minutes
  • Big Thunder (11:15am) 40 minutes
Total posted standby time: 65 minutes
This entire charade should be unnecessary. The idea of "same day drops" and scheduling was a significant infrastructure expense that probably wasn't justified. The average guest isn't going to know about these things and again it's adding a layer of complexity.

My preference would be to revert to Disneyland rules and cut the # of attractions that have it. The two hour rule is back in place and you can book LLs as soon as you enter the park for the day.

Alternatively, if they insist on advanced bookings then it can only be one attraction per day. They don't have the attraction lineup to justify any more than that. If they wanted to add back all of the ILLs into the inventory, that would help but it still wouldn't be enough to justify 3.

There are over 20 attractions that absolutely DO NOT need daily lightning lane access. They only exist as lightning lane attractions to deceive guests by creating false value.

Here's my proposal for an advanced booking LL service:
  • Remove all virtual queues except for attractions open less than 6 months
  • No more than one Lightning Lane Single Pass available per park. I'd prefer none, or at least a good faith gesture of new attractions would only have it for a year before rolling into the Multi Pass system.
  • Remove several unnecessary attractions from Daily Lightning Lane (ex. TeaCups, Flying Carpets, Figment, Shows)
  • Shift several other attractions from Daily Lightning Lane to Seasonal Lightning Lane (ex. it's a small world, Little Mermaid)
  • Resort Guests can book one attraction per day in advance (7 Day + Length of Stay is probably fine)
  • Non-Resort Guests can book one attraction per day in advance (3 Day + Length of Stay is probably fine)
  • AP Holders that pay for Genie+ can also get "Length of Stay" benefits if they pre-pay for days, even as non-resort guest
  • Once in the park, you get the ability to book an additional LL, and both the pre-booked and day of LL become rolling

ConfettiCupcake

I know this is has been said multiple times but I think it’s still relevant to this current conversation, what would be the logic from their perspective in Disney reverting to a system that costs the exact same as the previous one, but instead takes on more attributes of an older system, making it a lesser system? To me that makes absolutely no sense. The various better options that have been proposed here are certainly not unique or groundbreaking in the sense that Disney couldn’t or wouldn’t have come up with them on their own and possibly considered them or aspects from them. That they went to the prebooked 3 over all other options tells me they have reason to believe it was in fact the better system overall for the groups they are targeting as consumers of LLMP and LLSP. Like many have pointed out, the obvious shift to a prebooked system from Genie+ would have been simply allow that first attractions to be booked ahead of time but otherwise nothing changes. They instead completely upended the whole thing and went with not only 3 but a scheduled 3. I think the choose your own times aspect is likely also something they found was an important aspect to keeping people happy aka spending.

I think it’s even further supported that at WDW the system is the way it is by design and not by incompetence by the way DLR and WDW have distinctly different systems, with DLR being much friendlier to short visits and unplanned/flexible guests. I think this reflects the difference in the make up of guests on the two coasts and how people visit the two resorts.

Disliking this new system is (obviously) a valid take, as is discussing how it could be different and better in one persons opinion. I just don’t think they fell into the version they have at WDW by accident, I think they have reason to believe the 3 attractions in advance on one’s own schedule - despite how some seasoned guests may feel about the quality of the 3 - is key when it comes to encouraging advance purchases and even on-site resort bookings.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know this is has been said multiple times but I think it’s still relevant to this current conversation, what would be the logic from their perspective in Disney reverting to a system that costs the exact same as the previous one, but instead takes on more attributes of an older system, making it a lesser system? To me that makes absolutely no sense. The various better options that have been proposed here are certainly not unique or groundbreaking in the sense that Disney couldn’t or wouldn’t have come up with them on their own and possibly considered them or aspects from them. That they went to the prebooked 3 over all other options tells me they have reason to believe it was in fact the better system overall for the groups they are targeting as consumers of LLMP and LLSP. Like many have pointed out, the obvious shift to a prebooked system from Genie+ would have been simply allow that first attractions to be booked ahead of time but otherwise nothing changes. They instead completely upended the whole thing and went with not only 3 but a scheduled 3. I think the choose your own times aspect is likely also something they found was an important aspect to keeping people happy aka spending.

I think it’s even further supported that at WDW the system is the way it is by design and not by incompetence by the way DLR and WDW have distinctly different systems, with DLR being much friendlier to short visits and unplanned/flexible guests. I think this reflects the difference in the make up of guests on the two coasts and how people visit the two resorts.

Disliking this new system is (obviously) a valid take, as is discussing how it could be different and better in one persons opinion. I just don’t think they fell into the version they have at WDW by accident, I think they have reason to believe the 3 attractions in advance on one’s own schedule - despite how some seasoned guests may feel about the quality of the 3 - is key when it comes to encouraging advance purchases and even on-site resort bookings.
Agreed. The bottom line is Disney feels this system will sell more at WDW than Genie+ did. That’s the goal. DLR is a different animal and the pre-planning aspect would not be as popular there. I don’t think Disney is just allowing the pre-planning to make guests happy, I think they are also banking on more people buying and buying for more days because of it. With buying “day of“ people are more likely to decide on the day buy or don’t buy. I think the pre-booking is just as much about locking in sales as it is satisfying guests who don’t want to wake up at 7am on vacation to buy.

TheMaxRebo

While I would have made it just 1 preselection and no tiers, anecdotally I know quite a few people that love that it is 3 preselections. Gives them a framework for their day they can plan around and being able to schedule the times allows for planning midday breaks easier. Just reduces stress for them and their kids to hav more of the day structured

No system is going to make everyone happy but I am sure Disney had feedback that this is what more of their target guests want

lentesta

Premium Member
Hey @lentesta there's a bug on custom Touring Plans where the software is trying to get me to redeem LLs that I don't actually have.

I told it I have LLs for Tower at 1pm, Mania at 5:30, and Slinky at 6:30.

The software is showing those three correctly, but it's also trying to get me to redeem RnRC at 9:30 and Alien at 12:30.
Oh. Can you send me that url, please? We’re making changes to the software this week, including now. Thanks!

Jrb1979

While I would have made it just 1 preselection and no tiers, anecdotally I know quite a few people that love that it is 3 preselections. Gives them a framework for their day they can plan around and being able to schedule the times allows for planning midday breaks easier. Just reduces stress for them and their kids to hav more of the day structured

No system is going to make everyone happy but I am sure Disney had feedback that this is what more of their target guests want
I agree with you all are saying. I'm still mind blown how the majority of guests want structure and a set schedule while on vacation.

It's the main reason why my family opts of Universal over Disney. The ease of planning and no set schedule required.

rd805

Disney knows this will cause people to pay for the program at the 7day point, rather than riding it out the morning of and seeing if they have any money left in their wallet's. Disney will make $$ off of this change, and they know it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree with you all are saying. I'm still mind blown how the majority of guests want structure and a set schedule while on vacation.

It's the main reason why my family opts of Universal over Disney. The ease of planning and no set schedule required.
It’s 3 ride reservations with 1 hour blocks over the course of a whole day. The vast majority of your day is still spent doing whatever you want without a schedule. I like Universal too and especially with Express Pass it’s really nice, but even then I still have some high level plan ahead of time of what I plan to do.

ConfettiCupcake

Universal truly has no schedule and I think that’s probably the optimal scenario most people would pick if it was actually realistic at Disney.

I think the thing is we’re comparing the scheduled 3 to the whatever-it-shoots-at-you Genie+ in this context. So families are still tied to a schedule and plan of sorts with that system, it just was not one of their choosing.

Purduevian

Agreed. The bottom line is Disney feels this system will sell more at WDW than Genie+ did. That’s the goal. DLR is a different animal and the pre-planning aspect would not be as popular there. I don’t think Disney is just allowing the pre-planning to make guests happy, I think they are also banking on more people buying and buying for more days because of it. With buying “day of“ people are more likely to decide on the day buy or don’t buy. I think the pre-booking is just as much about locking in sales as it is satisfying guests who don’t want to wake up at 7am on vacation to buy.
Might not just be that this will sell more/more expensively than G+. I think they are also hoping to increase TS/Resort sales with this change.

doctornick

Agreed. The bottom line is Disney feels this system will sell more at WDW than Genie+ did. That’s the goal.

Well, I think that's certainly a big part, but I think there is more than that in terms of goals:

1. Sell more
2. Encourage on site resort stays (trying to shift people from staying off site to on site)
3. Improving satisfaction (reducing complains at guest services and demands for refunds).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom