Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

bwr827

We live in what I call the "entitlement generation". This type of entitled expectation is common place these days. Unfortunately businesses need to plan accordingly.
Disney has a longstanding reputation for gold standard service and experience. (Don’t reply that it’s eroding - we know already.)

Good service and experience often means “that was easy” vs “how do I use this thing I paid for?”

Rewarding power users and keeping barriers in place for uninformed guests is not in Disney’s interests.

Splash4eva

Disney has a longstanding reputation for gold standard service and experience. (Don’t reply that it’s eroding - we know already.)

Good service and experience often means “that was easy” vs “how do I use this thing I paid for?”

Rewarding power users and keeping barriers in place for uninformed guests is not in Disney’s interests.
You really believe this is easier & guests are any more informed now?

bwr827

This whole debacle of Genie, Genie+, and Lightening lane has certainly left a bad taste in my mouth. In light of Disney raising prices on everything especially AP and park admissions to levels higher than most families can afford shows their unbridled greed. I won't be going back with the current level of pricing!! Did I mention I'm also a DVC Owner. We frequently visited the parks and spent alot of money at Disney. I know the loss of my contributions won't break Disney but I'll bet I'm not the only one who feels the same way. Disney smarten up!!!! You are responsible for the inevitable demise of your organization. Walt would be rolling over in his grave to see what you've done to his company.

I will not be returning to WDW!!!!
Great - one less family to stand behind in line. :p

Chip Chipperson

I just dont understand the logic of “spreading” the wealth because people were lazy and did zero research on what they need to do… i can see not buying it but you pay all this extra money for a product dont know how to use it then complain and demand a refund?!? Are we serious here. Im sorry you go away somewhere you should have some sort of idea in how something works. Yes people like us will have an “advantage” but is that really a bad thing? As much as the system stinks it was not rocket science either yes it was annoying at times but again sadly this is Disney now.. so we being back pre books which supposedly crippled system and now we expect different results when we in theory probably have less capacity on the rides due to more down time and running then less efficiently
One one hand, people who hated FP+ complained about the work involved in pre-planning. On the other, they complain that people less successful than them with G+ just didn't do enough research and planning and are now upset about having to pre-plan again. The thing is, sometimes people had less success with G+ BECAUSE they pre-planned. '"That time doesn't work because we have a dinner reservation."

If ride downtime and capacity is an issue for LLMP then it was also an issue with G+. They didn't suddenly flip a switch on 7/24 to make rides break down more than they did on 7/23. Unless Disney has reduced LL slots then the only change is  when you pick your rides - and reducing the available LL slots would only work if they reduced the cap on LLMP sales, too, which wouldn't make much sense but would still give users who actually bought it the same odds of getting a LL as before.

I just dont understand the logic of “spreading” the wealth because people were lazy and did zero research on what they need to do…
I find this framing kind of insulting. I did research and I'm not a lazy person. But I had really frustrating G+ experiences on trips in 2022 and 2023 because these systems required practice. I was a 7:02 booker who didn't do much refreshing because I didn't realize how much things could shift. This meant our return times weren't great and we quickly got "behind." And I knew the parks and systems better than any of the eight other people in my party.

I don't think this makes me any less deserving of a special vacation with my family than you are.

ConfettiCupcake

I find this framing kind of insulting. I did research and I'm not a lazy person. But I had really frustrating G+ experiences on trips in 2022 and 2023 because these systems required practice. I was a 7:02 booker who didn't do much refreshing because I didn't realize how much things could shift. This meant our return times weren't great and we quickly got "behind." And I knew the parks and systems better than any of the eight other people in my party.

I don't think this makes me any less deserving of a special vacation with my family than you are.

I think there has been a lot of revisionist history in here when it comes to just how effortless and easy it was to get a great day with Genie. Genie+ was hardly a perfect system and favoured a certain type of guest and a certain touring style as much as any other system they’ve had did.

Chip Chipperson

Or businesses can stand up once again and simply run their business the way they want to…
You mean like when Disney ran their theme parks the way they want to and got rid of DME and started charging for a formerly-free line-skip service all while raising prices higher and higher? Remind me again what direction their attendance went? They should probably listen to their customers more, because businesses that take the stance of "We don't care what our customers want!" often regret that attitude.

Splash4eva

Practice? Im far from a tech wiz and approaching 50 and pretty much had great success from day 1 when it came to Genie +. Especially looking at drop times etc which were basically 90% accurate if not higher on every one of my trips…

You say 702 that can be a world of difference as been noted on many sites and threads… so yea that 2 minutes can cost you or anyone

Splash4eva

You mean like when Disney ran their theme parks the way they want to and got rid of DME and started charging for a formerly-free line-skip service all while raising prices higher and higher? Remind me again what direction their attendance went? They should probably listen to their customers more, because businesses that take the stance of "We don't care what our customers want!" often regret that attitude.
I was directly referring to this line skipping situation whatever you wanna call it… listen i really have no issue them charging if the product is good (ive had great success) and if they used that money accordingly to improve the parks etc but as we have seen its not happening

Jrb1979

I think there has been a lot of revisionist history in here when it comes to just how effortless and easy it was to get a great day with Genie. Genie+ was hardly a perfect system and favoured a certain type of guest and a certain touring style as much as any other system they’ve had did.
It wasn't a perfect system but neither is this new one. I still believe they needed to make it a better balance. Let those who want to plan and not get up at 7am book their first one ahead of time.
Leave the rest the way it was.

It's let people stack rides if they choose, let's the ride pounders still able to ride 8-9 a day.

Maybe I'm in the minority but we go to parks to ride rides all day.

Ayla

The beauty of capitalism and consumerism. 😎

Hockey89

How.... I don't understand this at all.... We rode every single ride we wanted using Genie Plus and rope dropping... It wasn't hard at all so I have a hard time believing your post.... It really wasn't hard at all......

Splash4eva

Congrats, you were in a tiny fraction of the Genie+ population that knew the drop times. And if more than that tiny fraction had known about them, you almost never would have been able to grab them.
And that tiny fraction of us who did some extra leg work and did some research had that pay off for us… you literally just proved my point.

C33Mom

11am check 5 refreshes allowed
RideNormal return timeBest return time within the 5 refreshes
Big Thunder7:35pm5:25pm
Buzz2:40pm1:55pm
HM7:55pm5:10pm
Jungle Cruise9:10pm6:30pm
Pooh5:10pm11:10am
Pirates
5:10pm
N/A
SM7:05pm5:25pm
TianaSold out4:55pm
FrozenSold outN/A
MS8:00pmN/A
RemySold outN/A
SSE1:15pm12:25pm
MMRR3:40pmN/A
MFSR2:05pm12:25pm
RnRC6:05pm5:15pm
SDDSold outN/A
TSMMSold out3:00pm
ToT8:25pm12:05pm
EE3:45pm1:35pm
Kali5:30pm2:30pm
NaviSold outN/A
We are happy to pay $$$ for premium experiences but this makes me think we will by LLMP a lot less than we used to buy G+ (which was daily). It’s not going to work on arrival day (with the possible exception of AK) to get more than one ride we’d actually want to use it on, and it doesn’t look that valuable for any other day that we aren’t (a) able to get selections for before 10AM and (b) able to get everybody out of the hotel and into a LL by 9ish. And this is during a slow period, right? If they don’t increase capacity, I presume the holiday crush will be a nightmare.

Hockey89

And that tiny fraction of us who did some extra leg work and did some research had that pay off for us… you literally just proved my point.
Sure did..... Last trip we went to MK two times, did 11 rides both times from rope drop to 11:30 which was lunch time and went back to the pool.... Really was easy....

Jrb1979

How.... I don't understand this at all.... We rode every single ride we wanted using Genie Plus and rope dropping... It wasn't hard at all so I have a hard time believing your post.... It really wasn't hard at all......
Bolded is the issue many have. We and @Splash4eva are in the minority of guests. Most don't do the parks all day. Majority stroll in at the crack of noon, maybe ride 3-4 things and leave.

Rides are secondary to, dining, resorts, and atmosphere for most. It's why the majority loves having their 3 pre-booked cause that's all they want.

Hockey89

Bolded is the issue many have. We and @Splash4eva are in the minority of guests. Most don't do the parks all day. Majority stroll in at the crack of noon, maybe ride 3-4 things and leave.

Rides are secondary to, dining, resorts, and atmosphere for most. It's why the majority loves having their 3 pre-booked cause that's all they want.
I don't go all day.... Rope drop to lunch which is at 11:30..... Back to the pools... Last trip early hours were 830 so it was in three hours we did 11 rides at the MK.... Once again, what is so hard about that....

Splash4eva

Exactly. I hate to defend Disney by any means after all they have done these past years but Genie worked well for almost everyone i know that have gone and used it. Yea it stinks you gotta pay but is that really an issue especially for those paying stupid prices for Deluxe and Moderate resorts?!? At least Genie actually serves a purpose. Yea it was free i get it but also everyone needs to move past that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom