Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Ayla

Before the rollout there was a popular expectation that guests would be able to pre-book in times close to one another earlier in the day (at least for resort guests). The idea was that crisscrossing a park would be reduced. As it stands today this is very difficult to do before noon. It's great to have flexibility to pick times, but when realistic groupings are early afternoon to early evening (depending on popularity of the tier 1), tradeoffs are created as hours tick by before able to book new attractions (when first booked a the afternoon).

G+ put a burden on same day guests to work through the system and continue refreshing, and success stories for new multi LL have often included similar stories about modifying and refreshing. We've been checking every few hours to see what pops up for booked days 9 and 14 day, and we'll continue to do so. I suspect eventually we'll find better times to fit into our schedule but its going to be more burdensome, for us, than just doing it same day with G+. Sounds like there will still be much modifying and refreshing so I'm not imagining being on my phone less during the trip. More pre-trip work without significantly reducing day-of burden is, imo, a net loss.

What I'm talking about might be easier to see here, for we what we have for HS on August 5.:

View attachment 804903

First I note thatbwe have these because my kids have different HS interests and that's why we end up with +3 reservations. Anyway, 9 days out the best we could do with Slinky was 5:55. Our choices were then to either group things closer together after 2 for a plan to make more sense, but the tradeoff would be not starting to use reservations earlier (here Runaway Railway, Swirling Saucers, ToT) and booking better replacements later. Can this be cleaned up? Probably, but it's going to be a real pain.
With a few exceptions, Genie+ (or whatever the latest stupid name is) isn't required to be able to ride rides. You can still wait in stand by.

JIMMYEDDIE

Absolutely the educated guests will do better than uneducated. My suspicion though is that the peak won’t be quite as good as G+ but that the floor will be better than G+.

But I think super users will still do just fine. And if there are drops during the day and those get known then it potentially won’t be that different from G+
The floor is also worse. With genie, because inventory was spread out, your first 3 selections were all tier 1. And that was for all people, as long as they had the extreme basic knowledge of knowing you could book every 2 hours.

JIMMYEDDIE

This is absolutely the worst version of this system.

They reduced the inventory of available Multi Pass Lightning Lanes relative to Fastpass+ and added a price point. More than ever before, I think this may be my breaking point. The system in Disneyland is substantially better than Disney World.
1,000,000% this. This is the absolute worst system they have ever had.

JIMMYEDDIE

Strongly disliking this system. I have a trip from August 3 to 11 and I'm looking at MK August 10, almost two weeks out, and this is the best we can do:

View attachment 804777

By the time we can start using these in the early afternoon we'd be looking at scraps to fill in the rest of the day. Now we play a modifying game.
Exactly why this system is terrible. I will bet anything this get modified before the holidays. There is no way in hell getting those 3 rides is worth $35 pp.

JIMMYEDDIE

Not everyone can lock in three separate one hour windows that are largely immovable objects. Disney World is a vacation that involves children and children can't always be scheduled.

Advanced bookings of 3 attractions + Lightning Lane Single Pass has dramatically reduced the same day flexibility. It's the same problems that plagued Fastpass+ but exaggerated even further. The overall inventory for the 3 Lightning Lane Multi Pass is reduced because attractions that would otherwise be Tier 1 are essentially in their own Single Pass tier.

This system is unsustainable in its current form.
This system is an unmitigated disaster and that's not hyperbole. It will have the lowest guest satisfaction ratings of all of the systems

Purduevian

As much as crowds were indeed lower, the COVID era standby only was so much smoother. Lines moved quickly as they were not constantly stopping for FP/Genie/Lightning etc. I understand exceptions for DAS, but I wish we could just have standby only.

Disney rides were generally designed to be extremely efficient and FP/Genie/whatever messes up a lot of the efficiency and makes the experience worse in the long run, IMO.
Counter Point. Those that know how to use the system will have a much better time if they use the skip the line system than an all standby day. I had my "worst" (still a great day) day at MK ~2 weeks before G+ launched.
Looking at touring plans, they dropped Tiana FPs every hour at :48, I got really lucky as I didn't know that. I didn't see any other noticeable behavior from the other attractions.
Are the drop times behind a paywall? If not, would you mind sharing the link? If they are behind the paywall, don't share as that's how Len makes his money. (I'll probably subscribe closer to my trip just for the drop times)

Disstevefan1

This system is an unmitigated disaster and that's not hyperbole. It will have the lowest guest satisfaction ratings of all of the systems
IgerNothingToSeeHere.jpg

lightningtap347

Counter Point. Those that know how to use the system will have a much better time if they use the skip the line system than an all standby day. I had my "worst" (still a great day) day at MK ~2 weeks before G+ launched.

Are the drop times behind a paywall? If not, would you mind sharing the link? If they are behind the paywall, don't share as that's how Len makes his money. (I'll probably subscribe closer to my trip just for the drop times)
Sorry - it was thrill data! No paywall at all, here you go: https://www.thrill-data.com/lightning-lane/wdw/tianasbayouadventure/07/28/2024

Saskdw

Are we now saying FP+ was good when all we heard for years was how bad it was for almost all guests especially ones that stayed off site?
We thought FP+ was fantastic.
I guess I didn't come to this part of the forum back in those days because I never heard a lot of complaints.
As far as offsite people....I don't care....I considered it an onsite perk.

Purduevian

what makes it worse than FP+ (other than having to pay for it)
I don't think it's doomsday or anything. I actually think LLMP is a step up from G+. However, vs FP+
FP+>LLMP
  • No re-rides
  • LLSP dilutes the tier 1 and tier 2
  • I don't think MK had tiers under FP+ (but AK did).
  • Meet and greets were on it (I think this may change)
  • Could be done in a browser or the app
LLMP>FP+
  • 7/3 days vs 60/30
  • Simpler booking rules (always have 3)
  • I don't think FP+ allowed for length of ticket booking for offsite guests. I think it was always 30 days
I don't remember the FP+ park hopping rule or if you could modify tier 2s into a tier 1 after using any of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom