Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Ayla

That seemed unnecessarily rude. Why would you take aim at someone's 8 Y-O daughter?
I had even agreed with your previous statement that it was "ridiculously complicated", full well accepting that it's a "me issue".

Today is launch day. I'm still multiple pages behind, so I don't know how it's actually working for those in the park today, but I wish everyone good luck and heaps of pixie dust.
Because when a poster says "even my 8 year could figure it out, why can't you??", they are going to get an equally rude response.

JD80

what I don't get for today no one pre-booked...why does it seem like less availability today vs genie+. Is it really because of the no meet and greets? Or 2 hour wait to book a new one?

Guesses:
1) Everyone has three tracks they can book. If you have prebook 3, then book a 4th by 10am, normally 4 LLs would be taken by people by 3pm if you stack.

2) There is less inventory than normal so park ops aren't overwhelmed by a new system.

3) With the fact that people are booking more LL, you can hold 3, each LL is less valuable so there are potentially a lot more LLs that aren't even used and are taken out of the system (thanks Scott Gustin for this point)

In regards to #3 - it will take some weeks for WDW ops to predict how many LLs are booked but never used for each attraction. For example I'm willing to bet there are more unused Tea Cups LL than there are TBA LLs. So once those numbers are more predictable then WDW ops will be adding in more inventory for each of those attractions.

MickeyLuv'r

It might be a generational thing. I don't mind being on my phone to reduce my wait times, and to maximize how many attractions I can experience. Hell, I will LL Figment and the line is 5 min or less.
I don't mind it enough that I am willing to do it, but I much prefer the ease of using Express Pass.

One aspect I dislike is the 1 hour use window. If dinner runs long or something, it can be a pain trying to get to ride before the grace period expires. It isn't our fault if we were seated half an hour late, but we pay the price. It isn't always possible to modify a pass if they are all gone.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

One thing I disliked was not being able to book/stack in advance. That being said, we arrived one day in the afternoon and still got a lot of rides (through refreshing). DL doesn't have nearly as many rides eligible for Genie though so I have to imagine they just have fewer people using the system?

I remember reading lots of FP+ complaints here. Pretty much everyone I know thought it was just fine.
My family hated FP+. Mainly due to having to schedule out my day. We have enough of a schedule at home and its the last thing I want to do on vacation. It's a big reason we enjoy Universal more. Very little planning involved

I have never understood why so many of you like the spreadsheet planning.

what I don't get for today no one pre-booked...why does it seem like less availability today vs genie+. Is it really because of the no meet and greets? Or 2 hour wait to book a new one?
Don't forget every vlogger is out there today and the novelty of a new system for regular park guests probably has the usage rate way higher today than Genie has been in months.

ConfettiCupcake

My family hated FP+. Mainly due to having to schedule out my day. We have enough of a schedule at home and its the last thing I want to do on vacation. It's a big reason we enjoy Universal more. Very little planning involved

I’d 100% take a ride when you want over a scheduled times system at Disney, but since that’s not likely to come to Disney for a price less than a VIP guide I personally prefer the pre-booked schedule of times of your own choosing over the next available time assigned like Genie did. With Genie, if you could predictably modify your time out to something useful for you without keeping a sharp eye on it, it probably didn’t really need a LL anyways.

To me the spreadsheet style touring is the lesser of two evils.

DCLcruiser

I don't mind it enough that I will do it, but I much prefer the ease of using Express Pass.

One aspect I dislike is the 1 hour use window. If dinner runs long or something, it can be a pain trying to get to ride before the grace period expires. It isn't our fault if we were seated half an hour late, but we pay the price. It isn't always possible to modify a pass if they are all gone.
Agreed, but this has been a problem since 1999, and at least now you don't have to run around to get another FP.

DCLcruiser

You would hate my European vacation spreadsheets, down to 15 minute intervals. But...we see everything, in an efficient order, taking into consideration open/close times, proximity, importance (to us), etc. This makes the trip more relaxing as I spent months planning it, instead of running around a foreign city trying to figure things out.

JIMMYEDDIE

Did FP+ have low satisfaction results? This is honestly the first I'm hearing of this. I know there were some complains about the 60 day booking window.

I think most of those changes were quite minor and had to do with park hopping rules, prices, pricing structure, pre buying, ect. The core functionality of G+ didn't really change from day one
Yes, GSAT was low with FP+ (worse now b $ and less inventory)

Pricing, modifying, park hopping and plenty more

TheMaxRebo

Definitely something "off" for me but I love spreadsheet planning. And not just for Disney - any event, trip, whatever - get to break out a new spreadsheet makes me happy

TheMaxRebo

I’m not the first to say this - get rid of all express lines. Imagine that - one line into the attraction which continually moves. Yeah, they will be a significant loss of revenue but guests may be happier and happier guests may spend more. Eh… but what do I know.

I wouldn't mind that but there is a portion of the guest population that absolutely wants a "skip the line" ability and won't wait on lines

Anecdotally but I have friends who back with FP+ would just have those (which they would book what they could get the night before) and use those and not ride anything else unless it was a virtual walk on. They just wouldn't wait in any line and we're totally fine not getting on things

Obviously revenue is a reason but basically every theme park has some form is skip the line as at least a portion of the guests want it and are willing to pay for it

mysto

So a ticket for MK is now $169 (depending on the day) but if you want the same access you had in 2019 with FP+ you also need LLMP ($29), an ILL for Seven Dwarfs ($11), and an ILL for Tron ($20).

$229 just to get the same experience you got for $129 in 2019, they've nearly doubled the price in less than 5 years, this management team is absolute garbage.
I'm curious how this math looks to a local with an AP? I've been thinking about it and it's pretty hard to even frame the question as that group has so many different motivations and use patterns.

I think for some, once the pass is paid for, using it in 2019 was free. Now $60 per day in your example. That's an infinite percentage increase.

Purduevian

Yes, GSAT was low with FP+ (worse now b $ and less inventory)

Pricing, modifying, park hopping and plenty more
I had no idea GSAT was low. If we are ignoring price, to me personally it seems like FP+>G+>LLMP>Legacy FP>Standby only. Although we will see how LLMP works once I actually use it.

Found the 9 changes to G+ article.
1. When you can buy
2. Park hopping rules
3. A notification of the 120 min rule (no actual change to the rule just a graphic)
4. Changes in prices
5. Modification enabled
6. Free photopass on rides addition
7. Park specific pricing
8. Sell out rules
9. I guess they are counting rides being added/eliminated?

With the exception of park hopping rules and being able to modify. Nothing actually changed with G+ once you bought it.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I think that they actually know what they are doing and people are complaining now that they cant obligate Disney to dedicate more of the planned hourly capacity to Lightning Lane Multi-pass which would recreate the DAS overuse issue all over again for participating attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom