Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

DCBaker

Premium Member

bwr827

24th is the first day of my trip 🙃

Do we have official confirmation that the new bookings will begin at 7AM that day?
That’s the expectation. I did see someone on another forum post a reply from Disney customer service saying it, but we know those aren’t always accurate.

I would be awake and ready by 6:50am, personally.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So if we assume 2H '24 takes in same as first half that will be $547m (so over half a billion $)

If they get about 47m total guests at WDW, that would be like adding $11.60 to each daily admission (or per day to APs)
One way to look at this is instead of increasing ticket prices by $12 a ticket for everyone and making the service free like FP+ they instead raised prices $25-$30 per ticket for the 1/3 using the system and $0 for those not using. Guests have a choice now.

Before anyone says it, I acknowledge that they also raised regular ticket prices each year as well. I also acknowledge that paper FP and later FP+ were both free services. The point is Disney is going to get paid either way. Better to allow you to pick and choose vs a blanket increase in tickets. On a 7 day trip you can even pick and choose by day.

Purduevian

IMO that's exactly why availability runs out so quickly on most days. The system can't support that many people using it each day.
I don't have all the data, but Len has said HM gives out ~300LL per hour so over a 12 hour day that's 3,600 LLs per day.

High capacity rides (~3,600 LLs per day)
  1. Big Thunder
  2. Space Mountain
  3. Tiana's
  4. Buzz Light year
  5. HM
  6. small world
  7. Pirates
  8. Little Mermaid
  9. Living with the Land
  10. Nemo
  11. SSE
  12. MMRR
  13. RnRC
  14. Slinky
  15. ToT
  16. TSMM
  17. Dinosaur
  18. Everest
  19. Safaris
I count 19 that are probably at least in the realm of HM which would give a total of (300X12x19)=68,400 LLs a day on these 19 attractions. There are also many "medium" and "low" capacity rides on top of this

JAB

Seeing reports that the MDE app is prompting people to update to the latest version in order to use LL-MP/LL-SP.

Edited to clarify: This is just rolling out the necessary app changes ahead of the launch on the 24th and trying to get people to update now, so it's less of a mess on Wed.

Last edited:

Dranth

sadly for a number of years it went to subsidizing niche D+ streaming projects, many of which have since been written off as losses given their poor viewership.
People keep saying this but I don't believe it is true. The numbers are available to see and there doesn't look to be a single year where the segment that contains streaming didn't make enough money to cover D+ losses.

FY 2020: D+ launches. Covid happens and Parks lose money for the year so couldn't have covered anything.
FY 2021: DMED reports 7.2 billion in profit so no losses from streaming would be covered from DPEP.
FY 2022: DMED reports 8 billion in profit so no losses from streaming would bleed over into DPEP.
FY 2023: Un-Reorg takes place so annual report is changed but Entertainment brings in enough on it's own to not need any coverage from the parks.
FY 2024: For both Q1 and Q2, entertainment has had enough profit to cover any losses by streaming.

So, unless I am missing something, Disney has never needed the money from parks to cover streaming losses and if they meet their profitability goals (which they are on pace for) they never will.

An argument could be made they didn't want to spend money because they weren't making enough over all but that is different than claiming streaming was being subsidized by the parks.

Tha Realest

People keep saying this but I don't believe it is true. The numbers are available to see and there doesn't look to be a single year where the segment that contains streaming didn't make enough money to cover D+ losses.

FY 2020: D+ launches. Covid happens and Parks lose money for the year so couldn't have covered anything.
FY 2021: DMED reports 7.2 billion in profit so no losses from streaming would be covered from DPEP.
FY 2022: DMED reports 8 billion in profit so no losses from streaming would bleed over into DPEP.
FY 2023: Un-Reorg takes place so annual report is changed but Entertainment brings in enough on it's own to not need any coverage from the parks.
FY 2024: For both Q1 and Q2, entertainment has had enough profit to cover any losses by streaming.

So, unless I am missing something, Disney has never needed the money from parks to cover streaming losses and if they meet their profitability goals (which they are on pace for) they never will.

An argument could be made they didn't want to spend money because they weren't making enough over all but that is different than claiming streaming was being subsidized by the parks.
1721411309351.png

Dranth

We all know streaming has lost money. That wasn't in question but again, no money the parks earned was funneled into DMED or Entertainment (parks were/are in the DPEP/Experiences segment), which is what people keep implying. The other areas of Entertainment made more than enough to cover streaming losses every single year since streaming started. Even last year with the box office bombs the Entertainment segment was positive. You can look at the financials, they are publicly available.

Now, if you mean Disney did not spend as much on the parks as they would have otherwise because of streaming then I can see your point. However, they fired the guy who went overboard into streaming, scrapped or cutback many existing projects and put so little time into parks that the best, solid announcement we got at D23 was a figment M&G.

I think ever last person on here has a ton of issues with Iger. In terms of the parks, I think he is often blatantly out of touch, I don't always like what he picks to spend park money on, and no one should look past what he allowed to happen in terms of quality and value at the parks, but he hasn't been afraid to spend on the parks in a long time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We all know streaming has lost money. That wasn't in question but again, no money the parks earned was funneled into DMED or Entertainment (parks were/are in the DPEP/Experiences segment), which is what people keep implying. The other areas of Entertainment made more than enough to cover streaming losses every single year since streaming started. Even last year with the box office bombs the Entertainment segment was positive. You can look at the financials, they are publicly available.

Now, if you mean Disney did not spend as much on the parks as they would have otherwise because of streaming then I can see your point. However, they fired the guy who went overboard into streaming, scrapped or cutback many existing projects and put so little time into parks that the best, solid announcement we got at D23 was a figment M&G.

I think ever last person on here has a ton of issues with Iger. In terms of the parks, I think he is often blatantly out of touch, I don't always like what he picks to spend park money on, and no one should look past what he allowed to happen in terms of quality and value at the parks, but he hasn't been afraid to spend on the parks in a long time.
Cash vs earnings are 2 different things. Large capital improvement projects in the parks require large sums of cash up front. That results in depreciation expense over many years so the earnings and the cash don’t line up.

TWDC has forecasted cash flows and has some idea where the cash in and the cash out will be. Most of the excess cash earned from all the various businesses combined goes to stock buybacks, the dividend now that it’s back and some goes to servicing the debt. If the cash flows from streaming were negative (they were) that excess cash needs to come from somewhere. The company was unlikely to cut back on stock buybacks, they could have but they didn’t. They did leave the dividend at zero after Covid for a little while. The point is that even if the overall Entertainment segment had positive earnings or positive cashflows that does not mean the losses at streaming did not result in less spend on capital projects in the parks. I don’t think we can say it’s just streaming. For WDW they also has the DeSantis thing and a lot of uncertainty there. The company also went through a major cost cutting plan more recently combined with stopping the bleeding from streaming so they are in a better position to spend more on the parks.

lentesta

Premium Member
I don't have all the data, but Len has said HM gives out ~300LL per hour so over a 12 hour day that's 3,600 LLs per day.

High capacity rides (~3,600 LLs per day)
  1. Big Thunder
  2. Space Mountain
  3. Tiana's
  4. Buzz Light year
  5. HM
  6. small world
  7. Pirates
  8. Little Mermaid
  9. Living with the Land
  10. Nemo
  11. SSE
  12. MMRR
  13. RnRC
  14. Slinky
  15. ToT
  16. TSMM
  17. Dinosaur
  18. Everest
  19. Safaris
I count 19 that are probably at least in the realm of HM which would give a total of (300X12x19)=68,400 LLs a day on these 19 attractions. There are also many "medium" and "low" capacity rides on top of this

I now think it’s closer to 480/hour tops. And multiple drops per day.

C33Mom

I don’t see why. That isn’t a requirement of G+ and park hopping is unrestricted. That would be adding a new restriction for no reason.
Is that true? I know at one point you couldn’t book G+ for anything other than your first park until return times stretched past 2pm, but then I switched to an evening stacking strategy and haven’t paid attention. I hope you are right— we want to do the GOTG VQ in the AM but I don’t see much appeal in FEA or Remy and I refuse to accept that Soarin belongs in Tier 1 at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom