Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What about this is better than Genie+?
The pre-booking and picking times vs getting next available time
I think it’s an indication of how horribly many viewed Genie, this is still a major downgrade from FP and FP+ but is being viewed as a major upgrade from Genie.
Major downgrade from original FP for sure
Outside of the obvious - it ain’t free - seems like not a major downgrade from FP+. Including the cost….yes major downgrade.

nickys

Premium Member
Harrassing and 'badgering' are essentially the same thing.

I think you 'may' have hit on what is triggering the difference. The resort reservations are sold by Walt Disney Travel Company, whereas LL would be sold by The Walt Disney Company (separate legal entities) which is not authorized to complete those transactions outside the US.
But we can ask WDTC to book dining, tours, droid building etc which otherwise require a vpn.
Likewise when Genie+ could be bought with tickets we could do that online or by phone.

mattpeto

The tiering system says "you can't get the rides you want, period."
Just from the pre-planning aspect. Day of, you can shift to 7 am Genie+ strategy and modify two of your selections to Group 1.

We have to see how it's implemented and how availability looks. It remains to be seen.

As an evening stacker, the new system definitely works against how I tour personally. I still expect to get the ones that I want, but probably will have to settle with 3 maximum.

Saskdw

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Canada books through the same arm as USA, pays in USD, and can call from home for DAS unlike other international guests. Seems odd that this new system is excluded.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm not convinced Canada is included in the International visitors category. Regulations are different between US and Canada then other countires.

Vegas Disney Fan

The tiering system says "you can't get the rides you want, period."
Maybe not every single one but if I can guarantee myself 3 good rides with low waits that’s good enough for me to spend $20, maybe $25, probably not $30… the devil will be in the details.

If we can’t get 3 “good” rides it won’t even be worth $20, at least we’ll know before we buy it though. I used Genie ounce, we got 1 ride at a time that worked for us, I felt like a sucker that got completely ripped off, at least I can save my money with this if nothing good is available.

nicb88

Surely that’s because you have to be logged in to buy it and have a valid ticket for the same day?

Unless you have an AP of course.
I have an AP.

Re magic bands, I have also tried to buy them many times and you can’t even get close to try changing the shipping address - even under a VPN it says ‘guests cannot buy magicbands internationally’, never mind not just ship internationally.

Just to add to this, you need a VPN to manage DAS and you can still make and manage resort reservations with a VPN for now.

Disstevefan1

I’m also curious to see if Disney will raise the price as availability decreases, multipass might be $20 if you log in right at 7am when 100% of capacity is available, bumps to $30 when 50% of capacity is available, $40 when 25% is still available... that would also limit the number of users.
This makes sense from the money stand point, Disney can make more money.

But now with advance selection of return times, will folks figure out the multipass will become less valuable the later you purchase it; all the good return times are gone.

And for folks who don't know any better and buy late, will pay for it and after that find out its not worth it.

When it was free, there was nothing to lose.

ConfettiCupcake

Maybe not every single one but if I can guarantee myself 3 good rides with low waits that’s good enough for me to spend $20, maybe $25, probably not $30… the devil will be in the details.

If we can’t get 3 “good” rides it won’t even be worth $20, at least we’ll know before we buy it though. I used Genie ounce, we got 1 ride at a time that worked for us, I felt like a sucker that got completely ripped off, at least I can save my money with this if nothing good is available.

Those quotation marks around good are doing some heavy lifting there lol! For the most part the rides that are in tier 2 are rides you would have no problem snagging with Genie, even the least educated Genie guest.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This makes sense from the money stand point, Disney can make more money.

But now with advance selection of return times, will folks figure out the multipass will become less valuable the later you purchase it; all the good return times are gone.

And for folks who don't know any better and buy late, will pay for it and after that find out its not worth it.

When it was free, there was nothing to lose.
You see what’s available before paying so if you go to buy late and nothing good is left then don’t buy

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Those quotation marks around good are doing some heavy lifting there lol! For the most part the rides that are in tier 2 are rides you would have no problem snagging with Genie, even the least educated Genie guest.
Touring Plans has a nice little tool that projects what the return time will be each hour and when the full inventory will sell out for each ride. Time of year matters a lot but some rides never sell out some times of year.

Andrew25

It really bothers me that GOTG isn't off VQ yet. My wait-time model suggests it'll only be an hour-long wait on an average day during peak times.
1719421628490.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m generally not a conspiracy theorist but rolling this out just after they sunset the old DAS policy is interesting timing.
It’s definitely linked. It was suggested many places that a large percentage of the lightning lane capacity was being used by DAS leaving too little behind to sell. Disney never formally said this, but it’s easy to read between the lines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom