Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

djlaosc

But the simple answer would be to sell the multipass LL as part of a UK ticket, not from within the app.

I'm waiting for a new 2025 AttractionsTickets.com bundle to be released, which I would guess would try to have this included - it did at Disneyland when we went last year.

Or included in a Disney Package.

mattpeto

For those that are just angry at the upcharge, we are basically with you. But that's not going away.

I was very good at getting value of Genie+. Initially, when the news broke I was concerned I wouldn't get as much value with this new system.

The more I hear about the nuances with this platform, the more I think I'll generally get the same or greater value.

Except for evening stack days, we're the losers there. It's effectively the same solution as FP+, except you swap out a Group 2 at 7 am for Group 1 if it's available.

You won't get a 4th or 5th with value like you would with Genie+ with the evening stack. But you won't have to wake up at 7 am if you're good with two selections in Group 2.

Dranth

Just from the pre-planning aspect. Day of, you can shift to 7 am Genie+ strategy and modify two of your selections to Group 1.

We have to see how it's implemented and how availability looks. It remains to be seen.

As an evening stacker, the new system definitely works against how I tour personally. I still expect to get the ones that I want, but probably will have to settle with 3 maximum.
I doubt they leave a loop hole like that in place. If they do, why wouldn't everyone book 1 T1 and 2 small rides as early as possible and then immediately drop the two low wait rides for other T1s on park open?

Vegas Disney Fan

Those quotation marks around good are doing some heavy lifting there lol! For the most part the rides that are in tier 2 are rides you would have no problem snagging with Genie, even the least educated Genie guest.
Maybe, we wouldn’t know because we made the mistake of paying for Genie at HS and by the time the 2 hours had passed nothing else was available, it soured us so much on Genie we never used it again, it soured us so much we haven’t even been back to WDW since then (Jan 2023), and we are only going for 3 park days (no HS) when we do go before our cruise next year.

No matter how bad this ends up being I don’t think it’s going to leave people feeling so completely ripped off and like a fool for using it they don’t even want to return to the parks for 2 years.

nickys

Premium Member
I have an AP.

Re magic bands, I have also tried to buy them many times and you can’t even get close to try changing the shipping address - even under a VPN it says ‘guests cannot buy magicbands internationally’, never mind not just ship internationally.

Just to add to this, you need a VPN to manage DAS and you can still make and manage resort reservations with a VPN for now.
The magic band workaround was working as of May. My son did it and the bands were waiting for him when he arrived.

ToTBellHop

Yes.

With Tron on VQ, closing Adventureland means Jungle Cruise gobbles up an inordinate amount of LL demand and EVERYONE goes to Mine Train for rope drop. And Mine Train sucks butt at opening on time.
Not sure why MK remains the only park that only partially opens at 8:30. Space Mountain seldom runs on all cylinders at 8:30, as well.

SamusAranX

100 percent! THEY HAVE TO!!!! They very much need and value their international guests more than their domestic guests as international guests tend to stay longer and spend more money.
It will be so incredibly ironic that Disney targeted a massive overhaul of DAS for misuse against their policies, that caused clogged lighting lanes; yet looks the other way if international guests take LL passes days in advance that fill lightning lanes despite being against policy.

Still doubt the DAS changes aren’t about the Benjamin’s and about “helping” the guest experience ?

Last edited:

djlaosc

The weird thing is, we, as international guests were able to make advance FP+ reservations, which means that between 2013-2021, the international Disney World websites were able to make the reservations.

So, unless the website designers have forgotten how to do this, then you would think that it is to do with paying in advance.

However, I've just checked, and I can pay for a Cinderella's Royal Table reservation in full now, which means that I am able to pay in advance from my international country.

So I have previously been able to book in advance, and I have the ability to pay in advance, so why not allow us to book LLMP/LLSP in advance?

Even if we were unable to do it on the app until we arrived, allow us to do it on the website!

djlaosc

Harrassing and 'badgering' are essentially the same thing to the call center agent.

I think you 'may' have hit on what is triggering the difference. The resort reservations are sold by The Walt Disney Travel Company, whereas LL would be sold by The Walt Disney World Company (separate legal entities) which is not authorized to complete those transactions outside the US.

We are able to book restaurant reservations in advance, and pay for those required (as far as I am aware - I've just made a fake Cinderella's Royal Table booking for August, and I can get to the checkout page, so unless I wouldn't be able to get past that page, then surely they would just have to run LLMP/LLSP like they do their dining reservations.

Regarding the geo-locking of Lightning Lane purchases, my guess is this is meant to avoid abuse of the system and to protect Disney from consumer protection laws outside the US related to purchases and complaints about not getting what was expected.

There are enterprising people who have already hacked the Genie+ APIs to go so far as to automatically book attractions based on a preference list, the next available time slot, your location, and your calendar without any interaction on the day of visit. They work by adding the app to your friends and family list which allows the app's servers to interact with your account on your behalf. The servers for these apps are located outside the United States and their actions violate Disney's Terms of Service but their location makes it far harder to shut them down just like scam call centers.

Thus, limiting access to make purchases and interact with the (now) Lightning Lane APIs to only those within the US allows Disney to restrict access to users who are or will be subject to US law.

I agree it's not great, but if it reduces some of the abuse of the system and (hopefully) wait times across the board, I think it will be beneficial.

CaptainAmerica

They very much need and value their international guests more than their domestic guests as international guests tend to stay longer and spend more money.
That is ABSOLUTELY not correct.

Hypothetical UK family stays 14 nights and spends $500 on souvenirs.

Hypothetical American family stays 7 nights and spends $300 on souvenirs.

At first glance, the UK family spends more than the American family. Except that in those same 14 nights you can fit TWO American families spending $300 each for a total of $600.

The UK family is also much, much more likely to get groceries delivered, visit Universal Studios for a few days, eat off property, etc. etc.

(Obviously my numbers are made up, but my point is directionally accurate.)

Kenneth Davies

As an International guest, I can pay for everything else except advance ride bookings??
This makes no sense.
Assuming using a VPN to relocate my phone will take care of that. But what a nuisance. The people that are not only travelling the largest distance but also spending the most to visit are left out in the cold. In other words, the ones that need it the most.

ToTBellHop

I don’t think Disney has it out for international travelers but I do think they have a better understanding of the international commerce and consumer protection laws that influence these sales than we do.

We can immediately dismiss any claim that Disney is choosing to turn down money from these guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom