Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

nickys

Premium Member
I'm going to see how the VPN pans out, it seems to work for everything except the pre ordered magic bands. We're staying at Wilderness Lodge next year and won't hesitate to cancel it. So frustrating they are even annoying folk who are willing to pay for it.
There is a way round for magic bands.

When it asks for your address, use the resort address. They then get sent to the front desk.

Saskdw

I'm going to see how the VPN pans out, it seems to work for everything except the pre ordered magic bands. We're staying at Wilderness Lodge next year and won't hesitate to cancel it. So frustrating they are even annoying folk who are willing to pay for it.
The magic band thing has to do with resorts shipping out of the US. Nothing to do with the app or website.

nickys

Premium Member
It already will not allow you to purchase Genie Plus due to geo-location before even asking for dates etc. And I’ve tried a number of VPNs and it won’t work with that either.
Surely that’s because you have to be logged in to buy it and have a valid ticket for the same day?

Unless you have an AP of course.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think most people are thinking ‘i got 3 LL reservations!’ And that’s winning in their mind. They aren’t looking past getting a reservation and ignoring what the rest of their experience will change to.

It’s literally chasing the shiny object Disney is dangling in front of you.

I can’t wait for about a month after this goes live and the grievances start.
People will complain no matter what they do.

I had plenty of very enjoyable trips while FP+ was the law of the land. I don’t see how this system will be in any way worse than FP+ so I’m not worried about ruining my experience.

hopemax

Under the system as laid out now how many non-resort guests people will buy in if the good attractions sell out 7 days in advance? Specifically for a park like AK where only a handful of rides get long lines.
It won’t be just potential LL purchases non-resort guests opt out of. Why buy a park ticket at all if you can see the rides you want will sell out for LL and the option is excruciating standby waits? This is why prioritizing resort guests too much is also bad business. People start opting out of certain parks, in favor of just the Magic Kingdom. So yes, Disney might capture some new money from resort bookings. But their ticket sales potentially can be negatively impacted instead.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Regulations have changed since FP+?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since you could only purchase G+ on the day of your visit, you were already there, so there was no issue. This seems only to impact the issue of advance purchase, and as has been said multiple times, there is likely some new regulatory barrier that they have no control over.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It won’t be just potential LL purchases non-resort guests opt out of. Why buy a park ticket at all if you can see the rides you want will sell out for LL and the option is excruciating standby waits? This is why prioritizing resort guests too much is also bad business. People start opting out of certain parks, in favor of just the Magic Kingdom. So yes, Disney might capture some new money from resort bookings. But their ticket sales potentially can be negatively impacted instead.
Plenty of people were buying park tickets and choosing to not buy genie+. Waiting in standby lines is still an option. Depending on time of year it may still be the best option.

osian

No reason given, but I suspect there are numerous regulatory issues at play.
What could possibly be "illegal" about it...it was no problem with booking FP+ via the web site, and Disney can already take payments for the whole package via the UK web site. Ah...it's about promoting use of the app isn't it? They don't want people to use the web site, or they just can't be bothered to develop it. But that's their choice. Nothing "regulatory" about it at all.

nickys

Premium Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since you could only purchase G+ on the day of your visit, you were already there, so there was no issue. This seems only to impact the issue of advance purchase, and as has been said multiple times, there is likely some new regulatory barrier that they have no control over.
Disney simply have to register with the customs / tax authorities to be able to accept payments from EU and the UK.

It’s not difficult. Other organisations manage it just fine. That’s what makes me so angry about it.

Saskdw

We stopped going to WDW because of G+.

There was no issues with FP+.

If they have no control over it that is too bad for them they won't get my business.

UK Disney

Disney simply have to register with the customs / tax authorities to be able to accept payments from EU and the UK.

It’s not difficult. Other organisations manage it just fine. That’s what makes me so angry about it.
I don't get it either, I paid in full for Rose and Crown using the app without a VPN the facility is already there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom