Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

osian

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since you could only purchase G+ on the day of your visit, you were already there, so there was no issue. This seems only to impact the issue of advance purchase, and as has been said multiple times, there is likely some new regulatory barrier that they have no control over.
You mean that UK visitors will no longer be able to purchase hotel packages and tickets in advance either? I'm due to pay my balance for my forthcoming trip, how on earth can I do that if they can't accept international payments any more?

donsullivan

Premium Member
Disney simply have to register with the customs / tax authorities to be able to accept payments from EU and the UK.

It’s not difficult. Other organisations manage it just fine. That’s what makes me so angry about it.
I'm just guessing here, but to do that, the app would need to add all of the complexity of currency exchange, tax and consumer law from every single country they made it available to be purchased from. If you make the transaction in the US, they just use the local tax law and your credit card does the currency exchange on the back end. It doesn't mean they could not do it in the future, but adding that functionality introduces a lot more complexity to the transaction that would likely have delayed the rollout (just a guess).

nickys

Premium Member
You mean that UK visitors will no longer be able to purchase hotel packages and tickets in advance either? I'm due to pay my balance for my forthcoming trip, how on earth can I do that if they can't accept international payments any more?
You can book through the UK website because the Walt Disney Travel Company is registered in the UK.

We need to be badgering them to get this policy changed. Or asking them to book for us - bet they’ll love that!

donsullivan

Premium Member
You can book through the UK website because the Walt Disney Travel Company is registered in the UK.

We need to be badgering them to get this policy changed. Or asking them to book for us - bet they’ll love that!
Yeah, harassing the call center agents who have no control over this and are only implementing policy is a great way to treat them.

Vegas Disney Fan

This is one of my big concerns. I would guess people would not buy it once it reaches that point, the problem is, if there are no good attractions left once you are in the park, what you are going to select? The capacity is already gone.
It will be interesting to see if this is self regulating, most people will stop entering a standby line when it reaches a certain point (60 mins for example) so my guess is most people will stop buying LL when they see the rides they want aren’t available also.

I’m also curious to see if Disney will raise the price as availability decreases, multipass might be $20 if you log in right at 7am when 100% of capacity is available, bumps to $30 when 50% of capacity is available, $40 when 25% is still available... that would also limit the number of users.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The number of people saying how great this is makes me sad. It's akin to the Kings fans celebrating how brilliant Rob Blake is for somehow trading the Dubois contract, while ignoring everything they traded away to get him in the first place.
Nah, it’s definitely possible for someone to be happy with this change when compared to genie+ service while still finding issue with many other things.

ToTBellHop

If you have valid admission with the Park Hopper option, you can choose a multi pass experience in a different theme park.
I wonder how this will be priced. Will have have to commit to the multi-park option in advance or will they do away with that? Right now, Epcot, for example, is cheaper, so I wonder if we will have to decide to purchase it for Epcot or Multi-park in advance or if you will just purchase it for Epcot, and the fact that you also have park hopping privileges will allow for the 4th (and later) LL to be in another park.

Vegas Disney Fan

The number of people saying how great this is makes me sad. It's akin to the Kings fans celebrating how brilliant Rob Blake is for somehow trading the Dubois contract, while ignoring everything they traded away to get him in the first place.
I think it’s an indication of how horribly many viewed Genie, this is still a major downgrade from FP and FP+ but is being viewed as a major upgrade from Genie.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It will be interesting to see if this is self regulating, most people will stop entering a standby line when it reaches a certain point (60 mins for example) so my guess is most people will stop buying LL when they see the rides they want aren’t available also.

I’m also curious to see if Disney will raise the price as availability decreases, multipass might be $20 if you log in right at 7am when 100% of capacity is available, bumps to $30 when 50% of capacity is available, $40 when 25% is still available... that would also limit the number of users.
The price goes up and the availability of individual rides continues to disappear until eventually nobody is willing to buy. That’s how it will work most times of year. The exception may be extreme crowd weeks.

ConfettiCupcake

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Canada books through the same arm as USA, pays in USD, and can call from home for DAS unlike other international guests. Seems odd that this new system is excluded.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Did I say harass?

How else are UK guests going to make their feelings known? WDTC are the ones selling the UK packages. Guests need to ask them how they can book and ask they escalate it to get an answer.
Harrassing and 'badgering' are essentially the same thing to the call center agent.

I think you 'may' have hit on what is triggering the difference. The resort reservations are sold by The Walt Disney Travel Company, whereas LL would be sold by The Walt Disney World Company (separate legal entities) which is not authorized to complete those transactions outside the US.

CaptainAmerica

This is extremely important and everyone ignores it when they compare lines under one system versus lines on another system.

No, they're not going to surge price within a day.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I'm moderately surprised they're removing parades and character greetings from the supply. If capacity is an issue, you'd think that every little bit helps.
We liked those kind of options back in the FP+ days. Like Epcot with limited number of FP attractions, we’d often choose Illuminations viewing area as our 4th FP early in the day. That satisfied us and also cut us out our access to FP inventory the rest of that day. Win Win.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom