Disney Food Is Expensive and Worse Than Ever

Phonedave

The quality puts me off though.

That really is the issue. I have said this time and time again, I do not mind paying higher prices for good food, and I do not mind paying a reasonable "theme park captive audience" premium.

The food at WDW is just not that good. It in no way justifies the price, even taking into account that it is higher because of the captive audience.

Chi84

Premium Member
That really is the issue. I have said this time and time again, I do not mind paying higher prices for good food, and I do not mind paying a reasonable "theme park captive audience" premium.

The food at WDW is just not that good. It in no way justifies the price, even taking into account that it is higher because of the captive audience.
It definitely varies widely in terms of quality, and both quality and quantity have suffered the past two years.

But if you're talking pre-pandemic, the food at a lot of WDW quick service places was very good. The shawarma platter at Tangierine Cafe in Epcot was excellent and enough for two for lunch; the shrimp flatbread at Pizzafari was outstanding; CHH in MK had the best salads and sandwiches. We would also split small plates at many of the lounges like Brown Derby and Nomad and had plenty to eat for a pretty reasonable price.

I'm hoping some of our favorites come back; we'll have to see.

the_rich

I was just in Dl and honestly I was very happy with the food and the prices. There was one lone exception that I felt was a little overpriced and that was blue bayou. I enjoyed it more in the past. I'm also from NYC so paying $15-20 for a counter service meal is normal.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
We’ve been here since 12/28 and leave tomorrow, 1/4. We had spectacular meals at Flying Fish, Toledo and Citricos.

Somewhat disappointed at Steakhouse 71 (and our fantastic server seemed to know it wouldn’t be top-notch!)

Our first night dinner at Whispering Canyon was good, not great. At least we got to experience the skillet. But as @Tuvalu noted, the burnt end nachos were awesome.

ETA: I should note that we are from NYC and accustomed to paying big bucks for dinners. We found that some of the WDW restaurants were priced as expected, and some were higher than even we are used to.

the_rich

We’ve been here since 12/28 and leave tomorrow, 1/4. We had spectacular meals at Flying Fish, Toledo and Citricos.

Somewhat disappointed at Steakhouse 71 (and our fantastic server seemed to know it wouldn’t be top-notch!)

Our first night dinner at Whispering Canyon was good, not great. At least we got to experience the skillet. But as @Tuvalu noted, the burnt end nachos were awesome.
Whispering canyon is one of my favorite places. Such a great experience.

Prince-1

ETA: I should note that we are from NYC and accustomed to paying big bucks for dinners. We found that some of the WDW restaurants were priced as expected, and some were higher than even we are used to.

Sorry to hear about Steakhouse 71 as it usually is very good. And Toledo is definitely an undiscovered gem. Great food, great ambiance, and the bar outside is fantastic.

Phonedave

It definitely varies widely in terms of quality, and both quality and quantity have suffered the past two years.

But if you're talking pre-pandemic, the food at a lot of WDW quick service places was very good. The shawarma platter at Tangierine Cafe in Epcot was excellent and enough for two for lunch; the shrimp flatbread at Pizzafari was outstanding; CHH in MK had the best salads and sandwiches. We would also split small plates at many of the lounges like Brown Derby and Nomad and had plenty to eat for a pretty reasonable price.

I'm hoping some of our favorites come back; we'll have to see.

When I say that price/quality is not there, I am referring to table service. Quick service is an entirely different set of expectations for me.

Chi84

Premium Member
When I say that price/quality is not there, I am referring to table service. Quick service is an entirely different set of expectations for me.
Table service restaurants are still suffering from lack of staffing and product shortages. It’s resulting in limited menus and uneven quality.

If you mean pre-pandemic I’m not sure I agree about the quality, but the table service restaurants at WDW are expensive. We eat mainly at the ones in the resorts and DS but usually enjoy them.

Centauri Space Station

Still have yet to have a bad meal at wdw in recent years but I avoid known places that aren’t good quality

Phonedave

Table service restaurants are still suffering from lack of staffing and product shortages. It’s resulting in limited menus and uneven quality.

If you mean pre-pandemic I’m not sure I agree about the quality, but the table service restaurants at WDW are expensive. We eat mainly at the ones in the resorts and DS but usually enjoy them.

They have been on a decline well before the pandemic. COVID only served to hasten the issue.

There has been a general trend to homogenization across not just dining, but most things in WDW as well.

TS dining has always been expensive, but now it is to the point of just being ridiculous.

Phonedave

Still have yet to have a bad meal at wdw in recent years but I avoid known places that aren’t good quality

I haven't had a BAD meal at Chilis either, but nor have I had a stellar one there either.

Food at WDW used to be something that I actually looked forward to. Now it is just food.

The only time I would say I had a BAD meal at WDW is at Cape May Cafe. Just hands down BAD.

Lately I have had many disappointing meals at WDW.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster

I agree. I'm to the point I don't like any of the park food and stick to hotels. Yak and Yeti even seems worse than before.

Jambo Dad

We still have our favorites - Boma, La Cellier, Yachtsman, Cali Grill, 50’s Primetime, Via Napoli (get pizza not entrees), Tangeriene. Old favorites Ohana and Sci Fi are much worse now. Sci Fi is a great setting with lousy food. New: enjoyed Steakhouse 71, looking forward to trying new Kona menu. Haven’t been to Space220 yet.

Chi84

Premium Member
We still have our favorites - Boma, La Cellier, Yachtsman, Cali Grill, 50’s Primetime, Via Napoli (get pizza not entrees), Tangeriene. Old favorites Ohana and Sci Fi are much worse now. Sci Fi is a great setting with lousy food. New: enjoyed Steakhouse 71, looking forward to trying new Kona menu. Haven’t been to Space220 yet.
We liked the Space 220 lounge. I thought the restaurant’s prix fixe menu was just too much food for us, but we had drinks and split the sliders and fries for lunch in the lounge and it was excellent. The “view” is great from the lounge.

Lilofan

How can the cooks mess up a burger and fries in Sci Fi?

Tjaden

We pretty much skip the QS meals and focus on snacking our way to dinner. Fill up the popcorn bucket a couple times, split a pretzel, split some fries, split an ice cream. Dinner time we do like a TS.

We are pro:
California Grill
Sanaa
San Angel Inn (surprised us)

We are con:
Maya Grill

I missed Monsieur Paul sorely my last visit. I'm glad to see it return.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom