Disney Food Is Expensive and Worse Than Ever

Lilofan

Hey @Tony the Tigger my pizza place has expanded into your neck of the woods. You should go try Frank Pepe's near the Broward Mall.
Wow , South FL can rejoice! I called the only Frank Pepe FL location. They told me they import the water to make the dough from CT. That’s why the pizza in FL is sub standard. It’s all in the water . Frank Pepe is doing things right.

Tony the Tigger

Pasta Fagioli = Pasta Fuh-zool
Capicola = Gabagool
Mozzarella = Mutz-a-dell
Ricotta = Ree-gout
Proscuitto = Pro-shoot
Manicotti = Man-uh-gut
Calzone (cal-TSO-nay) = Cal-zone

The article also left Cavatelli - Gava-teil off the list
Correct!
Hey @Tony the Tigger my pizza place has expanded into your neck of the woods. You should go try Frank Pepe's near the Broward Mall.
I will definitely check that out. One of my stores is just up the street.

Lilofan

It's ok there but go closer to Newark for excellent ;)
Speaking about Newark NJ (EWR) the airport where I flew into I was pleasantly surprised on the diverse variety of eateries to include upscale . Went through the brand new Terminal A, found Ess-a-bagels place well known in NYC. EWR A and C terminal with food court options blows away the boring eating options at Orlando MCO , Panda Wok, Chipotle, Wendy's , etc.

celluloid

Speaking about Newark NJ (EWR) the airport where I flew into I was pleasantly surprised on the diverse variety of eateries to include upscale . Went through the brand new Terminal A, found Ess-a-bagels place well known in NYC. EWR A and C terminal with food court options blows away the boring eating options at Orlando MCO , Panda Wok, Chipotle, Wendy's , etc.

Clientele.

SteveAZee

Meanwhile, back on the topic... ;)

Perhaps this observation has been made before, but does it seem like the quality/cost ratio is better once you step outside the parks? Meaning, between Disney Springs and the various hotel restaurants, it seems like there are a lot of good food for the money places to eat and that it's primarily the in-park places that most of the griping is about?

celluloid

Perhaps this observation has been made before, but does it seem like the quality/cost ratio is better once you step outside the parks? Meaning, between Disney Springs and the various hotel restaurants, it seems like there are a lot of good food for the money places to eat and that it's primarily the in-park places that most of the griping is about?

I think the quality outside the parks have slipped much less. But that is to be expected. They can't just rely on the convenience of being in the gate and have to appeal to more than just those staying at those resorts to have their income.

Lilofan

Our family always have enjoyed resort dining where we we're in a more relaxed setting , dressed and showered up looking forward to a good meal. In the parks in the middle of August , feeling hot, sweaty , at times drenched with a recent FL downpour , doesn't put us in a good mood to enjoy a park meal at times.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
I haven't had a BAD meal at Chilis either, but nor have I had a stellar one there either.

Food at WDW used to be something that I actually looked forward to. Now it is just food.

The only time I would say I had a BAD meal at WDW is at Cape May Cafe. Just hands down BAD.

Lately I have had many disappointing meals at WDW.

Food prices and some places I do notice the "quality" is not the same.
I will say that...

Cali Grill
Topolino's
Homecomin'
Morimoto Asia
Boathouse

All still crush it in terms of quality and how good it is.

Obviously I have not had Narcoossee's being it's been closed but I ALWAYS get lobster there and it is always awesome. I have a reservation for my May trip and I am excited to go back.

I have not been to Le Cellier since the DDP went away. While I LOVE the filet and truffle sauce it's hard to shell out that much money for a filet there.

Question for you...where have you been let down the most and realized a drop in quality?

This past Nov we ate at Chef Mickey's. There were kids involved and I tried to warn everyone we were paying for the characters and they food is not that good. But this was a whole different kind of not that good. We all ate the kids corn dogs and nuggets because everything else was absolutely horrible. It was seriously the worst meal I ever had in my life.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Food prices and some places I do notice the "quality" is not the same.
I will say that...

Cali Grill
Topolino's
Homecomin'
Morimoto Asia
Boathouse

All still crush it in terms of quality and how good it is.

Obviously I have not had Narcoossee's being it's been closed but I ALWAYS get lobster there and it is always awesome. I have a reservation for my May trip and I am excited to go back.

I have not been to Le Cellier since the DDP went away. While I LOVE the filet and truffle sauce it's hard to shell out that much money for a filet there.

Question for you...where have you been let down the most and realized a drop in quality?

This past Nov we ate at Chef Mickey's. There were kids involved and I tried to warn everyone we were paying for the characters and they food is not that good. But this was a whole different kind of not that good. We all ate the kids corn dogs and nuggets because everything else was absolutely horrible. It was seriously the worst meal I ever had in my life.
Cali grill was good (low expectations) when we went in June 2022. But I won’t be back for faux pricing. No thanks. Get a menu or get another sucker.

The outside restaurants are still better compared to cost. And some of the old Sigs.

Let’s see…went to jiko and flying fish in the last year - both good. The Epcot restaurants were kind meh.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Via Napoli's prosciutto and melon pizza is legit. It's extremely expensive of course, but it's excellent. I'm convinced they found a way to add extra gluten to the dough. It's the only way I can explain crust that soft and chewy.

BOG breakfast is consistently awful IMO. I tried Space 220 and the experience was fun once, but I won't be back as long as it remains prix fixe. My steak (ordered medium rare) was straight-up raw and didn't seem to have any salt on it. I'm always disappointed by the Ohana steak, and there's no justifying the price, but the shrimp are so good that I still make a reservation there very time.

This past trip we had great meals at Boma (always), Tusker House (new for us, but great diverse offerings around brunch time), Liberty Tree Taven (hit or miss, but this time was great).

Cali grill was good (low expectations) when we went in June 2022. But I won’t be back for faux pricing. No thanks. Get a menu or get another sucker.

The outside restaurants are still better compared to cost. And some of the old Sigs.

Let’s see…went to jiko and flying fish in the last year - both good. The Epcot restaurants were kind meh.

The November before Covid hit I went to Flying Fish and it was UNREAL. So much so I cancelled my Le Cellier Reservation later in the week and went back to Flying Fish.

I had this grilled shrimp in butter and garlic sauce for the app.
Grilled swordfish as the entree and used the garlic and butter from the shrimp on the fish.
Pana Cotta for dessert in this strawberry sauce.

Everything was ridiculously good.
Since they have re-opened, they have none of those options. =(

NelleBelle

We had breakfast at Trattoria al Forna in Spring of 2021, worst breakfast ever. I wanted the steel-cut oats with fruit. Fruit (berries) were so sour they were enedibe. No cream or sugar for the oatmeal. The oatmeal was worse that wallpaper paste. I literally could stand my spoon up in it without it falling over. No seasoning in that oatmeal whatsoever. I've had better oatmeal at Panera (and cheaper). Two thumbs way down and based on just a basic meal, won't be back to waste $$ on more expensive dishes.

UNCgolf

The November before Covid hit I went to Flying Fish and it was UNREAL. So much so I cancelled my Le Cellier Reservation later in the week and went back to Flying Fish.

I had this grilled shrimp in butter and garlic sauce for the app.
Grilled swordfish as the entree and used the garlic and butter from the shrimp on the fish.
Pana Cotta for dessert in this strawberry sauce.

Everything was ridiculously good.
Since they have re-opened, they have none of those options. =(

Flying Fish is easily the best TS meal I've had at Disney; California Grill isn't on the same level (and I wouldn't even consider eating there now since they've gone prix fixe).

I've been worried about what would happen to it post-COVID, though.

Hockey89

Flying Fish is easily the best TS meal I've had at Disney; California Grill isn't on the same level (and I wouldn't even consider eating there now since they've gone prix fixe).

It was really good in Oct. The snapper dish was really good. Maybe slightly overcooked but still very good.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes

The prix fix crap sucks mostly but I get an app, entree, and dessert when I eat there so I am okay with it. It makes things cheaper than I would have paid.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Here’s that meal I talked about earlier from Flying Fish…

C12667F0-ECFC-4A62-8EF3-9A17F13DB390.jpeg
3C775184-4662-4B03-94B4-B23402CD3080.jpeg
9AC4A098-0334-4209-8965-10C5E4B93399.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom