Disney Eyes 'Star Wars' Park Attractions Amid Buzz

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
Not really anything "new" here, just Iger making some general (non-specific) comments about what's coming (eventually).

From News.investors.com
Response to the upcoming "Star Wars" movie has "well exceeded expectations," and the rejuvenated franchise presents a "huge opportunity" for Walt Disney's parks and resorts, Disney CEO Bob Iger said Tuesday.

The media and entertainment giant, which got a boost from its theme parks unit in the second quarter, is doing some development work on potential "Star Wars" attractions, Iger said during a conference call.

"I think we've got something here that's very, very special, that's going to create value for the company for many, many years to come across the world," Iger said of the Lucasfilm movies.

The lingering success of "Frozen" helped drive up its consumer products revenue 10%. The animated film, which was released in late 2013, grossed over $1.2 billion worldwide at the box office.

But its blockbuster success also led to difficult year-over-year comparisons in Disney's studio entertainment division, as revenue fell 6%. Parks and resorts revenue grew 6% on higher average ticket prices at U.S. theme parks and cruise lines.

It remains to be seen whether the "Avengers" sequel or "Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens" will be the bigger box office hit. Buzz is already ramping up ahead of the latter's December release.
"We've been overwhelmed with interest," said Iger.

A couple of thoughts (rants) on his comments.
1) It's Star Wars, duh! Are you just now starting to understand the magnitude of this franchise? And, why are you dragging out the development of the attractions for the parks? Phase 1 of Star Wars park attractions should be nearing completion at this point, with the first wave set to open end of this year or early next year to catch the wave as close to possible with The Force Awakens.

2) Same goes for Frozen. If you were going to capitalize on a franchise, why not try to get it in stores/parks as quickly as possible? Not two-three or more years after. Sure, there's still an interest, but
it's not NEAR as much as when the wave is cresting.

Ugh! I know some on here like to harp on Disney a for how slow they are in bringing new things to the parks, and usually I tend to hold my thoughts on it, preferring to give them some grace, but this right here just yelled out to me what the problem is. It's a mindset that comes all the way from the top. A cautious, wait and see attitude and then we'll jump. I seriously have to wonder about the marketing and research team at Disney. Do they not look at social media, trends in pop culture, Amazon, toy stores, book stores, etc.? Have they not seen the amount of SW-related merchandise and material that exists? I gotta believe there's at least a couple of SW nerds inside the walls of Disney who could've told him that this is a big thing.

Last edited:

hpyhnt 1000

Just the usual meaningless platitudes from Iger. Just enough to keep those investors on the edge of their seats while Disney sits back and does nothing.

It remains to be seen whether the "Avengers" sequel or "Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens" will be the bigger box office hit. Buzz is already ramping up ahead of the latter's December release.
"We've been overwhelmed with interest," said Iger.

Funny, you'd never know it from the way Disney has responded. It's been a good two years since Iger began hinting about Star Wars stuff at the parks, and over 2.5 years since Disney bought LucasFilm. Yet nary a piece of concept art or detail to be found.

The only thing that's been "overwhelming" is Iger's lack of vision in getting Star Wars into the parks.

lebeau

A couple of thoughts (rants) on his comments.
1) It's Star Wars, duh! Are you just now starting to understand the magnitude of this franchise? And, why are you dragging out the development of the attractions for the parks? Phase 1 of Star Wars park attractions should be nearing completion at this point, with the first wave set to open end of this year or early next year to catch the wave as close to possible with The Force Awakens.

2) Same goes for Frozen. If you were going to capitalize on a franchise, why not try to get it in stores/parks as quickly as possible? Not two-three or more years after. Sure, there's still an interest, but
it's not NEAR as much as when the wave is cresting.

Ugh! I know some on here like to harp on Disney a for how slow they are in bringing new things to the parks, and usually I tend to hold my thoughts on it, preferring to give them some grace, but this right here just yelled out to me what the problem is. It's a mindset that comes all the way from the top. A cautious, wait and see attitude and then we'll jump. I seriously have to wonder about the marketing and research team at Disney. Do they not look at social media, trends in pop culture, Amazon, toy stores, book stores, etc.? Have they not seen the amount of SW-related merchandise and material that exists? I gotta believe there's at least a couple of SW nerds inside the walls of Disney who could've told him that this is a big thing.

Seriously. How stupid do you have to be?!? :banghead:

This just in: Star Wars is popular.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
Seriously. How stupid do you have to be?!? :banghead:

This just in: Star Wars is popular.

To say that it's popular is kind of an understatement, isn't it?
Go to Amazon and enter "Star Wars" in the search and you get more than 1 million items.
Google "Star Wars" and you get more than 300 million hits!'

In comparison, "Harry Potter" on Amazon = 217,000 on Google = 155 million.

DisneyDebRob

Disney really needs to "jump" on things a lot quicker, especially when it come to well known popular franchises or movies etc. the problem is, I believe is by the time the big wigs make up their mind other things begin to happen and things get put on hold. That's always a mistake in my book. Then take the fact that it takes sooooo long to build anything. I mean it took 1 and a half years to build a parking garage when UNI is putting up big attractions in less time. I really believe they are setting themselves up for trouble in years to come.

lebeau

To say that it's popular is kind of an understatement, isn't it?
Go to Amazon and enter "Star Wars" in the search and you get more than 1 million items.
Google "Star Wars" and you get more than 300 million hits!'

In comparison, "Harry Potter" on Amazon = 217,000 on Google = 155 million.

It is. I'm dumping on Disney for buying one of the biggest franchises in all of entertainment and apparently not realizing its value until fans lost it over a teaser trailer.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disney really needs to "jump" on things a lot quicker, especially when it come to well known popular franchises or movies etc. the problem is, I believe is by the time the big wigs make up their mind other things begin to happen and things get put on hold. That's always a mistake in my book. Then take the fact that it takes sooooo long to build anything. I mean it took 1 and a half years to build a parking garage when UNI is putting up big attractions in less time. I really believe they are setting themselves up for trouble in years to come.

The time to build part has been discussed here a lot, but the deciding what to build part is also quite tricky. You can't build a ride for every movie, Disney releases to many movies for that to be practical. Star Wars is a no brainer, but for other movies how do you decide if it's worth building a ride for? Would anyone have guessed that Frozen would be as popular as it is?

DisneyDebRob

The time to build part has been discussed here a lot, but the deciding what to build part is also quite tricky. You can't build a ride for every movie, Disney releases to many movies for that to be practical. Star Wars is a no brainer, but for other movies how do you decide if it's worth building a ride for? Would anyone have guessed that Frozen would be as popular as it is?
I agree with you that they can't build a ride for every movie and I'm so glad they don't. My point was that once they know it will be a huge hit, and they know that a lot of times before it's released, and it fits in theme into one of the parks, get to it quickly.it will be a crowd draw, it will make them money in the end. Mostly don't give a 3-4 year time table on it when your competition is doing it faster and better in a lot of cases,(HP).

pax_65

I really believe they are setting themselves up for trouble in years to come.

I'm not visiting WDW in 2015, the first year in over a decade that I can say that. Part of my reasoning is that there's nothing new to see in the parks (only some new shops/restaurants in Disney Springs). My plan was to visit in 2016 when something new was open, but now I'm wondering what, if anything, will be new in 2016. Like most of you, I was drunk on Disney Kool-aid for many years but I started questioning the value for my dollar after a truly mediocre trip last year - a sad development to be sure. :(

So I agree wholeheartedly. The only reason they aren't already in big trouble is because of the brand loyalty they worked so hard to build from 1971-2009 or so (a time I enjoyed tremendously). But soon others will start to question their Disney loyalty like I did.

I'm super excited for Star Wars around the whole Disney chain, but the fervor for Star Wars isn't going anywhere. It's not some "in the moment" thing that Disney needs to capitalize on right now, like Frozen or Avatar. Has anyone bothered to listen to WDI/Iger's official statements on the new Star Wars stuff being installed in the parks? They've already stated quite clearly that it's not going to be a quick process-
It's going to take a long time because they want to get it right, much like the first Potterland took 8 years from start to finish - not counting the fact that the ride system for Forbidden Journey was already in place from a previously cancelled attraction a year prior to that (and Diagon Alley took 6 years)
They're anxious to get filming and sets rolling for Episodes 8 & 9 in order to incorporate those into the land from day one
Not to mention that their lead project manager was only brought in this time last year. Disney is making this a slow process deliberately in all phases- it's not some "sharp pencil boy" mentality.

Those are really the only statements that are relevant, and it's why it's taking forever. Doesn't it seem the least bit foolish to expect Disney to fast-track Star Wars when EPCOT is getting a new attraction next year, Animal Kingdom is being transformed into a full day park, Magic Kingdom is finishing a huge scale over haul and Disney Springs is being doubled in size? I mean honestly, that's plenty to hold them over for the next half decade, which will be just in time for Star Wars to pick up the slack once those projects are finished.

Walt Disney World is a place that most families will visit every few years IF THEY'RE LUCKY. Opening new attractions every single year doesn't change that. When Star Wars opens, it'll draw the same sorts of people that inundated Universal for Harry Potter. For now, they'll just have to put up with being the most visited resort on earth with the second highest margins of any parks on earth and continuous growth in attendance and per caps. As someone previously mentioned: I wish I could run a business that took care of itself like that! ;)

bethymouse

If DHS doesn't "amp up" the "Star Wars" section of the park, then I know for sure that they don't listen to any of the "hard core" Disney fans!:arghh:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm super excited for Star Wars around the whole Disney chain, but the fervor for Star Wars isn't going anywhere. It's not some "in the moment" thing that Disney needs to capitalize on right now, like Frozen or Avatar. Has anyone bothered to listen to WDI/Iger's official statements on the new Star Wars stuff being installed in the parks? They've already stated quite clearly that it's not going to be a quick process-
It's going to take a long time because they want to get it right, much like the first Potterland took 8 years from start to finish - not counting the fact that the ride system for Forbidden Journey was already in place from a previously cancelled attraction a year prior to that (and Diagon Alley took 6 years)
They're anxious to get filming and sets rolling for Episodes 8 & 9 in order to incorporate those into the land from day one
Not to mention that their lead project manager was only brought in this time last year. Disney is making this a slow process deliberately in all phases- it's not some "sharp pencil boy" mentality.

Those are really the only statements that are relevant, and it's why it's taking forever. Doesn't it seem the least bit foolish to expect Disney to fast-track Star Wars when EPCOT is getting a new attraction next year, Animal Kingdom is being transformed into a full day park, Magic Kingdom is finishing a huge scale over haul and Disney Springs is being doubled in size? I mean honestly, that's plenty to hold them over for the next half decade, which will be just in time for Star Wars to pick up the slack once those projects are finished.

Walt Disney World is a place that most families will visit every few years IF THEY'RE LUCKY. Opening new attractions every single year doesn't change that. When Star Wars opens, it'll draw the same sorts of people that inundated Universal for Harry Potter. For now, they'll just have to put up with being the most visited resort on earth with the second highest margins of any parks on earth and continuous growth in attendance and per caps. As someone previously mentioned: I wish I could run a business that took care of itself like that! ;)

The problem with businesses that "take care of themselves" is that management often doesn't realize when they are about to stop taking care of themselves.
I am sure there are a lot of examples of businesses that have run into trouble because they thought that had an un-touchable market position. Not saying this is going to happen to Disney parks anytime soon, but it's definitely something you have to be careful of.

Well that's a pretty disingenuous comment. What people are furious about is its location in World Showcase. Had they built it in the MK or Studios there would not have been such a reaction.

It seems like a combination of both. People don't like Disney's milking of a new franchise almost as equally as they don't want World Showcase "desecrated". Of course if Disney succeeds in making EPCOT a park that both kids and snobs can enjoy, I'm pretty sure they'll be quite happy with their position. It's not EPCOT's original intent (which was already a bastardized failure of another concept that would have never worked) and I understand that argument. But I'm also glad places like DCA are having their original intent ripped away piece by piece. :)

I'm sure people will want to murder me for this, but I always secretly hoped World Showcase would get a country-specific ride for each of the pavilions. Some can be IP based while others don't need to be. China gets a Mulan Dark Ride. Give me an India pavilion with as Jungle Book canal ride. I want Germany with Snow White's Scary Adventures. Venetian gondolas for Italy. America can stay as is. Totoro dark ride in Japan. Aladdin's carpets spinner or the passage from DLP in Morocco. Ratatouille in France, Mr Toad in England and Brother Bear or Bambi dark ride in Canada. None need to be show stoppers, just make them on the level of a Fantasyland classic and pepper in some new tech here and there and I'd be thrilled.

And that's coming from someone who loved EPCOT 20 years ago, 10 years ago and will continue to spend a good chunk of time there for years to come. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom