Disney Eyes 'Star Wars' Park Attractions Amid Buzz

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
This whole argument of movie vs. ride concept is hollow when you try to explain Splash Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain. One is based on a movie that Disney hasn't released in two generations. Big Thunder simply has a fictional backstory. Park representation is purely concept and entertainment driven. If it's a Disney movie, that's just icing on the cake!

Perhaps 10-20 years ago maybe, but not in this current phase. The Disney of today is looking for quick, easily recognizable characters and stories to capitalize on.

lebeau

I obviously completely disagree.

Thanks for brining those to my attention though. Ratatouille has a very popular ride in France (although I agree, it wouldn't be my first choice) and IMO, Wall-e absolutely should have a ride as well. Wall-e merch still sells amazingly well for a property that old (which completely goes against our argument).

I also disagree about the longevity of Wreck-It and BH6. Both will most likely be ongoing franchises that have years of legs left on them. I imagine BH6 especially will actually grow in popularity as the years go by.

We'll see about the longevity of the recent Disney movies. Having sequels doesn't necessarily guarantee longevity. Up until recently, that was the Dreamworks approach. I can easily see Wreck It Again Ralph (I made up the name) turning into How To Train Your Dragon 2.

Where are you getting info on Wall-E merch? I did an article on Wall-E a while back and everything I read indicated that Wall-E merch was not heavily produced and did not sell well when the movie was released. No idea if the current merch sells well or not. What I have seen is largely upscale merch that I assume sells to a niche audience with a large disposable income.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's a good thing Disney isn't just plopping garbage Star Wars stuff quickly into the parks in order to damage that brand. I'm glad they're spending at least at long as Universal did with Harry Potter when they acquired those rights.

I am ok with taking the time to do it right, but my gripe is that if you are going to take the time, don't tease people with what your doing so early. Disney did a major tease about new Star Wars attractions almost two years ago at D23 and yet we still haven't seen anything concrete. I much prefer Universal's approach of not officially announcing something until it's actually close to or already under construction.

Agreed, I do wish Disney would just shut up about rides that aren't going to be built for 6 or 7 years, everyone knew Avatar was going to take that long but it hasn't stopped all of the complaints about how long it's all taking. But honestly, their announcements have amounted to little more than "it's going to be exciting" and "it's going to take awhile" for Star Wars. An ever changing budget has thrown a wrench into the timeline, but it's never been as if Star Wars was ever going to have anything done before 2018. I guess it's a good thing that they didn't place a definitive date on the project.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
We'll see about the longevity of the recent Disney movies. Having sequels doesn't necessarily guarantee longevity. Up until recently, that was the Dreamworks approach. I can easily see Wreck It Again Ralph (I made up the name) turning into How To Train Your Dragon 2.

Where are you getting info on Wall-E merch? I did an article on Wall-E a while back and everything I read indicated that Wall-E merch was not heavily produced and did not sell well when the movie was released. No idea if the current merch sells well or not. What I have seen is largely upscale merch that I assume sells to a niche audience with a large disposable income.

We did name one of our tractors WALL-E (a Bobcat with treads instead of wheels)...

MezzoMom45

I obviously completely disagree.

Thanks for brining those to my attention though. Ratatouille has a very popular ride in France (although I agree, it wouldn't be my first choice) and IMO, Wall-e absolutely should have a ride as well. Wall-e merch still sells amazingly well for a property that old (which completely goes against our argument).

We were in Disneyland Paris the day the Ratatouille attraction opened, and we got to ride it.It is trackless and combined 3D tech with scale size physical sets. It's very funny and exciting- and awesome. Why on EARTH WDW has not incorporated that kind of technology in any new rides yet is beyond me- but we can hope. I also agree that Wall-e and Baymax should get some attention, too.

ProfSavage

We were in Disneyland Paris the day the Ratatouille attraction opened, and we got to ride it.It is trackless and combined 3D tech with scale size physical sets. It's very funny and exciting- and awesome. Why on EARTH WDW has not incorporated that kind of technology in any new rides yet is beyond me- but we can hope. I also agree that Wall-e and Baymax should get some attention, too.

...because we're not allowed to have nice things? I dunno

ProfSavage

You no like the Tangled potty? :brb:

0f81608.jpg

GeneralZod

Why? Because the interwebz told you to hate it? If they would have built a bland sanitized area with no theming everyone would have complained about that too. It's no wonder they don't listen to their fans as they are damned either way.

I get really annoyed at sheeple and their internet bandwagoning.

MezzoMom45

...because we're not allowed to have nice things? I dunno

HA! Hardly ;) But between the Ratatouille ride and Crush's Coaster in DLP, it made me see what WDW could be doing here- and they aren't! It's frustrating. Both those rides are terrific and would translate well here in the States. Let's hope the new additions in the Star Wars area incorporate some of that technology.

MezzoMom45

Why? Because the interwebz told you to hate it? If they would have built a bland sanitized area with no theming everyone would have complained about that too. It's no wonder they don't listen to their fans as they are damned either way.

I agree! I seriously do NOT get the level of vitriol thrown at the "Frozen" stuff. Seriously. If it doesn't appeal to you personally, that's one thing. But to ignore the impact it has had on Disney culture (and that's exactly what this is, a culture) is simply being willfully ignorant or so blind to your own preferences that you can't think rationally any longer. Clearly the story resonates with bazillions of people (not just little girls) and it clearly isn't something that is going away. Heck, I played the "Frozen" Halloween drinking game with my friend this year (every time a kid shows up at your house dressed as Ana or Elsa, take a drink) and was buzzed by the end of the first hour! LOL! Just because it's not one of Walt's originals doesn't make it less worthy of being an attraction.

Now, you want to be ticked that Maelstrom is gone because of a Frozen attraction? I can understand that. I wasn't happy at all that Maelstrom is being replaced. But to say it shouldn't be an attraction at all? That's insane. I'm still a little ticked it took a bazillion years to get a real "Little Mermaid" attraction in WDW, but I'm glad it's here now!

Ignohippo

The reason the Tangled bathrooms are so criticized isn't because of the amazing theming, it's because it's such a TDO thing to do. They spend millions on an amazingly themed area, without any kind of content. They didn't even add a small area for a Repunzel of Flynn Rider M&G. It makes absolutely no sense.

It's all show and no substance.

Not that I'm against them using that area for Tangled in any way, but let's suppose they used that same area and themed it as Pixie Hollow instead (directly across from Peter Pan) and had included a Fairies M&G. It would have made a lot more sense and would have been much more functional.

GeneralZod

The reason the Tangled bathrooms are so criticized isn't because of the amazing theming, it's because it's such a TDO thing to do. They spend millions on an amazingly themed area, without any kind of content. They didn't even add a small area for a Repunzel of Flynn Rider M&G. It makes absolutely no sense.

Not that I'm against them using that area for Tangled in any way, but let's suppose they used that same area and themed it as Pixie Hollow instead (directly across from Peter Pan) and had included a Fairies M&G. It would have made a lot more sense and would have been much more functional.
I don't disagree with that whatsoever; however, that was not the context of the question. The question (asked mockingly) was whether rybarr liked the theming to which they replied no. They did a great job with the theming of that area, to say they didn't is just more internet hate. While we may not agree with their priorities, we as adult fans should be able to appreciate when they at least do something correctly.

Magenta Panther

I think having a Flynn and Rapunzel M&G next to a bathroom is kinda, eh...well, you know...I can hear the guests: "Hey, Rapunzel! Your bathroom is AWESOME! My family and I go there every year! It's the first thing we do when we visit the Magic Kingdom!" God, sometimes I really wonder about TDO...

gmajew

Premium Member

I disagree... that is why Disney and their parks are so much better then anything else out there.... You may not agree with it and would prefer walking in untamed or limited themed areas but I personally love being able to feel like I am in the setting of each world I enter.... That is what makes disney disney... that is what people keep forgetting.

It is not alway the new ride that thrills you to death it is the experience the walk through the que the seeing the story unfold. etc that makes disney so much better then everyone else.

Sure it was millions to create that theming but it ads a beauty to that area and yes just for bathrooms but man I don't want an Blue box lined up for me to use.

Ignohippo

I disagree... that is why Disney and their parks are so much better then anything else out there.... You may not agree with it and would prefer walking in untamed or limited themed areas but I personally love being able to feel like I am in the setting of each world I enter.... That is what makes disney disney... that is what people keep forgetting.

It is not alway the new ride that thrills you to death it is the experience the walk through the que the seeing the story unfold. etc that makes disney so much better then everyone else.

Sure it was millions to create that theming but it ads a beauty to that area and yes just for bathrooms but man I don't want an Blue box lined up for me to use.

That's my point. The criticism isn't because they are beautifully themed (which is what many who truly love the area think). The criticism is because there's no substance (no actual attraction) in the area for Tangled.

Of course everyone would take a beautifully themed area (even if it's just bathrooms) than just a generic area with no theming.

Ignohippo

I think having a Flynn and Rapunzel M&G next to a bathroom is kinda, eh...well, you know...I can hear the guests: "Hey, Rapunzel! Your bathroom is AWESOME! My family and I go there every year! It's the first thing we do when we visit the Magic Kingdom!" God, sometimes I really wonder about TDO...

I can see how, in your warped mind, you'd see the negative to having a M&G in the area. I don't think anyone else would complain about a M&G just because it was in the general vicinity of the bathrooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom