News Disney Explores Amazon Prime-Like Membership Program to Offer Discounts and Perks

Tom P.

Disney's US parks are not what they used to be. They once were the best, they are now just a step above 6 Flags now. They are still tons of fun but they are no where at the level of the Disney of old. Guest satisfaction used to be priority, now guest wallets are the priority. Good show used to mean something, now good show is lip service.

I loved Disney so much that I was a CM for 5 years when I lived in FL. Now, I'm not sure I want to go back and I left with a rehire status.
I just don't get this. I really don't. And I know people just say I'm a Disney apologist or corporate shill or whatever. But I cannot understand the kinds of comparisons you are making. Saying that Disney is just a step above Six Flags?

I absolutely agree that the Disney parks are not what they used to be. No question. But I've been to Cedar Fair parks. I live just a couple hours from King's Island, which is one of their crown jewels. I've been to Dollywood. I've seen many other parks besides Disney. And while you could make a legitimate argument over Universal vs. Disney, when it comes to any of the "other" parks, I just don't think any comes even remotely close to Walt Disney World. Yes, even the Walt Disney World of today.

Tha Realest

I know I've been a Debbie downer for the last few years. I was as big of a defender of Disney as there was. But I have to call a spade a spade. My vacation isn't free. So when costs go up, and they go up well above inflation. I just can't forgive them for giving me a lesser experience. Of course you can still have a good time at the parks. A bad day at Disney is better than my job for sure. But I think it's a bit unfair to say people aren't fans because they criticize Disneys decisions.

This encapsulates my view on how Disney is emerging from the pandemic. No problem raising prices, bringing on reservation system, cutting AP allotments, cutting what was once free, dialing back on housekeeping and other usual benefits, but then want to be able to make excuses for this stuff and blame it on the pandemic.
EB1DA804-BA6E-49F9-9A3C-67BC1511DD29.jpeg

Jrb1979

I just don't get this. I really don't. And I know people just say I'm a Disney apologist or corporate shill or whatever. But I cannot understand the kinds of comparisons you are making. Saying that Disney is just a step above Six Flags?

I absolutely agree that the Disney parks are not what they used to be. No question. But I've been to Cedar Fair parks. I live just a couple hours from King's Island, which is one of their crown jewels. I've been to Dollywood. I've seen many other parks besides Disney. And while you could make a legitimate argument over Universal vs. Disney, when it comes to any of the "other" parks, I just don't think any comes even remotely close to Walt Disney World. Yes, even the Walt Disney World of today.
Theming wise yeah Disney is top notch. Customer service, newest attractions and up charges they have downgraded. Maybe visit some of these other parks and open your eyes.

Tom P.

Theming wise yeah Disney is top notch. Customer service, newest attractions and up charges they have downgraded. Maybe visit some of these other parks and open your eyes.
Yes, because I can't have a different opinion unless I haven't opened my eyes. And did you miss the part where I said I have visited the other parks? I still say Disney is the best. That is my opinion. It is different from yours, but that doesn't make it wrong.

Jrb1979

Yes, because I can't have a different opinion unless I haven't opened my eyes. And did you miss the part where I said I have visited the other parks? I still say Disney is the best. That is my opinion. It is different from yours, but that doesn't make it wrong.
It depends on what you are looking for. If you want family friendly rides that everyone can ride sure. For my family they lack enough thrill for us. Who doesn't like a coaster that you grey out on going down the first drop.

hopemax

When I go to Disney I can no longer feel confident that when I am in a quick service restaurant, the beverage I want to drink is available.

When I go to Disney I can no longer feel confident that when I enter a queue the ride will be operational when (if!) I reach the front.

When I go to Disney I can no longer feel confident that when I ask a question about merchandise the CM will know what I'm talking about, or even be able to locate it in the store.

When I stay at a Disney resort I can no longer feel confident that the room will be properly cleaned and the mechanicals will be operational. (I have not stayed on property since 2015, but every personal friend that has stayed onsite has had a problem with things left in a room when they check in, something not working, threadbare towels, etc.)

These are failures of business being able to perform its primary function. I definitely don't have these problems at Universal. I've only visited SeaWorld twice, but did not have these problems, and I don't live in an area with Six Flags parks. Can I go to Disney and get the correct drink, and experience attractions, and buy merchandise. Sure, but it's the *confidence* that's missing. It's like I'm playing roulette depending on what I need or ask.

homerdance

The only thing I can see this “prime like” offering being is something most of us will see no value in. I honestly see this more of them doing something like being the first to be able to buy collectibles at shopDisney or access to early shopping events at WDW. And a early access windows for special events/specials/hotel/cruise bookings. Now, it goes club 33& golden oak residents, then dvc/APs, then chase, then general public, could see them inserting a layer for Disney Prince Special financing offers for Disney vacation.

There isn’t a lot of value for Disney to start offering discounts to people who are paying full price now.

Who knows, maybe this is a replacement for the chase benefits.

LSLS

I was at cedar point last week. They have a lot of work still to do on food, and obviously they don't have near the theming. But cedar points customer service is steps above WDW right now. And the ability to just go and ride things without needing 4 guides is a big thing. Their goal isn't to outdo Disney in themeing, but there are areas they are dangerously close on which I would have found impossible to consider 10 years ago.

Tom P.

It depends on what you are looking for. If you want family friendly rides that everyone can ride sure. For my family they lack enough thrill for us. Who doesn't like a coaster that you grey out on going down the first drop.
Okay, see, this makes sense. You like thrill rides and that is not Disney's forte. So for you, Disney parks might not be the best choice. But for other people, thrill rides aren't the focus and they may prefer what Disney has to offer. Nothing wrong with that either way.

My issue was with your statement that I should visit other parks and open my eyes, as if I am somehow a fan of the Disney parks because I'm blind to what they are or what other parks are, which is not true. I'm not saying everyone has to love Walt Disney World, but to argue that someone is somehow ignorant if they do is what I have a problem with.

Tom P.

I was at cedar point last week. They have a lot of work still to do on food, and obviously they don't have near the theming. But cedar points customer service is steps above WDW right now. And the ability to just go and ride things without needing 4 guides is a big thing. Their goal isn't to outdo Disney in themeing, but there are areas they are dangerously close on which I would have found impossible to consider 10 years ago.
That's interesting. It has been a very long time since I was at Cedar Point. My most recent experiences with Cedar Fair parks would be at King's Island. So I can't speak to that specific park's customer service. And I hear people talk constantly about how the quality of guest service has declined at Disney. But all I can do is evaluate on my own personal experience, which is to say that I've never had a single issue with guest service at Disney. Maybe my family and I are just incredibly lucky. I don't know. But that's my experience.

hopemax

What beverage of choice has been unavailable at a QSR?
I have explained a few times the things that have happened.

I went to Sunset Ranch at DHS and was told there was no Coke. This was pre-pandemic, so no "supply chain" issues.

Friend was at Captain Cooks and wanted a Coke. Tried all the taps and got the carbonated soda, gave up and tried to get Orange. Because she had tried so many times, the cup cut her off when it was half full (limited to 3 refills). When she went to the CM to get some resolution, the CM just froze and didn't know what to do. Friend never got a refund or a full cup of soda.

Two weeks ago friend was at Caribbean Beach, the Cherry Coke tap was dispensing rootbeer.

UNCgolf

I have explained a few times the things that have happened.

I went to Sunset Ranch at DHS and was told there was no Coke. This was pre-pandemic, so no "supply chain" issues.

Friend was at Captain Cooks and wanted a Coke. Tried all the taps and got the carbonated soda, gave up and tried to get Orange. Because she had tried so many times, the cup cut her off when it was half full (limited to 3 refills). When she went to the CM to get some resolution, the CM just froze and didn't know what to do. Friend never got a refund or a full cup of soda.

Two weeks ago friend was at Caribbean Beach, the Cherry Coke tap was dispensing rootbeer.

This happened to me at the POR food court a few years ago, although in that case a CM just gave me a new cup.

Indy_UK

Sure if that's all you look for in an attraction. Outside of Rise their latest attractions haven't been that good. Webslingers at DCA is awful, Remy is meh and Guardians while a decent coaster just another screen based ride. Velicoaster beats everyone of those.

Whether people like it or not, it’s the IP these days that bring people into the parks. Velicoaster probably won’t have had so much hype if it wasn’t Jurassic based.

LSLS

That's interesting. It has been a very long time since I was at Cedar Point. My most recent experiences with Cedar Fair parks would be at King's Island. So I can't speak to that specific park's customer service. And I hear people talk constantly about how the quality of guest service has declined at Disney. But all I can do is evaluate on my own personal experience, which is to say that I've never had a single issue with guest service at Disney. Maybe my family and I are just incredibly lucky. I don't know. But that's my experience.

I'm not sure I've had bad experience, but it's been noticeable there are less smiles and a lot more stress on cast member faces. Basically, cedar point workers seemed a lot happier and to be enjoying work, while Disney workers were not as much. Just little things. Like we were on the scrambler ride, and as the guy is who going around checking the locks is fist bumping the little kids on the ride.

UNCgolf

Which is what friend expected. And was shocked when it didn’t happen. That’s why it was an example of a loss in confidence.

I think it's a problem with the chipped cups in general. I understand the purpose, but it's a tremendous hassle for guests without being a huge issue for Disney. The profit margins on selling soda are astronomical (which is, of course, why Disney is trying to limit it so they can make even more money).

They should get rid of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom