News Disney Explores Amazon Prime-Like Membership Program to Offer Discounts and Perks

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Nothing you quoted of mine is indicative of me saying they want more customers. They want customers paying more.

It's not really about your post, but the fact that Disney keeps trying to sell this "we don't want more people in the parks" nonsense yet they are going out of their way to try and create "cross-promotional opportunities" that ultimately attempt to draw more people into the parks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - They want as many people in the parks as possible paying as much as possible. They cannot make more money off of fewer people unless they are willing to at least double the price of everything.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
That is not correct.
I'm curious how that math works, then. If a guest spends an average of $250 in the parks per day (including ticket, food, beverages, and merchandise), and let's say they raise ticket prices by $50/day and draw fewer people with everything else the same, you're saying that 20 million * $250/person/day = 15 million * $300/person/day?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'm curious how that math works, then. If a guest spends an average of $250 in the parks per day (including ticket, food, beverages, and merchandise), and let's say they raise ticket prices by $50/day and draw fewer people with everything else the same, you're saying that 20 million * $250/person/day = 15 million * $300/person/day?
Obviously that wouldn't work. But it would if the $300 price resulted in 19 million guests.

We don't know how many fewer guests Disney guests with what type of price increase. But if they can raise prices 25% and only result in 5% lower attendance, that's a win for them.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Obviously that wouldn't work. But it would if the $300 price resulted in 19 million guests.

Right, but 1 million fewer guests at MK over the course of a year is 2750 fewer guests per day on average. That's not going to do much to reduce wait times, congestion, or lines for food. The only thing people are going to see out of that is a larger charge on their credit card with a negligent amount of "improvement" in their park-going experience.

If that's truly the goal of all the blather from the Bob's about 'fewer consumers in the parks", then they're selling everyone a bill of goods.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Right, but 1 million fewer guests at MK over the course of a year is 2750 fewer guests per day on average. That's not going to do much to reduce wait times, congestion, or lines for food.

If that's truly the goal of all the blather from the Bob's about 'fewer consumers in the parks", then they're selling everyone a bill of goods.
Those comments have been misconstrued. I don't think they've ever said anything about wanting fewer guests total. They want fewer guests Christmas week, and Easter week, and peak summer. Those are the times when attendance is so brutal that the guest is severely impacted. I don't think they have any interest in reducing attendance mid-September.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Those comments have been misconstrued. I don't think they've ever said anything about wanting fewer guests total. They want fewer guests Christmas week, and Easter week, and peak summer. Those are the times when attendance is so brutal that the guest is severely impacted. I don't think they have any interest in reducing attendance mid-September.

Thank you. Can I quote this every time some toolbag talks about "Bob said they wanted fewer consumers in the parks"? :)

So what is the response when they start saying, "ticket price increases are designed to reduce attendance"? ;)

LSLS

Your assumption is the averages stay the same. I think the thought is that the people that drop out from an extra $50 per day tickets probably were probably the ones bringing that average down. So if 5 million of those people only spent $150 a day and could not afford the extra $50/ day, and the other 15 million added that $50 to their daily budget, it equals out.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Your assumption is the averages stay the same. I think the thought is that the people that drop out from an extra $50 per day tickets probably were probably the ones bringing that average down. So if 5 million of those people only spent $150 a day and could not afford the extra $50/ day, and the other 15 million added that $50 to their daily budget, it equals out.

Possibly. But raising ticket prices also shrinks the pool of consumers. Raise them $50 across the board and a family of 4 (2 parents, 2 children above the age of 3) could be paying, even when accounting for the "discount" you get on a 7 day park hopper, roughly an extra $1000 for their tickets. That's not change they can find in their couch cushions.

Of course, that gets rid of more of the poors, so the more well-heeled who still think WDW is some magical value can have a couple thousand fewer of the unwashed masses in the parks when they go.

Basil of Baker Street

How are people thinking Amazon Prime saves money? I used to have it until it hit $100/year. Any orders over $25 gets free shipping anyway. Rarely do I ever have less than $25 in my cart. It may take 4 days instead of 2 but if I'm in that big of rush for something, I'll hit up a brick and mortar. As far as their streaming service..It used to be pretty terrible. Maybe it better now.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
try and create "cross-promotional opportunities" that ultimately attempt to draw more people into the parks.
Not all promotions are for attending the parks. There are promotions for upsells for those in the parks. And for cruises. And for merch. And for "Adventures by Disney" and for streaming.

All the stuff which isn't theme park tickets already mentioned in this thread.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It hasn't thus far.

It has not, but the kind of price hikes some around here advocate would. Of course, that would also bring an onslaught of negative PR, too, but that's not their concern. Disney is invincible, it's a business, they're leaving money on table, yadda yadda yadda.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It has not, but the kind of price hikes some around here advocate would. Of course, that would also bring an onslaught of negative PR, too, but that's not their concern. Disney is invincible, it's a business, they're leaving money on table, yadda yadda yadda.
Yeah, the price hikes to control peak times of overcrowding didn't work. People just kept paying and showing up.

That's why the reservation system is in place. Disney doesn't *have to* keep raising prices enormously to control crowds. They can raise them incrementally to hide and soften the sticker shock.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Any chance @wdwmagic can setup an auto replace on these boards so that whenever anyone types, "guests" it's replaced with "unfavorable attendance mix"?
This might help you.

"Unfavorable Mix" illustrated.

View attachment 660861

In 2021 I sold 100 fruits. In 2022 I sold 105 fruits. I also raised prices on every type of fruit. So volume is up and prices are up across the board, yet my revenue went down. Why? Because I had Unfavorable Mix. Given the choice, I'd much rather sell Apples and Oranges, but 2022 had a big increase in Bananas that hurt my average revenue per unit sold.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom