News Disney Explores Amazon Prime-Like Membership Program to Offer Discounts and Perks

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Disney does some things I like. They do some things that I hate. Most of the things I hate are the kind of things we're forbidden to talk about on these boards and that I'd be called a bigot for expressing, so we'll let that go. But there's also lots I like about Disney and, particularly, the parks.

My point, though, was that I don't believe many of the posters here are Disney fans. I don't buy the whole "oh, we *love* Disney, but *real* Disney, the way it was before it became a greedy hellhole and we're only fighting for what we love" shtick. I think we have a lot of people posting here who are just angry for the sake of being angry and really enjoy getting on a forum and bashing Disney. And I really truly do believe that the same group of people would never be pleased with anything Disney did, because they *want* to be mad at Disney. Sometimes getting angry can be fun.

So that's where I stand.
And this is my point…this is the hill you’re camped out on, huh?

Robber baron tactics are “no problem”…but not adhering to the “ideals” of the dead or soon to be dead is just out of bounds?

I’ll move along now.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Your own Mickey waffle maker? Grow up!!! You want a Darth Vader waffle maker!!!

LSLS

Honestly it's not an awful idea, but I'd be curious how it would work. As many have stated, they are VERY specialized in their offerings. People pay for something like Prime because they are constantly needing to order random things. Even if you are a big Disney person, you can't be ordering all that often from the Disney shops. And I can't imagine too many people needing year long memberships for parks things. So what can they offer that can justify it? I'm wondering if it's not going to be a ton (maybe free shipping from Shop Disney, a couple special perks at parks, etc.), BUT, it is included if you pay for the add free version of Disney+.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Your own Mickey waffle maker? Grow up!!! You want a Darth Vader waffle maker!!!

If I recall…they had those Star Wars air fryers/pressure cookers in Williams Sonoma?

They looked so out of place 😂

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's because no matter what people here think, the Disney product buying public isn't Amazon sized.
Oh not even close…

Most adults - I know, shocking 😱- in the western world have zero interest in having Disney labels on their every day life items.

There’s counselors available to speak with anyone who’s just learning this right now…👨🏻‍⚕️

dreday3

That's because no matter what people here think, the Disney product buying public isn't Amazon sized.

Oh not even close…

Most adults - I know, shocking 😱- in the western world have zero interest in having Disney labels on their every day life items.

There’s counselors available to speak with anyone who’s just learning this right now…👨🏻‍⚕️

All my Disney products (save the gorgeous Mickey Haunt Hourglass I purchased) in my home are gifted to me by one family member. She seems to think because we go to WDW, that means I want all Disney products. 😂

We have so many Micky Mouse glass storage bowls.... I appreciate her though, so we just smile and say thanks.

kingdead

So where did I say this gave the consumer an advantage?
I will add, Amazon Prime NOW is not what Amazon Prime WAS.
This has been coming once Disney got Disney + going. The key will be moving all Disney merch ONLY to this site, and no longer offering materials to Amazon at least for a period of time to drive memberships.

IF they can also throw in some park benefits - like earlier pass ordering or park reservations, or access to some Resort discounts that others can't get, it will succeed and do very well.

Just have to wait and see what it really is.

I also assume Disney could move movie releases from theaters to Disney + to the "Prime" members first, to give even more edge.
I'm assuming that Prime members would get first access to popular product--Star Wars, Marvel, some of the movies. Regular subscribers would get the goods two weeks after, and the lowly ad-supported viewer would have to wait a month.

Disney obviously doesn't have the reach of Bezos's warehouse empire, so this would be the way to force consumers who aren't necessarily interested in the parks to pay up.

Indy_UK

With the ad supported version of Disney+ on the way I think this ‘Prime’ service they are on about will end up being included in the ad free version which will get a $4-5 a month bump

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You don't have to have a broad diversity of products to have a membership plan. Door Dash has a membership plan. AMC has a membership plan. You don't have to sell toilet paper and diamond rings to have a membership plan.

Cross product sales for Disney includes: their streamers, their parks, their cruises, their sight-seeing trips ('adventures'), and their merch. Lots and lots and lots of merch. That doesn't sound so broad, but think about everything in the parks that is a separate price from the entry ticket can be membership-ized: food, special events, all the upsells, tours, lounges, premium seating, Lightning Lanes, etc...

Not to mention going into new markets they haven't touched yet.

But they don't want more people in the parks, remember?

kingdead

With the ad supported version of Disney+ on the way I think this ‘Prime’ service they are on about will end up being included in the ad free version which will get a $4-5 a month bump
Oh, that makes sense too. You get early product drops and maaaaybe a discount on the store if you switch to the higher tier. Maybe free entry into the magical Disney metaverse? (Not free perks at the flesh and blood parks, Disney knows that you guys are hooked 🙂)

People are broke right now, watching Obi Wan with ads isn't that big a sacrifice. However, being spoiled on your favorite shows and not getting to play the new Disney games might be enough of a reason to stretch that credit a little further.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom