News Disney Explores Amazon Prime-Like Membership Program to Offer Discounts and Perks

csmat99

I know that part of this will be to make sure DVC members that bought from Disney will have huge advantage versus those who bought from reseller. wouldn't surprise me if Disney finally will allow DVC members for a monthly price get AP passes, D +, discount on merch, free shipping, etc.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I know that part of this will be to make sure DVC members that bought from Disney will have huge advantage versus those who bought from reseller. wouldn't surprise me if Disney finally will allow DVC members for a monthly price get AP passes, D +, discount on merch, free shipping, etc.
DVC members are not feeling the love from Disney over the last few years so they definitely need to give them a little benefit in whatever this is they are coming up with

Beacon Joe

DVC members are not feeling the love from Disney over the last few years so they definitely need to give them a little benefit in whatever this is they are coming up with
With ROFR, and selling canceled contracts to new people, does Disney really have any incentive to give more benefits to DVC members? It seems like a cash cow with a never ending or continuously refreshing consumer base.

Like others have said, I think the biggest issue to an idea like this is actually brining it in company wide across all divisions and countries.

That's where this would be interesting to watch from the sidelines. They already have systems and customer data integration problems as it is. Maybe if the expected revenue from this friction and profit exercise is high enough, they'll finally invest time and resources to solve their longstanding CDI issues.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Are you under the impression that you don't get free shipping without Prime? You do. It's just slower. Paying for Prime is paying to upgrade your shipping speed, it doesn't save you anything.
There are a lot of orders I need next or 2-day.

But I certainly stay away from their other subscription services.

ppete1975

I for one hate all of this tracking. I dont want apple, disney, amazon or anyone knowing my habits (and we should have to consent to this)
To these corporations we are just ...
1662057985156.png

hopemax

I'm not, which is my entire point. I don't see why most people would subscribe to this if it's not going to save them money.
Have you met people?

People sign up for stuff they don't use enough all the time. It used to be gym memberships and magazine subscriptions, and now it's a bunch of streaming services and subscription boxes. It all sounds like a great idea at the time, but then actual life raises its hand and then people forget they're paying $X a month. Every once in awhile there's that month where you are excited about the 5 things came out that were "included" forgetting about the other 11 months you paid for nothing.

DH, who is really good about these things, got sucked into Alamo Draft House's Movie Pass thing. $19.99 a month, which means he needs to go to a minimum of 2 movies. In May, June, no problem. Except, he doesn't want to go alone, and so we have to buy my ticket, and I need popcorn and a soda which are now like $15. So we pay $25 so he can see a "free" movie. I'm going to win this battle eventually, but right now he just keeps looking at the upcoming schedule for releases of Asian films and 80s movies he's seen too many times already. I need to just buy him periodic gift cards that don't expire.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
CNBC pumping $DIS big on this.

(The stock isn't moving.)
It will move tomorrow, when the guvmint reports 600k new jobs in the weekly jobs report. Everything is great, the economy is booming, and unprecedented demand will continue ad infinitum!!!

Or....

The economy isn't all that and a dozen roses, travel demand is slacking (I think major US airlines have reported demand is starting to fall), and Disney didn't put out an additional AP merch discount plus regular room discounts because they are excited about the next few months. The CFO's comment in the quarterly discussion about "intent to visit" was telling, to me. They aren't reporting just confirmed bookings, they are starting to talk about "intent to visit" now? What is that based on? I'd like to know. Disney has never sent us a survey asking if we intend to visit sometime in the next xx months.

This is probably the wrong thread for all that, eh? :)

UNCgolf

Have you met people?

People sign up for stuff they don't use enough all the time. It used to be gym memberships and magazine subscriptions, and now it's a bunch of streaming services and subscription boxes. It all sounds like a great idea at the time, but then actual life raises its hand and then people forget they're paying $X a month. Every once in awhile there's that month where you are excited about the 5 things came out that were "included" forgetting about the other 11 months you paid for nothing.

DH, who is really good about these things, got sucked into Alamo Draft House's Movie Pass thing. $19.99 a month, which means he needs to go to a minimum of 2 movies. In May, June, no problem. Except, he doesn't want to go alone, and so we have to buy my ticket, and I need popcorn and a soda which are now like $15. So we pay $25 so he can see a "free" movie. I'm going to win this battle eventually, but right now he just keeps looking at the upcoming schedule for releases of Asian films and 80s movies he's seen too many times already. I need to just buy him periodic gift cards that don't expire.

Oh absolutely, and this is likely what Disney is hoping will happen.

There has to be some sort of proffered value/savings to get people to sign up in the first place, though, and I think that might be difficult. Most people don't go to Disney parks often enough to subscribe to a service revolving around them, and while I don't think Disney intends it to be solely about the parks, I'm not really sure what else they can offer. Disney+ already exists as a thing, so... what else is there? Discounts on merchandise?

I suppose they could do something like $25 a month (completely random number there) gets you access to Disney+ and also comes with whatever additional benefits. People might be willing to shell out the extra thinking that they're basically just paying for Disney+ and everything else is a bonus that they can take advantage of when they do visit parks etc.

hopemax

What I find a little crazy about this, is on the other thread people are going on about the necessity of pursuing the industry standard of ala carte pricing. And then now this seems like it's the reverse, package everything back up together for one regular fee. Disney needs to pick what company it wants to be, not chase a bunch of different company styles at once.

Also, the execs in Burbank may be all willing to play along, but I can't see the lower level managers being onboard when their best customers (the ones most likely to buy in) are having their dollars siphoned off to this new venture while they are expected to still increase margins quarter by quarter. Same problem with the Dining Program where the individual restaurants had their costs based on what people actually ordered, but were only getting credited a fixed amount. We saw what happened, fewer choices, cheaper choices, and Alfredo's saying, "To heck with this, we're out rather than be forced into something that will make us lower our standards." I really don't trust Disney to do this well.

CaptainAmerica

Same problem with the Dining Program where the individual restaurants had their costs based on what people actually ordered, but were only getting credited a fixed amount.
That is a myth. Individual restaurant P&Ls received credit for the menu price of items ordered, and the offset for the difference between the menu price and the value of a dining credit was accounted for centrally.

Tha Realest

The economy isn't all that and a dozen roses, travel demand is slacking (I think major US airlines have reported demand is starting to fall), and Disney didn't put out an additional AP merch discount plus regular room discounts because they are excited about the next few months. The CFO's comment in the quarterly discussion about "intent to visit" was telling, to me. They aren't reporting just confirmed bookings, they are starting to talk about "intent to visit" now? What is that based on? I'd like to know. Disney has never sent us a survey asking if we intend to visit sometime in the next xx months.
Over the last week I've been hit with no less than three sale fares by Southwest urging me to travel in the next few weeks. Discounts of 20%-25% (unfortunately they don't apply to my current plans). But, this coming after a year+ of nothing.

Similarly, I don't believe there were any fall discounts for Disney hotels last year, other than like one week in December. Now? A 25% rollout for APs. And the 30% AP discount for merchandise.

While we aren't privy to internal numbers, there are a lot of indicators suggesting the travel boom is slowing.

Incidentally, anyone looked at the availability for the Galactic Starcruiser lately?

Animaniac93-98

While we aren't privy to internal numbers, there are a lot of indicators suggesting the travel boom is slowing.

Perhaps the near-daily reports of cancelled flights, lost luggage, and the general chaos of air travel atm has dampened some consumers' interest in going anywhere right way, even if they'd like to.

There has undoubtedly been a travel boom, but the industry was not entirely prepared for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom