Disney executives have come up with the answer to rock bottom Cast Member morale

eliza61nyc

I was watching an episode of Graham Norton the other day...Will Smith and several other stars were on. Naomie Harris told a story about how she asked Will where he got the energy to interact with all the fans in between nearly every shot while on set. His response was "Every person you meet is going through something, and we have the opportunity to add a little bit of happiness and light into someone's day, so why not do it."

Words we could all stand to keep in mind as we go through life on this big rock.
oh absolutely and I think folks who work for John q. public definitely have to put up with a lot of crap. look at the nonsense flight attendants are dealing with now a days.
Bruce Willis is another gentlemen who supposedly treats everyone from head of studio to the grip boy nicely.

SamusAranX

1. CA’s minimum wage goes up to $15 next year, though many localities already have $15 or higher.

2. Here’s a story about a pizza chain that is somehow able to pay its employees $16/hr, stay in business, and not charge $50 for a pizza. Crazy!

3. In San Diego county restaurants aren’t cutting their staff or their hours to pay minimum wage. Some restaurants do add a 3-4% surcharge to your bill to “cover the cost of increased wages”. They should just raise their menu prices and be honest about it but whatever.

4. CA we doesn’t have tipped minimum wage. Servers make the same minimum wage as people working at Target. Or the Dollar store.

5. Minimum wage should allow a person to get by with rent, basic bills, and food. For example, if Kroeger can do a $1 billion buyback for shareholders and raise the CEO’s pay 45% to $20.7 this year, they can afford to pay their employees a decent wage, not cut their pay and close stores out of spite.

Probably should do math on the bolded.

Kroger currently has approximately 453k employees. If you divided that 1 Billion evenly, it would equate to about 42 extra dollars a week for each employee, and that’s before taxes. Is an extra 30 dollars a week going to suddenly make it a living wage?

Lilofan

I was watching an episode of Graham Norton the other day...Will Smith and several other stars were on. Naomie Harris told a story about how she asked Will where he got the energy to interact with all the fans in between nearly every shot while on set. His response was "Every person you meet is going through something, and we have the opportunity to add a little bit of happiness and light into someone's day, so why not do it."

Words we could all stand to keep in mind as we go through life on this big rock.
Good points. Many years ago I stayed at a resort where the Chicago Bulls were staying at during the playoffs. I can tell you from experience the ones who were smiling willing to talk and did to fans including kids were (3) individuals, Phil Jackson the coach in his Grateful Dead the dye T shirt, and players Steve Kerr ( current NBA coach ) and Toni Kukoc . They were the most down to earth guys. The most arrogant and would walk right past you pushing you out of the way were specifically Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen. The one who seemed to be under the influence in his words and actions was Dennis Rodman. He was a freak with tremendous athletic talent and that is midly speaking. The funniest conversation I had with a celebrity by far was with actor Bill Murray.

kpilcher

I'll conceded that having the ability to know the product is one plus of having free admission. I can't tell you how disgusted it made me as a CM working with people who knew nothing about the parks. It was something I wish could have been punished.
You’re coming across really cold and hard-lined on multiple fronts. Not sure if that’s your intent. A few points:

Central Florida is largely a tourism-based economy. There has been some diversification in the past decade or so, but not as much as some would have you believe. Tens of thousands of hotel rooms will always need someone to clean the rooms. Attractions will always need mechanics and upkeep, even if jobs like ride ops can (and likely will) be reduced. These People need to be able to survive to make the industry work. No workers. No Magic.

As to your notion Disney should cut back on free passes as an either/or for higher pay, I say to you there is absolutely no reason for that to be true. It literally costs Disney nothing to offer free passes to its hard-working cast. As many limitations have been put in place (even before COVID) it’s a financial rounding error of a benefit.

Sine reopening, I‘ve personally seen CMs endure all kinds of unwarranted anger and abuse from entitled people complaining about masks, lack of fastpasses, closures, reservations, et al. They deserve to be compensated fairly for what are essential jobs to the operation. Perks like passes help make up for the indignities from people they would like to say more to than “Have a magical day.“

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
still not sure where the OP got this from? I haven’t heard anything about this.

For the record there still has been no confirmation that these actually exist.

I can confirm the OP info. The MK belief statement was announced from the castle stage to about 10,000 cast who were at the Happily Ever After preview.

Dutch Inn '76

This is not unique to Disney.

We (big company) get "employee spotlight" emails each week, telling us how great we are.

And we got a pin to let us know we are appreciated.
I visited a friend at work a few years ago. He works at the HQ of a F500 retail corporation that is in almost everyone's neighborhood. They all wear uniforms to work, just as they do in the stores. That part was strange enough to me... Then, they all got in a huddle and did a cheer and sang a song about how great the company was! I was floored. I had a hard time even speaking after that nonsense.

It was the strangest moment of my life, where I wanted to LOL at someone but couldn't since I didn't want to hurt my friend. Anyway, Dreday is absolutely right. Corporate nonsense is not unique to The Mouse.

lightguy

Probably should do math on the bolded.

Kroger currently has approximately 453k employees. If you divided that 1 Billion evenly, it would equate to about 42 extra dollars a week for each employee, and that’s before taxes. Is an extra 30 dollars a week going to suddenly make it a living wage?
A large proportion...probably a large majority...of those 453,000 employees are part time. So this calculation is misleading

sup

get an education not matter how hard it is or time consuming. Go to night school. Just get the education OR work for the minimum wage man. Having conceptual dyslexia, school is not my fav. friend. I didn't it. I did what it took. I went to a learning center and they taught me how I learn differently. I graduated with my Masters degree in Social Work 21 years ago. I took the state boards and am an Licensed Clinical Social Worker, (LCSW). It was hard but way better than minimum wage. If I can do it, anyone can. Get your education.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Wellll, we know cast member morale is at an all-time low.. but it was either spend money on you, or do the more important, critical task of removing Trader Sam and Brer Rabbit. Hope you understand.

SamusAranX

A large proportion...probably a large majority...of those 453,000 employees are part time. So this calculation is misleading
No, it's not misleading. I am talking a straight division of the 1 billion, regardless of hours. If you want to get technical, it would be a yearly bonus of 2k+.

castlecake2.0

Ive got part of the solution! What if guests were .... courteous to Cast? Like say “hello” “please” “thank you”... watching how guests are to cast lately is astonishing. If visitors have just a bit more respect to cast Im sure cast would be a bit happier.

example from this morning:
CM: hi, how are you today?
Guest: Wheres the bathroom

how bout “good thank you, can you tell me where the bathrooms are?

Not totally going to fix morale, but I’m sure would make them feel better

skypilot2922

I visited a friend at work a few years ago. He works at the HQ of a F500 retail corporation that is in almost everyone's neighborhood. They all wear uniforms to work, just as they do in the stores. That part was strange enough to me... Then, they all got in a huddle and did a cheer and sang a song about how great the company was! I was floored. I had a hard time even speaking after that nonsense.

It was the strangest moment of my life, where I wanted to LOL at someone but couldn't since I didn't want to hurt my friend. Anyway, Dreday is absolutely right. Corporate nonsense is not unique to The Mouse.

Don't visit a japanese company first thing in the morning then especially a factory floor After calisthenics comes the singing of the company song and yes everyone is in uniform. A suit with white shirt and narrow black tie for the 'salarymen' and uniforms on the production floor with the company name boldly emblazoned on it.

Lilofan

Don't visit a japanese company first thing in the morning then especially a factory floor After calisthenics comes the singing of the company song and yes everyone is in uniform. A suit with white shirt and narrow black tie for the 'salarymen' and uniforms on the production floor with the company name boldly emblazoned on it.
You will not see that in an American company.

Lilofan

You will if it's managed by a japanese management team who report to a Japan HQ as @Dutch Inn '76 had his mind blown by a few posts back. Some branches of Takeda pharmaceuticals are like this Little islands of Japan in the midst of the US. Heck that was the whole premise of the movie and TV series Gung Ho
Gung Ho movie from the 1980s was a classic and yes American made cars back then were trash ( my Olds and Chevy for example ).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom