Disney executives have come up with the answer to rock bottom Cast Member morale

celluloid

Hard to argue any of that. Disney is a nice place for a secondary income or a 2nd job. I wouldn't want to try and raise a family on it.

And a good argument can be made that it is really not even that anymore. They require at least one full Weekend day and one full weekday or at least have for a long time. You can't easily have a full time job that gives you a random weekday and weekend day from 7am to 11pm availability.
And when you are fortunate enough to, it certainly is not healthy.
It is more of a seasonal and college program game with the occasional retiree that wants to be active with the perks or the superfans that are hopeful and keep saying yes.

rk03221

I worked at Disney for a few years in the 2010s. Never in my life, even til this day have I ever worked under the most incompetent management than at Disney. Hiring management straight out of college with no experience over long time experienced cast members without degrees does not work in that business. I witnessed a 20 year tenured cm get screamed and belittled over something really stupid by a 23 year old. That’s widespread in the company and long story short

celluloid

I worked at Disney for a few years in the 2010s. Never in my life, even til this day have I ever worked under the most incompetent management than at Disney. Hiring management straight out of college with no experience over long time experienced cast members without degrees does not work in that business. I witnessed a 20 year tenured cm get screamed and belittled over something really stupid by a 23 year old. That’s widespread in the company and long story short

This. I was there in 2011. Saw much of the same thing and back in my spring chicken like days I also worked for Universal and SeaWorld. None of the major theme park roles I had at the time were cushy or easy, but my time Disney both in the parks and at the Reservation Center was by far the most volatile.

Lilofan

Didn't you have HR you could have expressed your concerns too?

kingdead

Ok why then are people taking $10 an hour jobs when they know first hand it don't pay the bills? If you look online there are no experience warehouse jobs starting between $17-20 dollars an hour in the Orlando area so if you want a job at Disney or for some odd reason a front desk hotel job for $10 an hour then the blame falls directly on the person applying.

Enough with the excuses or feeling of entitlement. If people want to work for Disney you get paid what they pay you, just because Iger or whomever makes more in a year then the entire staff of Disney World does not mean those workers are entitled to more pay because of it, the CEO of Disney like it or not has a harder job than the person pointing two fingers towards the restroom when asked.
Problem with this attitude is that if you pay $10 in this sort of market, you're going to get a $10 worker. Which is fine if you're running the local carnival and you really only need someone who can point to the bathroom, but if people are paying hundreds of dollars in admission alone they're going to expect more. Put another way--If I wanted to get sullen vibes and souvenirs for my kids, I could have saved $9,990 and taken the family to McDonald's.

The whole thing seems designed to attract Disney cultists--if the pay is the same and the atmosphere better, "normals" will work at Sea World/Universal. I guess that's what Disney relies on to keep the level of service up.

Lilofan

Problem with this attitude is that if you pay $10 in this sort of market, you're going to get a $10 worker. Which is fine if you're running the local carnival and you really only need someone who can point to the bathroom, but if people are paying hundreds of dollars in admission alone they're going to expect more. Put another way--If I wanted to get sullen vibes and souvenirs for my kids, I could have saved $9,990 and taken the family to McDonald's.

The whole thing seems designed to attract Disney cultists--if the pay is the same and the atmosphere better, "normals" will work at Sea World/Universal. I guess that's what Disney relies on to keep the level of service up.
Don't agree. A number that are immigrants make far short of $10 per hour in the home country. Some that can work for $10 per hour here in the USA are grateful.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The blame if there is any for outrageous CEO salaries lies usually with the board of directors.

CEOs of public corporations get paid based on the recommendations of the board of directors. The pay package can include salary, bonus, stock options, and deferred compensation,
The problem is the board of directors isn’t really independent- its a society of candidates that all are incentivized to treat each other good so the favor is returned elsewhere.

nevermind the power struggles that go on to stack boards

celluloid

Don't agree. A number that are immigrants make far short of $10 per hour in the home country. Some that can work for $10 per hour here in the USA are grateful.

I don't think one of the top regarded names in terms of quality should rely on the lackluster standards of other countries to where the minority can be grateful that they are no longer in with worse conditions. Logical Fallacy there.

Examples of that mentality that does not work would be:

Be grateful your hotel room at the moderate resort has a leaky faucet that is not that keeps you awake all night with no one addressing it, some hotels have leaky roofs!

Be thankful your child's teacher is rude to girls, in other countries they don't even let them in the classroom!

There may be some who are grateful, for the immediate pay and experience(you don't have to be an immigrant for that)but even those eventually find their efforts are appreciated elsewhere and can grow. Eventually, that immigrant is an American and is not going to put forth as much effort if they can earn better with better treatment elsewhere. They moved countries for a better life and work, they will move jobs within the same city or state.

eliza61nyc

It's really easy to say that, but the fact is, while companies are hiring like mad, they aren't paying well... Locally they have opened a new luxury oceanfront resort (Maren) they put an ad out that they were hiring front desk staf...Now mind you, the Front Desk staff is a quest's first and usually only point of contact with the hotel. They would be required to be well groomed and dressed and handle guest problems all day long.
The pay they are offering for this position?
$10.40/hr...
Wal Mart Greeters make the same amount. And how is someone working full time at this hotel supposed to be able to afford to live let alone have freshly starched shirts every day.
Average cost of a 1 bedroom apartment is over $1000.00/Mo and that is not a nice 1 Bedroom apartment. So let's review... 40 hour week at $10.40 hr+ $416... After taxes it would be less than $300... in a month the max take home pay would be $1200.00...from which you have to pay your rent, feed and clothe yourself, and get transportation to and from work... There are a lot of jobs available out there but unfortunately in most cases, they are not paying enough to survive on...
They do the math you just did and recognize that they cannot afford to stay there AND they take it upon themselves to NOT make it a career.

Lilofan

The problem is the board of directors isn’t really independent- its a society of candidates that all are incentivized to treat each other good so the favor is returned elsewhere.

The board of directors of companies seem untouchable unless a scandal comes their way.

Lilofan

I don't think one of the top regarded names in terms of quality should rely on the lackluster standards of other countries to where the minority can be grateful that they are no longer in with worse conditions. Logical Fallacy there.

Be grateful your hotel room at the moderate resort has a leaky faucet that is not that keeps you awake all night with no one addressing it, some hotels have leaky roofs!

Be thankful your child's teacher is rude to girls, in other countries they don't even let them in the classroom!

There may be some who are grateful, for the immediate pay and experience(you don't have to be an immigrant for that)but even those eventually find their efforts are appreciated elsewhere and can grow. Eventually, that immigrant is an American and is not going to put forth as much effort if they can earn better with better treatment elsewhere. They moved countries for a better life and work, they will move jobs within the same city or state.
Lackluster standards of other countries? Then you don't know some immigrants cleaning rooms, working in kitchens, etc. Some make far less in their countries in professional positions which some did. I know when these folks told me their stories. One reason they take these higher paying jobs ( cleaning rooms, kitchen work, other manual labor work ) compared to what they made per hour in their country can be two examples, - lack.of English or in some places - working undocumented.

seascape

The worst room I ever had while visiting WDW was at The Dolphin. The refrigerator wasn't working, something I heard from others was common and the toilet broke and leaked everywhere. WHAT DID THEY DO FOR ME? MOVED ME DOWN ONE FLOOR IN AN IDENTICAL ROOM WITHOUT A WORKING REFRIGERATOR. I would never stay at any of the 3 resorts run by such a terrible company. None of the Disney resorts or even the Bonnet Creek Resorts nor the Disney Springs resorts have been as bad The Dolphin, Swann and Cove.

celluloid

The worst room I ever had while visiting WDW was at The Dolphin. The refrigerator wasn't working, something I heard from others was common and the toilet broke and leaked everywhere. WHAT DID THEY DO FOR ME? MOVED ME DOWN ONE FLOOR IN AN IDENTICAL ROOM WITHOUT A WORKING REFRIGERATOR. I would never stay at any of the 3 resorts run by such a terrible company. None of the Disney resorts or even the Bonnet Creek Resorts nor the Disney Springs resorts have been as bad The Dolphin, Swann and Cove.

Totally agree there. Every time that place has gotten new management, it has gotten worse.

draybook

Sounds like most businesses right now. We're having record turnover rates and instead of paying wages comparable to our competitors, they went with giving us all our own personal little Bunt cakes and certificates for showing up for work during the pandemic. No, I'm not joking and I work for one of the 3 big pharma companies that are included in that huge federal opioid lawsuit. We are losing people to competitors who are literally paying $3 more an hour to start along with bonuses and production bonuses and the 🤡s in charge can't figure out why people are leaving.

The only reason I'm still there is that I'm almost 14 years in and finding something paying as much or more than what I'm making at the start is almost impossible.

skypilot2922

the problem is interlocking BoD’s. I’ll recommend X million for your CEO If you vote for Y million for My CEO.

if BoD members could sit on only one board much of tge cronyism would go away

flynnibus

Premium Member
the problem is interlocking BoD’s. I’ll recommend X million for your CEO If you vote for Y million for My CEO.

if BoD members could sit on only one board much of tge cronyism would go away
Thats not a solution.

the point is predicated behavior - not horse trading between companies.

if you were known to be a hardass against exec pay and bod comp why would those in power bring you in?

boards are stacked with people they can easily convince to play along… or do so to build that iou roladex for later

Lilofan

HR is there to protect managment, they are NOT your friends at most companies. At a large company recruiting is probably the ‘best friend’ to have as they know where the jobs are.
Seems like you didn't file a complaint on your issue and just formed an opinion.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom