Disney executives have come up with the answer to rock bottom Cast Member morale

eliza61nyc

So the emphasis when hiring a wdw janitor is to move them up as quickly as possible? How long can someone stay at a job before they aren’t “bettering themselves.”?

If a business can’t stay in business and pay living wages those businesses should close because they are not being run properly. (Not sure where 70k comes from though, that’s a bit high for a living wage).

If WDW cm’s were paid a living wage they wouldn’t qualify for low income housing so it wouldn’t matter to them.
I think a bit of personal responsibility has to kick in. If you choose to work as a janitor you also must be realistic. You can't get mad at the company 10 years later whining about your position is poorly paid. The emphasis should be for that janitor to realize he's in a minium wage position and for him to start thinking long term

2. Hogwash. Most big companies are run to do what they do. Provide a product and provide a return on the investors money. A restaurant is not run poorly because it's waitstaff can't live off their salary. The industry determines the salary, generally it's something like 8/hr plus tips
Locally along with nationally service jobs are scrambling for workers even while raising their wages a bit. One reason is that many folks are not returning to their server jobs, they recognized that these jobs are going to cut it long term

Service industry jobs again are not designed to pay 28 dollars + hour nor should they be.

Again I'm using cost of living in my area which unfortunately is the sky high northeast.

The reason why I said 70 k is because a few years ago the McDonald's workers were complaining that minimum wage was not enough,. NOW their complaint is 15.00/hr is not enough. WTH?? With the latest gas and grocery hike, they are screaming they need 20/he. So yeah in a few years that janitor is going to be complaining that he needs to make 100k to live.

Lastly wasn't there a report out of California that said when the minimum wage went up to 15 bucks all employers did was cut folks hours? I thought I read that.

Just my take

Last edited:

Skibum1970

So the emphasis when hiring a wdw janitor is to move them up as quickly as possible? How long can someone stay at a job before they aren’t “bettering themselves.”?

If a business can’t stay in business and pay living wages those businesses should close because they are not being run properly. (Not sure where 70k comes from though, that’s a bit high for a living wage).

If WDW cm’s were paid a living wage they wouldn’t qualify for low income housing so it wouldn’t matter to them.

It all really comes back down to cost of goods sold and profit. Labor is typically one of the highest costs when producing a product, regardless of industry. At the same time, companies, especially publicly traded companies, need to make a profit to stay in business and even to invest in advancements of their product. Thus, they build a business model that is based on trying to keep labor costs lower so that they can supply affordable goods.

So, take that $4.00 quarter-pound cheeseburger from McDonalds. It costs that much due to labor costs and ingredients with a profit margin built in. If labor costs rise to a "living wage" level, that quarter-pounder would probably cost more like $10-12. Now, this spreads out over an entire economy and all of a sudden that living wage is the new poverty line and now even the middle class is compromised because their salaries did not rise accordingly. The comment that "a business should close if they can't pay living wages" is not realistic. Yes, they could pay living wages but no one could afford their products anymore.

Minimum wage jobs were never meant to support a person. They were meant to be entry-level that you could work at while preparing for your actual career. Unfortunately, factory jobs, which used to be a predominant job for people just out of high school, are not as numerous as they used to be and even require some training/skill sets for roles such as CNC milling and other jobs.

CaptainAmerica

So you might be thinking that when faced with rock-bottom Cast Member morale due to worse-than-ever working conditions, executives at Disney would consider things like paying a living wage, a 5 day max work week, giving cast a chance of requested days-off being granted, or even a realistic chance of actually enjoying the parks as a guest with their entrance benefits.

Nope. Instead they have spent the last year on coming up with "Cast Belief Statements."

For the Magic Kingdom, the think-tank came up with "In this, The Most Magical Place on Earth, we are the magic. This is OUR moment!" and for EPCOT, "We belong to a worldwide family, united by our possibilities."

I'm sure this will have a profound impact on Cast Members and make them forget that they are overworked, undervalued and ready to be dropped as soon as the going gets rough.
They also took a near-universally disliked executive from ESPN and made him the head of HR for the entire company.

Brilliant!

TrainsOfDisney

Minimum wage jobs were never meant to support a person.
Yes they were.

“It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living.” - FDR

Now if you’d like to argue with FDR let’s go to the hall of presidents thread :p

eliza61nyc

Yes they were.

“It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living.” - FDR

Now if you’d like to argue with FDR let’s go to the hall of presidents thread :p
Lol 😂 FDR didn't have to deal with Americans who want tee shirts for 1.99 and burgers for 79 cents
Didn't the cm's just get a new contract??

Skibum1970

Yes they were.

FDR was also wealthy, came from a family of wealth, and never had the same concerns as those that he said he represented. He was also just as quick to extort political opponents to get what he wanted. While I fully respect the work he did while president, I also would not hold him to be the source of all truth. People are fond the phrase, "Follow the science". That phrase holds true with regards to finance as well. Understanding finance, econ, accounting, and other aspects (far beyond what I know) is necessary to understand how each piece fits together and also the ripple effects of changing wages.

Regarding the morale of the Disney workers (which I don't have any real knowledge about), a new contract might help but actual recognition and not making unrealistic demands of workers (if that is the case) would go a long way towards improving. Of course, I also tend to subscribe to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

Smiley/OCD

Yes they were.

I don't know where you're getting your information, but you're wrong...The minimum wage began in 1938 to stop one thing, and one thing only...sweat shops in the US. Many immigrants (including my grandfather), were paid 25% of what American citizens were making at the same job, and there was no law to combat it. That's why the Fair Labor Standards Act was passed and became law in '38...to stop business owners from paying substandard wages. Everyone was on equal footing. That wage was not a "living wage" for my grandfather, and he often worked 3 jobs along with my grandmother and still managed to raise 4 kids. It was because of this discrepancy in wages in the early half of the 20th century that led to the formation of labor unions in the US. My grandfather was one of the early organizers of the garment unions in NJ...to combat the practice of sweat shops. I was in management my whole professional career, so my take on unions is MUCH different than non-management, and is a whole different discussion. Minimum wages by design were NEVER meant to provide someone with a living wage, just to equal the playing field between the immigrants and citizens. Please don't try to disparage everything my grandfather worked for to attempt to make a point, because you're DEAD wrong...and if you learned that in school, your teacher(s) were/are DEAD wrong.

Tony the Tigger

If a business can’t stay in business and pay living wages those businesses should close because they are not being run properly.
That’s arbitrary nonsense.

A job is worth what a job is worth, having zero to do with the expenses of the employee.

The simplest example: You can’t pay someone $80 a day to ring up $75 dollars a day. And no, that does not mean it shouldn’t exist. Is a business not allowed to grow?

lazyboy97o

I don't know where you're getting your information, but you're wrong...The minimum wage began in 1938 to stop one thing, and one thing only...sweat shops in the US. Many immigrants (including my grandfather), were paid 25% of what American citizens were making at the same job, and there was no law to combat it. That's why the Fair Labor Standards Act was passed and became law in '38...to stop business owners from paying substandard wages. Everyone was on equal footing. That wage was not a "living wage" for my grandfather, and he often worked 3 jobs along with my grandmother and still managed to raise 4 kids. It was because of this discrepancy in wages in the early half of the 20th century that led to the formation of labor unions in the US. My grandfather was one of the early organizers of the garment unions in NJ...to combat the practice of sweat shops. I was in management my whole professional career, so my take on unions is MUCH different than non-management, and is a whole different discussion. Minimum wages by design were NEVER meant to provide someone with a living wage, just to equal the playing field between the immigrants and citizens. Please don't try to disparage everything my grandfather worked for to attempt to make a point, because you're DEAD wrong...and if you learned that in school, your teacher(s) were/are DEAD wrong.
You should tell Franky he is wrong describing his views.

TrainsOfDisney

The simplest example: You can’t pay someone $80 a day to ring up $75 dollars a day. And no, that does not mean it shouldn’t exist. Is a business not allowed to grow?
$80 a day would be $10 an hour. Is anyone actually taking jobs for less than $10 an hour? (Not counting tipped positions of course..)

It seems to me the smaller and local businesses usually pay employees better anyways.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Say what you will but Disney HR has done a wondrous job at convincing people picking up garbage that they aren't janitors, they are actually actors in a show!
They used to try harder
Very true. I have seen non costumed cast non custodial cast tidying up the theme parks and hotels. Keeping the show nice and pretty is a joint effort.
That’s one of their old things that really doesn’t make much of a dent anymore
Where are you seeing this? I haven’t heard anything about this.
Did they forget to run it by you first?
The best case and point is IBM. Talk about a company that has gone from Hero to Zero. I left there because of precisely what is described in this post. IBM hired entire departments dedicated to laying off employees. It was a once-a-quarter action that mostly goes unnoticed by Wall Street. Many big companies do the same thing. They are all building the company for Wall St., not Main St. In Disney's case, that is probably more true than anywhere.

Hey!!! You leave General Electric outta this!! 😡

Higher pay may not be the only answer. The cost of housing in the area is insane. It's got to be very difficult for a part time or even full time cast member to afford even an apartment anywhere near close to the parks. Some kind of cast member housing solution could help tremendously.
Doesn’t matter…the other “suppliers” of necessities will get at the pay anyway. It’s telegraphed and they are always ahead of it.
Behind MK is a huge apt independent housing complex for CMs. One has to meet low income requirements to live there.
Much of Orlando is.
Disney should build a huge complex for Cast member housing on some of the land they purchased south of WDW. I believe there was already an approved development there.
They should not…because few people WANT to live in rent controlled, corporate housing.

seascape

I agree with yout historical views of sweatshops. However, it was piece work that allowed my mother-in-law to build her business. She came from Italy with almost nothing but her sewing skills. She not only worked during the day but brought work home so she could make extra money to buy a home and then a small business. Unfortunately, thanks to the way the unions eliminated piece work, we have no more garment industry. It has been exported to China. The immigrants to the US were and are hard working people and were willing to work. They are not asking for handouts but opportunity.
Americans on the otherhand are lazy and want everything handed to them. The idea that many here think working 40 hours a week doing anything should provide them with an income that would give them a nice home, car, furniture, jewelry and expensive clothes and yes yearly vacations to the Orlando themeparks, show how foolish they are. My Mother-in-law worked 60 to 70 hours a week, built a successful business and achieved the American Dream, but only because of her hard word and desire for her daughter to have a nice life. Today, many here think just because they were born here the deserve everything. Life is not easy and shouldn't be. Work hard, study, take steps to improve yourself and don't spend more than you make. It is easy to build wealth if you are willing to work hard and save something every week. My father taught me there are two ways to make money, you at work and your money at work, and your money at work is easier. Save, invest and in the future live off your money's work. Don't ask for others to pay for your lifestyle, pay for it yourself. It may be hard but it is rewarding.

castlecake2.0

They used to try harder

That’s one of their old things that really doesn’t make much of a dent anymore

Did they forget to run it by you first?

Hey!!! You leave General Electric outta this!! 😡

Doesn’t matter…the other “suppliers” of necessities will get at the pay anyway. It’s telegraphed and they are always ahead of it.

Much of Orlando is.

They should not…because few people WANT to live in rent controlled, corporate housing.
Just saying that I haven’t heard anything about this anywhere. Maybe it just hasn’t been shared with cast yet? If these are our new slogans then someone forgot to tell us.

Smiley/OCD

Yes they were.

Well, he's not here to defend himself, and I'm sure he thought the average American could survive just on social security in their "golden years" we BOTH know that's not happening. It's not just Disney...everyone's complaining about paying almost $20.00 for a 2 x 4 at Home Depot, which is adding almost 30k to the price of a new home...Just imagine if HD paid EVERY associate your "living wage"...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom