Disney executives have come up with the answer to rock bottom Cast Member morale

Epcot82Guy

The big problem is that dialogue at these major corporations can't happen. When it's a top-down mentality where you have removed empowerment from your workforce, neither pay nor recognition can fix this. People want to be heard and to feel like they can do their jobs. That is lacking in many major corps, because the main floor and executive offices have grown so distant. And, while I love my HR colleagues, many HR "schools" and "programs" fuel the problem. Much of modern corporate theory puts Wall Street growth as a pristine god on a pedestal, so you can't always look honestly at what needs to be done. And here we are. Often, though, this doesn't end well over time. But, again, it's not unique to Disney - only sad because they used to be an exception in a sea of similar years ago.

montyz81

The big problem is that dialogue at these major corporations can't happen. When it's a top-down mentality where you have removed empowerment from your workforce, neither pay nor recognition can fix this. People want to be heard and to feel like they can do their jobs. That is lacking in many major corps, because the main floor and executive offices have grown so distant. And, while I love my HR colleagues, many HR "schools" and "programs" fuel the problem. Much of modern corporate theory puts Wall Street growth as a pristine god on a pedestal, so you can't always look honestly at what needs to be done. And here we are. Often, though, this doesn't end well over time. But, again, it's not unique to Disney - only sad because they used to be an exception in a sea of similar years ago.
The best case and point is IBM. Talk about a company that has gone from Hero to Zero. I left there because of precisely what is described in this post. IBM hired entire departments dedicated to laying off employees. It was a once-a-quarter action that mostly goes unnoticed by Wall Street. Many big companies do the same thing. They are all building the company for Wall St., not Main St. In Disney's case, that is probably more true than anywhere.

Higher pay may not be the only answer. The cost of housing in the area is insane. It's got to be very difficult for a part time or even full time cast member to afford even an apartment anywhere near close to the parks. Some kind of cast member housing solution could help tremendously.

I thought they had housing for the college program?

Are you suggesting Disney build house for "regular" workers?
They do for the CPs, but I'm wondering if it may be something good for Cast Members also? Or at least try to secure some agreements with local 3rd parties to provide more affordable housing opportunities for the CMs

dreday3

They do for the CPs, but I'm wondering if it may be something good for Cast Members also? Or at least try to secure some agreements with local 3rd parties to provide more affordable housing opportunities for the CMs

I think that's a bit above and beyond to expect a company that you work for to also supply you with discounted living arragements.

dreday3

It’s literally the reason Walt Disney World exists…

It’s not dedicated to Team Members, but Universal Orlando Resort is developing an affordable housing complex and plans to develop more.

What is? The workers? Housing? You used an ellipse at the end of the sentence implying you left something out. Obviously you should have left it in because I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Affordable housing complexes available to everyone in the area that companies help finance is very different than Disney building housing specifically for their employees. (well never mind, apparently Disney already does have one for their cast members!)

Perhaps Disney, Universal, SeaWorld and so on should all finance an affordable housing complex.

Last edited:

Lilofan

What is? The workers?

Affordable housing complexes available to everyone in the area that companies help finance is very different than Disney building housing specifically for their employees.

Perhaps Disney, Universal, SeaWorld and so on should all finance an affordable housing complex.
Behind MK is a huge apt independent housing complex for CMs. One has to meet low income requirements to live there.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Flamingo Crossing is not just for CP’s. It is in fact available to all cast members and has an income level attached to it.

seascape

Flamingo Crossing is not just for CP’s. It is in fact available to all cast members and has an income level attached to it.
Disney should build a huge complex for Cast member housing on some of the land they purchased south of WDW. I believe there was already an approved development there.

TrojanUSC

This is always a problem at Disney. Most hourly CMs have never even met their Area Manager/Proprietor, let alone the GM or VP. Obviously it's tough to have that kind of personal interaction when the VP of MK has 7,000 people under them, but at the same time get out there and walk the park, have talkback sessions, etc.

lazyboy97o

What is? The workers? Housing? You used an ellipse at the end of the sentence implying you left something out. Obviously you should have left it in because I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Affordable housing complexes available to everyone in the area that companies help finance is very different than Disney building housing specifically for their employees. (well never mind, apparently Disney already does have one for their cast members!)

In order to live at EPCOT one had to be employed at Disney World, either by Disney or one of the participating companies.

Disorbust

Falmingo crossings was planned for the CP program. When that was stopped Disney let CM rent there. It isn't that much cheaper then the regular apartments in the area but is furnished and is a way of getting roommates to "split rent" and not be on craiglist and have individuals on the lease.

My daughter has been working for Disney virtually since the shutdown. She didn't resign her lease and came home to work because everthing was so unknown. Now she is looking to go back and the rent in her old apartment went up 325/month which is a 20% increase, and her salary has not changed besides her yearly increase.

Her old roomate who is a park CM is in a aprtment now where they are literally rotating sleeping on the couch (5 in a 2BR) in order to make rent.

Mindy55

So you might be thinking that when faced with rock-bottom Cast Member morale due to worse-than-ever working conditions, executives at Disney would consider things like paying a living wage, a 5 day max work week, giving cast a chance of requested days-off being granted, or even a realistic chance of actually enjoying the parks as a guest with their entrance benefits.

Nope. Instead they have spent the last year on coming up with "Cast Belief Statements."

For the Magic Kingdom, the think-tank came up with "In this, The Most Magical Place on Earth, we are the magic. This is OUR moment!" and for EPCOT, "We belong to a worldwide family, united by our possibilities."

I'm sure this will have a profound impact on Cast Members and make them forget that they are overworked, undervalued and ready to be dropped as soon as the going gets rough.
Well said!

John park hopper

Disney will be passing out happy pills to all CM (nominal charge of course) at the beginning of their shift. Housing will be provided
Unknown.jpeg

Sarcasm

Lilofan

Falmingo crossings was planned for the CP program. When that was stopped Disney let CM rent there. It isn't that much cheaper then the regular apartments in the area but is furnished and is a way of getting roommates to "split rent" and not be on craiglist and have individuals on the lease.

My daughter has been working for Disney virtually since the shutdown. She didn't resign her lease and came home to work because everthing was so unknown. Now she is looking to go back and the rent in her old apartment went up 325/month which is a 20% increase, and her salary has not changed besides her yearly increase.

Her old roomate who is a park CM is in a aprtment now where they are literally rotating sleeping on the couch (5 in a 2BR) in order to make rent.
It is not just in Central FL. When a family member sold one of our cars to a buyer, the transaction in cash occurred in the buyer's apt. In the small living room alone, there were approx 4-5 mattresses on the floor that were used by occupants in the apt. Who knows how many slept in the bedroom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom