Disney Digs Deep Into Marvel's Sack Of Obscure Superheros

JimboJones123

From MTV.com

Yesterday was Stan Lee's birthday, so it seemed appropriate to celebrate with some thoughts from the comics legend himself on the likelihood of seeing more movies based on characters he co-created back in the day for Marvel Comics.

"The funny thing is, I think all of them will come to the screen sooner or later," Lee told MTV News, "because they're always looking for new properties, and Marvel has more than anybody."

Lee reiterated his belief that the Sorcerer Supreme, Doctor Strange, will eventually find his way to the big screen, and name-dropped a few other characters he expects will make their live-action debut some day.

"Doctor Strange I'm sure will be out. You probably know they're working on Ant-Man now," he added. "Every one of the Marvel characters, there's somebody working on it. Somebody is trying to put together a story that will work."

"It's just a matter of time — they can only do so many a year," he explained. "You don't want to flood the market. I'm sure [they'll do] the Black Panther, eventually."

And as comics fans are well aware, DC isn't the only publisher with a famous WWII her in Sgt. Rock. Lee added his belief that Marvel's very own head of the Howling Commandos could find his way to the big screen, too.

"If they ever want to do a war story, we have Sgt. Fury," he said. "We already have Colonel Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. who pops up in so many of these. In fact, there might one day be a S.H.I.E.L.D. movie."

"It's just a matter of them sitting down and saying, 'What haven't we done yet?'" he laughed.

Which Marvel character would you like to see in his (or her) own movie? Let us know what you think in the comment section or on Twitter!

JimboJones123

DAMN. Forgot about him. Apparently I don't know my X-Men rules :(

I shall redeem myself. Meet:

Razorback

razor.jpg

Shanna the She-Devil

shanna.jpg

& my personal favorite

Power Man

pm.jpg

Power Man, or Luke Cage has been very front and center as leader of the New Avengers in Civil War and in Secret Invasion.

EPCOT Explorer

Oh man, I just read my post over, and wow do I need to proofread what my stupid fingers type! :lol: But anyway...

I happened to be reading The Imagineering field Guide to Disneyland earlier today. In the New Orleans Square chapter, the author notes that the land contains two of the most difinitive Disney attractions of all time: HM and PotC. I think at that point I stopped reading and thought, "Well have we had any attractions like those since the sixties?" When you think about it, few attractions in Disney parks today match the sensitivity to design that those attractions have. I don't know what the differences in design practice between 1967 and today are, but there is a big difference, very often a lacking, in the depth of attractions created more recently as opposed to those thought of as "the classics."

I know there are talented people working in Imagineering. I know there are talented people working in Animation. I know there are talented people working in the Studio. The ability and the desire is there. Disney just needs to believe that it's Disney again, and not some pixie dust-pumping machine. I think the attitude is the defining factor, not the ability.

As applied to Marvel, Disney can do this right, but they have to let themselves.
Don't mind the typos! :lol: I type horribly, it's the meaning of the post that needs to get across and it did very well. :lol:

Bolded..EPCOT. EPCOT opened with 4 HUGE attractions on that scale. One opened a year later. ...How many are left now? Two, and one is really a shell of it's full potential. (UoE...so many things not used. SSE, the other one, save for the decent is really a bit of EPCOT Center come back in the 21st century in most respects.) The thing is is that they were unique. Not already tied to a Disney story. That's what we need to return, I think something not immediately thought of as Disney, but slowly made into that through quality, storytelling, and showmanship.

Agreed in full :)

JimboJones123

Don't mind the typos! :lol: I type horribly, it's the meaning of the post that needs to get across and it did very well. :lol:

Bolded..EPCOT. EPCOT opened with 4 HUGE attractions on that scale. One opened a year later. ...How many are left now? Two, and one is really a shell of it's full potential. (UoE...so many things not used. SSE, the other one, save for the decent is really a bit of EPCOT Center come back in the 21st century in most respects.) The thing is is that they were unique. Not already tied to a Disney story. That's what we need to return, I think something not immediately thought of as Disney, but slowly made into that through quality, storytelling, and showmanship.

Agreed in full :)

The EPIC Imagination pavilion is less than a shell of its former glory.

EPCOT Explorer

The EPIC Imagination pavilion is less than a shell of its former glory.

Case in point, and a PERFECT place for them to return to this sort of showman ship. Figment and that whole concept IS borne of WDI. Very creative and unique in that.

I should also note that HKDL is getting a lot of attention in this respect. Mystic Manor, and Grizzly Gulch, while based off of already existing attractions really have no tie to any movie or other franchise. :D I'm happy about that. :lol:

WDW Vacationer

Case in point, and a PERFECT place for them to return to this sort of showman ship. Figment and that whole concept IS borne of WDI. Very creative and unique in that.

I should also note that HKDL is getting a lot of attention in this respect. Mystic Manor, and Grizzly Gulch, while based off of already existing attractions really have no tie to any movie or other franchise. :D I'm happy about that. :lol:

I always found it funny that Walt Disney IMAGINEering can't produce a solid IMAGINATION Pavillion.

There was an article in my local paper about Disney-Marvel,which I will try to get later,that said something that I was not aware of being noted before. That is that the Marvel headquarters will stay in New York. That should be interesting to have Disney and Marvel so far apart. It is also said to expect a rise of Marvel merchandise on store shelves.

EPCOT Explorer

I always found it funny that Walt Disney IMAGINEering can't produce a solid IMAGINATION Pavillion.

There was an article in my local paper about Disney-Marvel,which I will try to get later,that said something that I was nit aware of being noted before. That is that the Marvel headquarters will stay in New York.

And WDI could use it to their benefit...*coughBlueSkyAreacough*

And stay in NY? Cool. Queue the "z0Mg Dizneylnd in NYC!!1" rumors. :lol:

JimboJones123

There was an article in my local paper about Disney-Marvel,which I will try to get later,that said something that I was not aware of being noted before. That is that the Marvel headquarters will stay in New York. That should be interesting to have Disney and Marvel so far apart. It is also said to expect a rise of Marvel merchandise on store shelves.

Disney needs a NY office. Everybody has one.

JimboJones123

The White Queen looking down on the princesses and them looking back in fear is the greatest thing Emma Frost has ever been used for. Emma sucks.

WDW1974

Why don't you let Steve and the others do their job as they see fit?

I'm pretty sure they don't need you to tell them where things should go in their own forums.

I'm just trying to maintain the class, quality and integrity of the forum, Jake.

We've had a zillion Marvel threads already and some even had some relation to WDW.

Unless I missed it, this one doesn't.

But I'm out of it now ... hopefully, if it isn't moved, it'll die when the kiddies return to school.

What's new with you Jake? Any WDW (or other Disney) trips lined up for 2010?

And a happy and healthy new year to ya! :xmas:

WV_Jayola

I'm just trying to maintain the class, quality and integrity of the forum, Jake.

We've had a zillion Marvel threads already and some even had some relation to WDW.

Unless I missed it, this one doesn't.

But I'm out of it now ... hopefully, if it isn't moved, it'll die when the kiddies return to school.

What's new with you Jake? Any WDW (or other Disney) trips lined up for 2010?

And a happy and healthy new year to ya! :xmas:

If you are implying that this thread is staying alive because of "the kiddies" being comic fans, you are sadly mistaken. most anyone around the comics industry at this point would tell you, comics are mostly being made for adults now. the story lines are much more sophisticated, they've brought in many actually novelists (such as Brad Meltzer and Charlie Huston), as well as Television writers (such as Joss Whedon, Brian K Vaughn), and the fact is...

"the kiddies" are all reading Manga. they aren't paying that much attention to what Marvel and DC are putting out.

jeff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom